· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Jenn's Tank Room

0 Not allowed!
    As some know I recently bought a much smaller home and will be moving within the next month With that comes brand new aquariums and and hopefully a revamp to both my personal life and my aquarium life. I want to get back to my roots of fish keeping and focus on cichlids...weed out the fat so to say of my collection and only keep the species which I am truly interested in. In the new home I am going to keep a dedicated tank room/office something I have always longed for. It is the 1st floor bedroom which is a 12ftx13ft space.

I spent the evening painting this room a nice dark "purpleish grey" or as Glidden would say "stormy night". It got me thinking about what I want to see in this room tank wise so I decided to draw up a plan and this is what I have came up with so far...

125G-A.orbicularis, G.abalios, H.species "rotkeil", L330 Royal...barren hardscape only sand, rock, and wood
    75G(possibly 55G depending on space)-high tech planted with 260 watts PC lighting and pressurized CO2....dwarf hovering loaches, ember tetras, endlers, giant HMPK, otos. hoping for large shoals of the loaches and embers
    50G-lake tanganyikan fish...bare hardscape with my ocelatus gold, julies, inkspot calvus, and leleupi
    40G-male green terror...bare hardscape of sand, wood, rock
    37G-moderately planted with some wild swordtails, and c.nanoluteus
    5G-thai import super red betta

I will also have a 75/90G in the living room featuring some wild discus and the SO has a 12 year old fantail goldfish which will be in the bedroom in its own 29G.

This will be a slow progression...but hopefully an interesting one
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like a nice packed room! My living room was similar, no free wall space whatsoever! When someone offered me a sofa, it took me a while to figure out which tank to remove.

In that picture you posted, the door, does it open into the room or out of? Looks like that aquarium could be in the way if it opens into the room . Might need to put a door stop on the aquarium stand to keep the door handle from going into the tank!

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds great! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of all those great tanks and fish.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    Nice.

I would love a room with that many tanks
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!

If you 'scape' a room with the same planning, Thoughtfulness & attention to detail you apply to a tank . . Well, Lets just say the expectations are high :-P.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    The "door" for the room is shoji screen pocket door...so placement of a tank isnt an issue. This room is just off the living room so I thought it would be nice to see some light filter into the main space from the tank room. I hope the tanks wind up being nice...and with the cichlids and plain hardscapes many of them should be very easy to keep up
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    I say ditch the sofa and get a round ottomon for the center of the room, or a rotating recliner.

Would give you room for 1 more tank, or a bigger one than the 125 :)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85
    I say ditch the sofa and get a round ottomon for the center of the room, or a rotating recliner.

Would give you room for 1 more tank, or a bigger one than the 125 :)

AHH! Great idea. A rotating recliner placed in the center of the room would be sweet. Not just any recliner mind you, but one that's comfortable enough to fall asleep in.

Good luck with everything Jenn. I'm sure the room, as well as the rest of your new house will turn out just fine.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller
    The "door" for the room is shoji screen pocket door...so placement of a tank isnt an issue. This room is just off the living room so I thought it would be nice to see some light filter into the main space from the tank room. I hope the tanks wind up being nice...and with the cichlids and plain hardscapes many of them should be very easy to keep up
    I like your idea for the pocket door, saves a lot of space and will take an old tradition and give it a modern feel. I have no doubt that your tanks will end up being nice.

But, why would you ever need a TV in that fish room? Oh..late night TV viewing for when the tank lights are out?
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Once you get things going in there, you will change your mind 5 times but I think a grouping of furniture together would be neat. Like, your desk, your couch (or loveseat) and your TV situated together for a lounging area and your tanks around the parameters.

You could put your couch in front of the TV with a coffee table (center of room) and your desk where the 50 or 37 is marked to go. Make sure all your heat ducts are not blocked and you can reach all your tanks with your python.