· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Boof's 10g

Default Boof's 10g

3 Not allowed!
    Okie dokie! Yay for new journals!!!

I have finally decided to do something with the spare 10 gallon we have sitting in the closet. We used to have albino African clawed frogs in the tank, but it has some nasty water stains and we had replaced it with a new 10g about a year ago (the new one eventually became our betta tank once the frogs passed away).

I was torn; I couldn't decide if I wanted to just buy another new 10g, or try cleaning this one out. I went back and forth for the last month and finally decided to just quit being lazy and clean this one out. I'm going to fill it with a 50% vinegar solution, let it sit for a day or two, then scrub it good with the plastic brush attachment that came with my algae scraper. If that won't work, I will just suck it up and buy a new tank.

Anyway, enough about the dirty tank haha

I had stumbled upon Takashi Amano and his beautiful aquascapes a little while back, and have been becoming increasingly more obsessed with that aspect of this wonderful hobby for the last month or two. While both of my existing tanks are planted, they were already established/stocked by the time I took the "planted plunge..." I never really had the chance to plan out, exactly, what I wanted them to look like from the very beginning. With this tank I will be able to play with decor/plant placement before the water even goes in, so that I can make the tweaks necessary to make it into the living art that I hope to achieve. If I crash and burn, at least I will have had fun in the process!

The tank will be fishless, but might see the occasional animal as I'm kicking around the idea of using it as a QT when the need arises.

Although I love what people have done with driftwood, I will not have any in this tank. I really like the contrast rock gives with plants, and have been accumulating many different sizes/shapes during our evening walks for the last couple of weeks. I want to go for a look that is simple yet elegant. I still have to decide what plants I want, but I think a nice carpet of dwarf hairgrass along with a few tall stemmed plants in the back corners would flow nicely with the rocks I have selected.

The substrate will be Eco-Complete, and I'm thinking I would like something high-powered for lighting, but without all the bells and whistles of my Satellite+. I was looking at some Finnex fixtures, as I'd like to stay LED, and they seem to offer some pretty potent lights that won't break the bank. I am undecided as to whether I'm going to try squeaking by with just Excel, or if I want to invest in a CO2 setup. I actually just got some Excel for my other tanks, so I'll see how well that works before I decide to spring for all the CO2 stuff. I know it's not "liquid CO2," but it is an alternative that I do want to try first. Finally, I'm going to go with a simple Aqueon filter as we've been using them for years without issue. As this tank will be plants only, I don't need a fancy filter. This will be mainly used for water circulation.
    29 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    10 gallon - Aquascape - Journal
    10 gallon - 1 slightly neurotic betta (does not play well with others...) and a snail

1 Not allowed!
    Subscribed.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure how much the members here know about aquascaping. I'll give a brief outline of the basics that I've researched for those that aren't familiar with it. For those of you that are experienced with aquascaping, please feel free to chime in with suggestions and/or corrections. This will be my first go at it, so much of my initial explanations on the subject will be derived from material I've found online as opposed to personal experience. I hope I can make this as interesting and fun to follow for you all, and maybe it might spark interest in some of you who aren't familiar with it.

*pause while catching breath*
    10 gallon - 1 slightly neurotic betta (does not play well with others...) and a snail

1 Not allowed!
    Aquascaping is a form of artistic expression that has become more and more popular over recent years. It involves creating visually-pleasing aquarium arrangements using certain guidelines for plant, driftwood, and rock placement. As with most artistic works, there are different techniques to be used and different styles. I will touch upon each style, to the best of my understanding. Again, if I give out inaccurate information, please feel free to correct me. Also, I will attach some photos that I have obtained from public domains as visual examples; I do not own any of these photos. The four main styles are:

Dutch:

image.jpg

This style lacks hardscape elements. This means no driftwood/rocks, except for the use of creating anchors for certain types of plants. The aquarist relies entirely on the plants, their shape, and location. This style brings focus more to the individual plants (color, size, shape, etc.) than it does the tank itself. A Dutch tank incorporates many different plants, and most are shaped/trimmed for aesthetic purposes, much like a gardener trimming their hedges into specific shapes.

2 Not allowed!
    Iwagumi:

image.jpg

This style is the opposite of the Dutch. It uses a minimalist approach and does not have much variety in plants. Usually only two or three types of plants - usually carpet/low plants - are selected. The style is characterized by its use of hardscape. Rocks are arranged in a way that there is usually a main standing stone, called a Buddha Stone, which is accompanied by several smaller "attending" stones.

1 Not allowed!
    A very intriguing journal! I'm tuned in.

1 Not allowed!
    Nature:

image.jpg

The nature aquascape is the attempt to recreate - obviously - the natural setting. The aquarist uses rocks, plants, driftwood, and substrate to mimic how it would look like in a real stream/lake. This style was popularized by Amano as he wanted to recreate the environments he was studying/photographing. A decent understanding of how underwater settings are structured is required in order to design the layouts needed for this type of scape.

0 Not allowed!
    Jungle:

image.jpg

The last type of aquascape can also be the most impressive. With this type, the vegetation is allowed to run rampant, creating a chaotic and dense environment. The jungle style tends to be the one that requires the least amount of effort as wild growth is encouraged so regular trimming is not needed.

1 Not allowed!
    I have my heart set on the iwagumi. I have always had a fascination with Japanese culture and their ability to make beautiful works of art while taking a minimalist approach.

I have already collected a nice selection of rocks. Once my substrate comes in I will be able to start playing with different arrangements. I'm so excited to get this project going!

Awards Showcase

For the new fish ;-) - steeler58 Here's to new fish and shrimp ;-) - steeler58 Sorry about your Cat I hope she/he rallies - steeler58 Thanks for all the thumbs up ;-) - steeler58 So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. - Slaphppy7 New gifts show still show up : ) - mommy1 Thanks for the help! Cheers! - BluewaterBoof new school fish. - cm12setx Thank you! - BluewaterBoof 

1 Not allowed!
    Wow, that is going to be beautiful...love the simplicity in this style.
    75g. heavily planted/CO2 w/ DW. Stock: tetra, gourami, cory, oto, loach, threadfin, pleco, shrimp, and nerite/mystery/mts/assassin snails
    5g. planted w/DW, EMPTY
    5g. pending tear down, EMPTY
    10g. CYCLED!!! Orange shrimp, and Chili rasboras
    20L CYCLED!!! Blue Pearl Shrimp, Epsei and CPD

My 75g:
    My 10-20L Shrimp tank