· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 218 1231151101 ... LastLast

Default Slap's 5.5G Mega Tank

6 Not allowed!
    Well, "mega" compared to a betta cup, I suppose.

I figured I'd start a thread on this tank, instead of going on about it in my other thread.

As some of you already know, we had a mystery snail clutch hatch in a Tupperware bowl, and my daughter Lauren wants to try and raise some, so she brought home from Mrs. Slap's classroom that may or may not have a hermit crab or two still alive in it.
    We have one of those hermit crab plastic "habitats" that they can go into, and I will set up the 5G tank to temporarily house the snails.

I already have a filter and heater (both cheapos), some extra media, and a few rocks and deco. Not even sure I will use substrate with the snails, but if I do, I was thinking I'd try something different, maybe pebbles?

I have to get a lid (right now we have one of those fancy cardboard ones, in case a hermit crab were to attempt an escape).

I also need a light, and have no idea which one to get for a tank this small....may even consider one that clips on, don't want to spend alot....but I'd like to have moonlights, at least.

Anyhow, here's the (non-adjustable) heater, and the "Whisper 10" filter...check out how the impeller stays attached to the PU tube....talk about a weird design....and I don't think the motor even detaches from the filter!....how the heck do you clean the motor?....oh well, at least it does have an open well for media (after removing the cartridges)...and it works

IMG_2477.jpg

And here's the tank as it sits (on the floor) now...that piece of cholla is huge, I want to cut it up and use it in my other tanks

IMG_2476.jpg

After the snail experiment is over with, I may upgrade the equipment and make this a real tank...maybe some fancy shrimp or something

Anyhow, hopefully we'll get it cleaned up and running for the snails in the next few days....they can't stay in that tupperware dish forever...I've just been changing out the water in it every day w/water from the other tanks
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Holidays! - Boundava Merry Christmas! - Anders247 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Right back at ya! Happy Friday brother. - AmazonJoe 
    Back at you, glad your here ;-) - steeler58 Have a beer for the new fish and safe delivery ;-) - steeler58 vicariously sharing your Harleys - RiversGirl I could not rep you for you tank, so have a b-day cake for the little guy ;-) - steeler58 And a cool one for dad ;-) - steeler58 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof 

3 Not allowed!
    Right on, bud! I'm happy you finally get to have another tank! I think you'll still be able to make a really cool setup, regardless of size.

You have a great eye for visually appealing setups. Have you considered turning it into an aquascape? People make some killer scapes with nano tanks, and the small size would make it much easier to maintain. Having a dedicated scape tank will also give you something a bit different to play with, as opposed to just another fish tank (which is still awesome, don't get me wrong). Just tossing the idea out there. Some examples of nano scapes:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    29 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    55 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    10 gallon - RCS tank - Journal
    10 gallon - Carbon Rili tank - Journal

1 Not allowed!
    We shall see...those look really nice....but I'll have to be on a budget

For now, I just want to get the snails out of the way, and save some $ for when they are gone.

Link me to the Finnex clip-on lights?

Awards Showcase

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Holidays! - Boundava Merry Christmas! - Anders247 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Right back at ya! Happy Friday brother. - AmazonJoe 
    Back at you, glad your here ;-) - steeler58 Have a beer for the new fish and safe delivery ;-) - steeler58 vicariously sharing your Harleys - RiversGirl I could not rep you for you tank, so have a b-day cake for the little guy ;-) - steeler58 And a cool one for dad ;-) - steeler58 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof 

1 Not allowed!
    Sure! Here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LMH...AtL&ref=plSrch

I just don't know how much you'll like it since it won't have moonlight. That was a big issue for me with the full-sized fixture, but I'm going to buy one of those moonlight sticky strips off of FleaBay. I know you're working on a budget for this tank, though, so....

1 Not allowed!
    Hey, thanks!...great reviews too, this may be the one

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    No problem! It should be plenty bright for you, and offer great spread for the 5g. I saw a vid review with it on a 10g and it looked really good; should look even better on a 5. Price is also hard to beat. I'm all about budget shopping, and this is pretty much the cheapest LED option that doesn't sacrifice functionality. It's hard to find any others that offer the same brightness and spectrum.

0 Not allowed!
    Seems like since it has blue LED's, that you could just have them on for moonlight (?)

Haven't really had time to research it more, crazy busy at work today

Awards Showcase

2 Not allowed!
    I don't think so. Mine has the red and blue LEDs, as well. Per Finnex's product description for mine, the blues are there to help the colors of your fish to pop, and the reds are optimized for plant photosynthesis.

2 Not allowed!
    Got it....should still work just fine for my needs, and can't beat the price.

Thanks again.

1 Not allowed!
    Saw the title and was ??!! You and your word choice... It will be interesting to see how this turns out