· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Setting up a new External filter with existing tank

0 Not allowed!
    For Christmas my mum has purchased an external filter to replace the internal one from their Juwel Rio 300 tank, and I was wondering what would be the best way to go about setting it up? Will it need running alongside the old filter or could they simply put all there old media from the Juwel filter into it?

0 Not allowed!
    Which type of external filter is it. Provided the media will fit in the new filter you should be able to do that no problem.

0 Not allowed!
    if your tank is cycled yeah you can do that, Details on the new filter would help you get more specific advice.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would imagine all they would need to do is transfer all the filter media from one to the other unit. If it doesn't fit then you will need to run the new alongside the old giving some time for the new media to establish a BB colony.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 6 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, 2 Silver Hatchet's, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, 2 assassin snails.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    if your tank is cycled
    +1
    Assumed it was already cycled, but yeah good catch.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 6 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, 2 Silver Hatchet's, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, 2 assassin snails.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

Talking

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ijankrom
    +1
    Assumed it was already cycled, but yeah good catch.

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Its a JBL CristalProfi 1501, and yes the tank has been cycled for a few years. I was thinking some of the media could be cut to fit the other filter? And the filter also has 'white' media consisting of balls and pieces of tubing, will these house good bacteria too?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bump, filter is here, advice would be sweet :)

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hi, yes you need to cut some media to fit your new jbl. white media balls and pieces of tubing are good for housing bacteria. but it would be good & important to get some media from your other filter to kick start the bacteria in the new filter.

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I would run the two filters together for a few weeks to get the new one a bit seasoned and the new media at least partially cycled, then transfer as much of the media from the old filter into the new one. Less chance of a mini-cycle this way.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.