· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    ^^^Now that I think about it have to agree with KevinVA a few Golden Panchax would look amazing in there and would contrast very nicely with your Turquoise Rainbows.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

2 Not allowed!
    Killies and pencilfish...both types I have not kept in many years. Awesome suggestions! I will certainly look into them. I am interested in some of the Blue Gularis Triton is working on...however I have no idea if they would be top dwellers.

I am running pressurized, DIY on any tank over about 30G is hard to keep concentrated enough to truly mess well. I only have a paintball setup going as it is much easier for me to source paintball cylinder refills locally. The best thing I can offer is whatever type of setup you opt for...misting the CO2 is the most effective means of diffusion I have ever used. Not to mention it is easy, simply get a venturi pump and hook your CO2 line to it. For even better results get a RVT pump which makes a really fine mist...I am getting better results now than when I used an in-line reactor.

The Golden killies would look stunning with the other fish! Would they work out with the Blue Gularis?
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not too sure. AFAIK both species inhabit the same zones of the tank. Which is the top and middle sections, although Golden Panchax tend to stay towards the top of the tank mostly. It all comes down to the room you have ya know? You already have quite a few fish in there. If I was going to add anymore fish I'd stick to one species. Personally I'd pick the Panchax, as I've never really liked other killifish, such as the Blue Gularis, as their colors tend to look like a child's painting, ya understand what I mean? Along with that preference I just believe Golden Panchax would look better in your tank in contrast with your other fish and your plants. Its all down to what you like though!!

Oh and if you're wanting a purely top dwelling species I'd say go with the Golden Panchax over the Beckford's Pencilfish that I first mentioned. Unless you have quite a bit of surface cover the pencilfish will stay in the middle zone of the tank rather the the top. They're gorgeous fish but I'm sure you don't want another middle-zone schooling fish as you already have your tetras. I'd definitely check out the Golden Panchax if I were you.
    Last edited by Gesp56; 03-03-2014 at 03:46 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Haha, you probably don't like Guppies or Apisto Cacatuoides, then?

I love fish with color. The Blue Gularis is a stunning fish imo. While Killis do hover up at the top for a good portion of the day, they definitely get around and utilize the entire tank. At least mine do. I have Golden Wonders, which get quite big for Killis, and they're somewhat semi-aggressive. You'll have to watch them if you have smaller fish (about ~1" or smaller), but otherwise they're fine. I haven't heard any horror stories regarding the other Killi species, though. Also, they'll eat RCS.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    I am running pressurized, DIY on any tank over about 30G is hard to keep concentrated enough to truly mess well. I only have a paintball setup going as it is much easier for me to source paintball cylinder refills locally. The best thing I can offer is whatever type of setup you opt for...misting the CO2 is the most effective means of diffusion I have ever used. Not to mention it is easy, simply get a venturi pump and hook your CO2 line to it. For even better results get a RVT pump which makes a really fine mist...I am getting better results now than when I used an in-line reactor.
    Thanks Jenn, I appreciate it. =]

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Yup can't stand most guppies or A. cacatuoides. They're just not appealing to me whatsoever. I tend to really like sleek fish with solid colors, instead of shiny bodies, or fish with nice tall bodies that resemble sunfish. I currently own 1 GBR, 10 Beckford's Pencilfish, 8 Dwarf Pencilfish, 2 Apistogramma trifasciata, and 3 Otos. Other than the Otos all the other fish stick to the guidelines of what I really like in fish. It all comes down to what MCHR really likes in a fish but personally I believe the Golden Panchax would be the best choice for this tank. As KevinVA said they can be aggressive but I've seen on numerous occasions them living happily with rainbowfish and tetras that are too big to eat. I've read about the Blue Gularis also and they're semi aggressive as well and can grow pretty large, almost 5 inches, so both have risks.

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Jenn,

I tried messaging you, but your inbox is full, so I hope you don't mind my asking you this here.

I'm researching the various methods that people use and I think I'd rather go the pump direction. So I'm probably going to buy the Rio Plus 600 Venturi pump (this one: http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Plus-Ventu...=ATVPDKIKX0DER).

Like I said before, I'm very new to this and a little nervous about taking the first step, but I hope you can confirm what I need below:
    - rio pump to inject co2 into the tank via micro bubbles
    - CO2 line to prevent leaks
    - regular airline check valve
    - bubble counter or drop checker
    - co2 generator (canister of co2)
    - co2 regulator

Is that everything?

Thanks much for the help!

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    If your contemplating pencilfish, go with the most colorful, Nannostomus mortenthaleri.

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

1 Not allowed!
    That is the same pump I am using. That is all the equipment you'll need as well All I run is the regulator, check valve, pump, drop checker. No bubble counter or anything else...I havent even bothered to use CO2 tubing as it is a total PITA to work with. Silicon airline is what I am using as it is black and some folks have tested it on PT.net as having nearly 0% CO2 loss.

Check ebay out for regulators, AquaTek makes some quality regulators at under $100. They make a standard or paintball version to fit anyone's needs.

I had considered Endlers...but otherwise I am not a fan of guppies. I do like the idea of Killies and the Goldens would especially look nice against everything else. I dont mind if the species occasionally patrols other areas I just want a species which is primarily top dwelling. I will have to do some research on Killies. Does anyone foresee an issue with them and the Embers?
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Embers are fairly small, if we're talking about the same species, but it all depends on the temperament of the Golden Panchax if we're talking about whether or not you'll lose Embers to predation. I don't think you'll have to worry about it as ember tetras are seem just big enough and tall-bodied enough to avoid being eaten but I've never own Golden Panchax so I don't really have experience with what they can and can't put in their mouths. It doesn't hurt to try it. I've read in several places that people have kept Golden Panchax with neons and other small tetras with ease but there are those cases of them eating smaller fish. Its all up to what you want to risk.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast