· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Default 20g Community Airplane Crash Site

2 Not allowed!
    Hello,
    My 8 year old son has been interested in fish for several years now. At this point is obviously something he really wants to do not just a passing, "Ooooh, Mom, look at the fish!" So, despite already having 2 cats, a dog, and a parrot,
    his dad and I finally caved this Christmas, and bought a tank setup in early December. The stand we purchased can hold two 20g tanks, so maybe, eventually, when we live in a house with more outlets instead of an apartment, and Kiddo is able to help more with maintenance we will get another one.
    The tank is a Marina brand because of the unique hood style. The tank itself does not have the typical black border for a hood to set inside, but instead the hood sets over the outside edge of the bare glass. This seemed more stable, and because of the chance of cats attempting to climb on in the more stable, the better. Here is a pic of the initial set up from 12/14/14:
    That set up ran for one week with no fish, but we decided to cycle with fish since it allowed Kiddo to have fish by Christmas, and fits our plan for stocking the tank. We are using it as a reward system as Kiddo struggles with some behavior issues (and so we use everything we can as a reward system). If he has a good week then, on Sunday, we go to the pet store and get more fish.
    On 12/21/14 we got 3 neon tetras, which almost immediately got ich. Today they will have been ich free for 3 days, and so will be the last day of medication and tomorrow we will do a 50% water change and install a second, 30g filter to run for one week to let the bacteria colonize the media inside. Then we will take out the old, 20g filter at our weekly water change.
    On 12/27 we got some new plants, and added them during the water change. No fish to be added this weekend, maybe next Sunday.
    On 12/28/14, today, we trimmed a piece of the rapidly growing hornwort, tied it to a rock, and dropped it behind the cannon next to the parent plant. Here is the tank with the 3 tetras and new plants.

2 Not allowed!
    Be sure to read and understand the cycling with fish sticky...you've got alot of water changes ahead of you

You need to be testing params daily, any time ammonia is .50 or higher, a WC is in order
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

3 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

Cycling with fish can take some time and a little extra work, but it still can be a effect way to cycle a tank. You will really need to keep a close eye on the parameters and be ready for even daily water changes as neons can't tolerate poor water conditions for very long
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

1 Not allowed!
    Don't name those fish too soon

0 Not allowed!
    We've been doing daily water changes, initially because we just got fish then continued due to the ich issue. We've also been taking samples in to the LFS for testing (because I can't find a decently priced test kit, and they do it for free). So far ammonia has been good. One day I asked my husband to do it.... big mistake. When I came home he said, "...ammonia and one other thing was zero and there was some of something else. It started with an N." -_-

I'm thinking of dropping WC's to every other day, and we'll see how that goes. If ammonia is registering then go back to daily. My son and I have built up a daily routine of doing WC's an hour or so before dinner every day lol.

Stocking goal:
    neon tetras x6
    male guppies x6
    kuhli loaches x6

PS
    We found snail eggs today! We're excited not upset, though. I'll clear them out via lettuce trap if needed. For now it's fun to observe part of their life cycle. Kiddo loved it.

...off to do a WC right now.

1 Not allowed!
    @ James... yeahhhhhh they had names b4 they were out of the bag.

Cake, Doughnut, and Tiny

3 Not allowed!
    You really, really need to get a good test kit and do your own testing...

Lots of us here use this one: http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater.../dp/B000255NCI

And get some Seachem Prime to condition your water...it's great stuff

2 Not allowed!
    Ordered! ... how did I miss that one. I had Amazon sorting water testing kits by price and all I could find under $25 were kits with max 4 tests worth of supplies in them o.O Thanks Slaphappy7!

We have been using Fluval water conditioner and bio enhancer. Nutrafin is what came with the tank but LFS owner said that the Fluval was replacing it and it's the same thing.

Thanks for the recommendations!

1 Not allowed!
    No problem...when the test kit comes in, we're here if you have any questions on how to use it, or interpret the results

I would continue daily water changes of at least 50% until we can get a look at your water params..be sure to match the tap temp to the tank temp the best you can...how do you change water?...if you don't have a siphon type changer, I recommend you get one...makes water changes SO much easier...I use the Python brand (http://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python...+water+changer), but Aqueon makes one that is just as good

And do consider the Prime when you run out of the Fluval conditioner...it's concentrated, you only use a very small amount each time you treat, so a bottle lasts a good long time

It also will bind up and render harmless chemicals from your tap water (ammonia, ammonium, chlorine, chloramines) for 24 to 48 hours, giving your fish a safe environment until your BB (beneficial bacteria) can consume them.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 12-28-2014 at 10:57 PM.

1 Not allowed!
    Awesome! We've been doing 25% water changes. We use a gravel siphon every time, siphon into a 5g bucket (5g=25%), then we dump and while kiddo refills it with pitchers of tap water I measure out water conditioner and monitor the temp.

Tomorrow was a planned 50% because of today being the last day of medicating. The water test kit should be here by Wednesday at the latest or possibly on Tuesday, so we'll go ahead and do another 50% change if it doesn't come Tuesday.

The more concentrated the better, IMO - less space taken up.