· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Haha yeah, pretty constant temperature here year round under the island sun. The only reason I'm purchasing the heaters is to maintain a stready 84 degrees. The lowest I've ever seen it get was 81.4 degrees.

0 Not allowed!
    Looking good, Mojo. I like the added Sword in the middle. Too bad about the Pleco, but I get what you're saying. I've never seen something poop as much as my Opaline Gourami... As soon as I removed the rocks from my 75gal, it created a toilet for him... Gourami poop - everywhere. lol

If you want to add some color via plant, have you ever thought of a couple of Dwarf Lillies? Very pretty plant that will grow extremely well in medium-high light. They come in bulbs and also feed well from the substrate.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks man, yeah exactly!, that pleco converted the tank into a toilet basically haha.

I just took a look at those lilies, they look like they would give some added shade and cover for my discus also. I contacted my supplier to see if he has any, might be tricky getting them here.

This may be a stupid question but I have no experience with bulb plants, lilies etc, would they grow in such hard water? I would assume so since people generally put lilies in ponds right.

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, they'll be fine in hard water. They're pretty hardy plants. The only thing I'd be concerned with is your pH. I'm not sure how they'd do with 8+, but I know they can tolerate a good range of pH, as well. It might be worth a shot. Bulbs are pretty easy, you can either lay them on top of the soil and allow them to dig their roots down into the substrate, or you can bury them. Mine have done fine buried - I'd rather not have a bulb sitting on top of the substrate.

I'd recommend some nice looking stem plants, but I won't... because I've dealt with them and they're a pita. That, and you have cichlids which would probably uproot them, anyway. Ok, Ludwigia repens are nice, but I still can't stand stems. Way too easy to screw them up.

Edit: Red Tiger Lotus would be nice in there, as well. =]
    Last edited by KevinVA; 12-31-2012 at 04:07 AM.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks I'll definitely look into the lotuses. I have sand as my substrate but I use flourish tabs and I haven't had any problems so far. The only thing is that I tried a common amazon sword and it didn't do so well, melted away, I changed it to a red indian sword and it flourished, apparently it can handle a ph of 8+.

I've never had a problems with the discus and plants but I still don't want to go with the ludwigia, too messy in my opinion and I agree, way to easy to mess up.

Hopefully when I get the lotuses and lilies they take to my water, I'll be burying them for sure, they'd stick out like a sore thumb if I didn't, thanks again for the suggestion.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just a minor update today, for the last couple days I've been powerfeeding nls thera a pellets 3-4 times and siphoning the substrate with 40% water changes daily, just to test the process out. I noticed some pretty interesting behavior, two of my bolivian rams are a pretty pronounced pair, the other two, male and female, seem to stay away from each other but hopefully that changes. Their colors have become increasingly vibrant with the yellow getting deeper and the red actually being prominent now. A couple of my male emerald rainbowfish have developed really dark dorsal and anal fins and I noticed one of the males has a yellow vertical stripe on his forehead. Hopefully they breed :D, I'm trying to get a good pic of them but they all come out blurry.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Edit: I spent about 30 minutes observing my bolvian rams and I noticed that one of them that I previously thought to be female has slightly extended rays. I've read that some females may have this feature but now this has be worried that I may have 3 males and one female, I will post a video when I can to better determine exactly what I have.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mojosodope
    Edit: I spent about 30 minutes observing my bolvian rams and I noticed that one of them that I previously thought to be female has slightly extended rays. I've read that some females may have this feature but now this has be worried that I may have 3 males and one female, I will post a video when I can to better determine exactly what I have.
    How's the tail looking?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Much like the confirmed female but has slight rays on the edges.

0 Not allowed!
    Could be a younger male, who just hasn't fully developed his characteristics yet.

Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast