· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
  1. Default 150 gal Planted Community Tank Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm pretty sure I won't be getting the EBJD anymore. I'm envisioning the tank with this stock in the near future:

7 Bolivian rams (may get one more for the hell of it)
    12 emerald rainbowfish
    6 SAE

And either two dozen tetras or I may go ahead and lean towards a rainbowfish tank, maybe some bosemanis, red irians?

So another possibility will be

The 7 or 8 Bolivians
    12 emeralds
    12 bosemanis
    12 red irians
    6 sae

I know I would have to worry about the rainbows interbreeding but I'm pretty sure the fry won't make it, especially with the Bolivians scouring.

I'd really like to get some of your guys thoughts on this stock change, the Discus would hopefully be gone in 2 weeks but to source the other fish may take a little longer, times like these I could just order from liveaquaria lol.

Btw in the end of next year we'll be moving so ill finally have space for more tanks.

I'm thinking of an amazon biotope tank with adult WILD discus (at least 500 gallons), and Altum angels, so ph is probably going to be around 5 or lower with 0 hardness.

If I'm not able to figure out a cost efficient way to mix the RO water and run the tank ill just use regular tank bred discus instead.

I've always wanted a reef so I may look into that also at least 500 gallons. I will be lucky enough to have the opportunity to run all the plumbing beforehand has the house is yet to be built so that's a plus.

I envision the two tanks filtration be kept in one room and in that same room I keep a couple breeding and quarantine tanks.

This is of course just my hopes for the next year or two, who knows might happen by then. ( I wanted to build a massive shark tank too but I doubt that's going to happen lol)

That's all for now, looking forward to hearing your feedback, thanks again.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

0 Not allowed!
    You've got a mind like me. Hell, I would like to move in the next couple of years so that I can have a room dedicated to my aquariums - in addition to show tanks elsewhere.

I think a Rainbow Fish tank would look excellent, due to the variety of colors and activity. Should look fantastic with enough flow and their active schooling. If you do that, you need to get a video of it. ;P
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Ive always loved rainbows. My fav fish shop has a 300 with nothing but all types of rainbows. I personally love the yellow rainbows.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

4. Default 150 gal Planted Community Tank Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm rainbowfish/bolivian ram tank it is. I'm looking at some rare rainbows but the problem is getting them here locally.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Spent about 3 hours cleaning the tank today, trimmed the giant amazon sword down a to couple leaves. I uprooted it to do so and noticed a lot of dying roots so I trimmed those off also as there was new root growth everywhere.

Still battling cyno but the fish seem normal so far, the plants have none of the cyno on it yet as it seems to be contained to the sand. I noticed both the red Indian sword and giant sword have holes in the leaves. I doubt it's the snails as they're barely any left, I saw one today for the first time in a week. I know they're more but I can tell there's not nearly as many as there used to be.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I dont know man, snails are like water grasshoppers... you dont always see em but you definately see their destruction.

0 Not allowed!
    lol, true statement. Cyanobacteria is a tough one. The only thing that got rid of it for me, was Blue Green Algae Remover. Used it once, it was gone in 2 days and it never came back. It doesn't effect your bio filter, either.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Still waiting for those Discus to sell which is proving more difficult than previously thought, once they are gone I'm going to dose the tank with chemiclean to get rid of the cyno, or I may try the remover you suggested Kevin.

I was admiring my rainbows the other day so I decided to do some more research on them. Apparently they are more commonly known as Lake Wanam rainbowfish which explains why I was only able to find scarce information on 'Emerald' Rainbows. According to what I've read, they are critically endangered in the wild and 'pure' strains are quite rare in the hobby. I am not a geneticist by any means but as far as I can tell the colour markings of the fish I have are a picture perfect match to the stock scientific images of the Lake Wanam/Emerald Rainbowfish which got me pretty excited. I am going to try to breed them when they reach sexual maturity and I get another tank for a trio. I may even pick up some more from my supplier this week if he still has but he only sells by the pair. Compared to what I've seen they retail for online I get a pretty good deal, a pair for about $18 US.

Once I sell those Discus I may even increase my stock list from 12 to 30 of them now that I know how rare they are. More to come as soon as the Discus are gone, btw I finally have enough funds to import and set up my Discus grow out tank, just debating whether or not to shell out the cash for an Apex Lite system hmm.

0 Not allowed!
    That's an interesting find. Looks like their population has been replaced by introduced Tilapias. It'd be nice if you could breed them.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Ya know... this calls for a

Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast