· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Bully Black Skirt Tetra

0 Not allowed!
    Every now and again my Black Skirts will sort of swoop around and chase each other for split seconds, not nipping just chasing, however ive noticed one of them is worse than the others. He has taken residence at the centre of my tank and chases the others away if they come too close. I have White Cloud Minnows in the tank which arent being bothered at all, just the other Tetras. I only have 4 at the moment, will adding more stop this from happening? One of them has had his top fin ripped up a bit by the bully so something needs to happen.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Adding more should help. This sounds like a textbook case of what happens when you keep schoolers in too small of a group, especially since black skirt tetras, while not the most vicious schoolers, are nippier than most. If you have the space and the filtration capacity I'd aim for a dozen of them.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny 
    Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah 10-12 depending on your tank would help curtail bad behavior.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to both of the above

The last time I kept black shirt tetras, they were very nippy, and even a little aggressive at times until I increased the school size from 5 to 10. These guys really do need a larger school size
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well to be honest I wasnt planning on having that many, I was thinking of having 7 or 8 tops as they grow quite large and I only have a 27 gallon (31" in length).

I was planning to add 3 more once my tank has finished cycling, as I also want to have other species in my tank such as a Betta, amano shrimp, filter shrimp, dwarf frogs, and an Apistogramma Agassizii (according to aqadvisor I can do these species with 7 Black Skirts and still be under my tank capacity).

Btw I know a Betta + Black Skirts is commonly considered a risky move but ive seen a lot of examples of them being kept together with zero problems so im going to try it once my school has been built up. From what ive seen on youtube a school of Black Skirts keep to themselves rather than bother other fish in the tank, even my 4 dont bother the Minnows at all.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by serbusfish
    Btw I know a Betta + Black Skirts is commonly considered a risky move but ive seen a lot of examples of them being kept together with zero problems so im going to try it once my school has been built up. From what ive seen on youtube a school of Black Skirts keep to themselves rather than bother other fish in the tank, even my 4 dont bother the Minnows at all.
    OK - so why are you looking to "risk it"? It's not just the black skirts you would need to be concerned about - some bettas can be nasty with other fish as well.

Not all fish are recommended to be housed together whether or not others have done it successfully. Just my 2 cents.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by serbusfish
    Well to be honest I wasnt planning on having that many, I was thinking of having 7 or 8 tops as they grow quite large and I only have a 27 gallon (31" in length).
    I have 6 and they seem to be just fine. I have not introduced any other fish yet, so I don't have any experience to share about the current number and behavior when I do. My 6 are varying sizes too, I'll say 2 lg, 2 md 2 sl. They chase each other, even the smallest I've caught chasing around the largest. No signs of nipping though.

IMO it is very much trial and error in this hobby. Majority would say about Blackskirt Tetras best kept in group of 10+ and their know for nipping, but I've read posts where users don't experience this behavior in smaller groups either.

You need time to watch your fish, and if you see aggression take the new fish back. Most places are willing. It's not like the fish see you on the other side of the glass and go "hey we better behave as he's watching us". You should see the aggression pretty earlier on and have adequate time to take them back to store before to much stress or worse occurs to either fish. IMO
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

0 Not allowed!
    Never had nippy ones either but I've always have large schools. You just need a few more.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    OK - so why are you looking to "risk it"? It's not just the black skirts you would need to be concerned about - some bettas can be nasty with other fish as well.

Not all fish are recommended to be housed together whether or not others have done it successfully. Just my 2 cents.
    Because I really like them and want one, if I end up getting an overly aggressive one i'll take it back and get another, my local store always has dozens in stock.

Im definitely upping my Black Skirt school to at least 7, might consider a few more depending on how they behave towards each other + the Betta.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny 
    Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    In a tank your size seven should be fine.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep