· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
  1. Default Surprise!

0 Not allowed!
    Alright guys here it is, as always all comments and criticism is greatly appreciated and accepted.

So here's what I did in detail, took out the wood, hosed it down, vacuumed the entire substrate, (my neck is still killing me), added roughly 15 plants, aubias, crypts, my baby crinium natan (very rare plant to get locally) and 4 female Bolivian rams, bringing my total to 8. Sadly one of the initial 4 was a mean bugger and had to be removed because he was bullying my discus, can't have that so brings my total to 7, 2 males and 5 females, I think.

Added some hardscape with the lava rock and I tied aubias down to a couple pieces to see how well they would grow, btw the entire substrate is normal pool filter sand supplemented by flourish tabs.

I think that's pretty much it for now, within the next month I'll be getting rid of these 6 discus, removing the heater etc and importing some high quality strains to grow out, but that's another journal for another time. :)

@KevinVA, thanks for your support bro, I didn't try the snail thing yet because I knew I was going to be adding more plants so I wanted to wait and catch whatever snails might have snuck their way into the tank on the new plants.

If anyone has any questions etc, it's greatly welcome, thank you.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I need suggestions on what I should add to my tank after I get rid of my Discus, any suggestions, maybe one or two large 'show fish'?

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Very pretty 'minimalist' tank. I like it. As for center's for it, it depends on what you want to do as far as genre. If you are getting rid of the Discus you could do a number of things. Depending on aggression, you could get some of the paratheraps sp coatzacoalcos.. Or do a couple really colorful sevrums. I just feel your tank really lends its self to discus so the avenue you go is really going to grow to what you really love.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cool I'll look into those, I should have been more specific, I love discus, they're the reason I initially got into this hobby, I recently bought a 65 gallon for a grow out tank for some Discus I'll be getting in from Kenny's Discus, probably next month. Most likely buying 6-8 4 inchers and growing them out to 8+ inches, they'll then go into a 'mega tank' next year.

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    What are you doing with the 4 in the tank now? To bad you arent near me if you are getting rid of them lol.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 6 actually lol, 2 blues, 2 albino leopords, and 2 eruptions, I'm trying to sell them right now.

0 Not allowed!
    Great job on the rescaping mojo. I'm digging it. The Anubias are pretty cool plants - you'll notice the rhizomes creeping around the rocks. Mine are doing that with my piece of Malaysian driftwood, right now. Takes a while (at least for mine), but they're getting there. Of course, they have a ways to go, to get to wherever they're going in order to affix themselves. Can't wait to see your tank when things are more settled and your plants are growing out. I'm sure it'll look fantastic.

Word to the wise, you may have some pond snail egg sacks on your new plants. Take a look around (on the stems, under the leaves, etc - if you want to take the time) and you can eradicate them before the new ones hatch. ;]

150gal is a really nice sized tank for some big species. What I'd do with that sucker... and then you're getting another mega tank?! I envy you, my friend. I'm with Sandz on the Sevrums. Maybe a school of Blood Parrots? You could also do a Jack Dempsey - the Electric Blue JDs are beautiful.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yo thanks Kevin, I inspected each plant before I put them in lol, left them out for quite some time and kept wetting them with a spray bottle, pretty sure I got all of them but I could be wrong.

The more I look at the alternatives makes me realize how special Discus really are lol. I think I like the electric Blue JD the most out of all the suggestions but would they be compatible with my tank? I would think not, I read that they're aggressive and have to be kept with hardy plants, would I be able to get a male/female or just one male etc, I have absolutely no experience with JDs.

0 Not allowed!
    Haha, I'd prefer you keep your Discus, as well, but I know that EB JDs play well with others, merely because Fishmommie has one with her Sevrums, Red Parrots & GBR. I know they're territorial... and plants with most Cichlids are going to be pretty iffy. I personally haven't had any experience with the bigger Cichlids, though, so hopefully someone around here can lend some helpful advice. Next tank I get is going to be the one! ;P
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Haha yeah I love my Discus but they aren't growing as quickly as I'd like in a community tank which I knew would have been the issue from the start, I'll do some research on the JDs and see what I come up with, hopefully if I decide to get one it doesn't decimate my tank. I'm sure you'll enjoy my Discus grow out Journal once I get things up and running

Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast