· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    that's great everything is back under control and the fish are doing better. Looking forward to meeting your new group in a few weekss

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    glad the ich is cleared up and you're on the down hill stretch! Good job treating and keeping on top of it.
    Thanks FM. Haven't seen any spots since day 3 of treatment. Will do the magnifying glass check before starting to lower the temp. I have one tetra that is not feeling well, but everyone else is doing fine. Another tetra had his tail bitten off, so hopefully he will grow it back like Shorty the danio is doing. Shorty's tail is about 3/8 inch long now.

Also, during the treatment all fish poop was white - noticed yesterday that it is darker - not black yet, but almost.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I to am glad you over the sickness. Ick has always been around, it's all the old text's talked about in their section on disease and will probably still be around when we are all out of the hobby.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1 View Post
    I to am glad you over the sickness. Ick has always been around, it's all the old text's talked about in their section on disease and will probably still be around when we are all out of the hobby.
    I'm glad it's over, too. New fish will now be quarantined for 4 weeks - I'm taking no chances. I also won't be going to that LFS again. I remember when I was a kid, my brother (he is MUCH older than I) had an angelfish tank and a tank with black mollies - the mollies got ich. I still remember how they all looked like they had been rolled in salt! Not many survived.
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Oh yeah Mollies and Clown loach's to name a couple, are more likely to contract Ich than other fish, for whatever reason.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Question

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I do believe I am done with the ich - hallelujah!!! No signs of any spots on any fish. I did lose the pristella tetra that wasn't feeling well, but everyone else has come thru the high temp treatment with flying colors!!!

Last Saturday I started to lower the tank temp - it took 3 days and is now at 78, 79, 80, 82 - I don't know.

I have 5 thermometers in the tank and 2 heaters. I know that both heaters, even though set to the same temp, may not be heating to the same temp. I started with my 2 regular tank thermometers, a Coralife digital placed on the back right, down low and a glass one placed on the front left, up high. These 2 have been within 1 degree of each other since the tank was set-up. The Coralife are accurate to + or - 1.5 degrees.

I thought I should probably check these 2 units just to be sure the heaters are set correctly. I added my other digital unit and another glass one (I use these when I make my RO/DI water - one in the tub and one to check the temp from my faucet). I placed a digital and glass one right next to each other on each front end of the tank and I now have 4 different temps:

Right side:
    Digital 79.4
    Glass 80.0

Left side:
    Digital 78.3
    Glass 82.0

I assumed I did not have the heaters set properly, so I adjusted them to match exactly. The weather here has warmed up so now my heaters aren't turning on as the air temp is 77-80 deg. I still have 3 different readings:

Right side:
    Digital 79.9
    Glass 79.0

Last night I bought a 3rd glass one, put it on the right side:
    Glass #2 80.0

Left side:
    Digital 79.0
    Glass 82.0

It appears that the right side is pretty accurate between the 3 units. Based on how I have the heaters set (at 77-78), I would think the left side digital is correct and the glass one is wrong, but I don't know.

Question: Are the glass ones more accurate or is there any other type of thermometer I can get that would give me a more accurate reading than what I have? I will try switching them around tonight and see what happens.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 05-30-2013 at 08:05 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Wait a minute here... You're using 5 different thermometers in one tank?!

I think by utilizing more than one thermometer, you're causing yourself grief. It's never going to be exact, when you're comparing 2-5 thermometers at different areas of the tank. Some are closer to lights, others are closer to thermometers, closer to outtakes, intakes, etc. There's always going to be a slight difference in some way.

In my opinion, the old fashioned glass thermometers are more accurate and more stable. The digital thermometers are good for taking quick temps and getting it within a good range (for water changes, etc).

It's good that you're being thorough, but I think you're going to drive yourself nuts, trying to reach that perfect temp w/ all of those thermometers.
    Last edited by KevinVA; 05-30-2013 at 09:02 PM.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    You're probably right - I am going overboard on this! I only added the additional thermometers to verify the temp on my original 2 units. Prior to the ich outbreak my tank was at a steady 77.2 on the digital and 78 on the glass - I was very happy with that and never fiddled with the heaters or thermometers. After lowering the temp last weekend, I wanted to be sure that the final adjustment on the heaters was as close as I could get to both sides of the tank being 77-78 deg. Because the digitals can be + or - 1.5 deg, I didn't know which unit had the right reading or if the tank temp was 79.4 or 78.3 - both would be too high. When I put the digitals right next to each other, there is a 0.9 deg difference.

Right now I am concerned with the 82 deg reading from the left side glass unit. With the heater set at 77-78, that reading seems wrong. I will switch out the glass ones tonight and see if the right side glass one reads 82 on the left side and visa-versa.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I finally settled on which two thermometers to use - 1 digital and 1 glass. The digital is reading 79.0 and the glass is reading 78, both at mid tank. I think the 78 reading is correct, as the digital can be off by + or - 1.5 deg. I'm returning the glass one I just bought as it is reading 3-4 deg higher than all the others and has a funky looking red line with blank spots all along it.

Awards Showcase

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    Did a slight change to my aquascaping - I removed the driftwood, as it was only there for my BNs (I still really miss them). I really like the change and so do the fish. They like to hang out where the DW was and seem to enjoy the extra space that suddenly opened up.

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast