· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default Mojosodope's Endangered Species 150G

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, I'll be using this thread to track the progress of my tank for anyone who is interested :)

It's a 5ft x 2ft x2ft 150 gallon which has been established since August. I initially wanted to go with a Discus only tank but I have recently decided to switch it to a Community tank.

I'll be posting pics tomorrow but here is what is going on as of now. I have had 6 Discus since August and they're doing great, no sign of illness etc.

My tank water parameters are as follows: 8.4 pH, 7GH, 8KH. 80 - 82 degrees with no heater. Filtration is a Fluval Fx5, Coralife 36W UV Sterilizer in line, and a sponge filter rated for 100gallons.

I do a 60 % water change every 3-4 days.

I recently added 12 emerald rainbow fish, 6 male, 6 female, 4 bolivian rams, I think I have 2 female 2 males but I'll pics tomorrow for you guys to help me determine what I have, and one male albino bushy nose pleco, looking for a female to add.

Currently the only thing I have planned to add is 6 juvi clown loaches to deal with my snail problem and a female abn for my boy. Pics tomorrow and I welcome any suggestions or ideas for my tank.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a pretty nice set up one thing i will say is isnt your a bit too hard for discus and bolivians ? but if its working for you its working. Looking forward to see the pics.
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think 5'x2x2' is 180 gallons. Yay, more space!
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    nope, I wish!, it's 149.61 US gallons or 124.58 UK gallons, not accounting for the thickness of glass and water displacement for the sand and driftwood. I assume it's closer to 120 US gallons of water when I account for everything.

@BiGBlak, thanks for your comment man, that was my initial worry when I first got discus but my pH is stable at 8.4 year round and I think that's more important than a low fluctuating one. Also I'm not looking to breed them. My bolivians on the other hand I got from a guy who breed them in my exact water parameters so I know they can handle it, they're still juvies tho, I'll post pics a little later once the glare on the tank goes down.

On another note, I left a moon light on last night to see what would happen and I woke up with a bunch of black fish mess all over the floor, I'm not sure which of them made so much mess but I'm assuming it's the emerald rainbows. Did a water change and siphoned all of the crap out.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Keep in mind that discus are slow eaters and will not run to their food. Most of time discus fish food will fall to the bottom and they will search the bottom for food. So avoid aggressive fish (like other cichlids) in the tank because they'll eat the food and your discus could starve. And stay away from fish that are as big as or bigger than your discus.
    Generally you should also stay away from fast moving fish because discus are very shy and fast swimmers can intimidate them. I'd avoid danios and barbs and rasboras which can also be nippers. Not sure on the rainbows - I know some are very fast swimmers so that may be a problem.
    Also not sure how those rams will work out as they, too, are cichlids and may be too aggressive for the discus.

A good match would be cory cats (instead of the loaches), cardinal or rummy nose tetras. All are non threatening fish.
    Just food for thought...
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for your suggestion! the emeralds are pretty fast but I make sure to hand feed my discus daily with freeze dried black worms, they all eat and if anything they show complete dominance when feeding off the nls pellets which I have on an auto feeder. I didn't go with small tetras because the intake on my Fluval Fx 5 would surely suck them in and I wasn't going to put a pre filter sponge on it.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm a little concerned with a few things. The pH is "very" high for Discus and the rams both.

The second thing is that rainbows are very active, fast swimmers, and fast eaters that might be a little stressful to Discus that are slow moving, timid fish. The older the rainbows get, the more active. Also, in order to have your temp of 84 for the Discus, that is somewhat high for the rainbows who tend to thrive in cooler temps.

Make sure your Discus get a good quality pellet as a food source, as well. If all they eat is worms, they will get to where they will eat nothing else and miss out of the vitamins in the pellets. I would not feed them worms all the time but a couple times a week.

With the pH that you have naturally, this would have been a perfect mbuna tank actually. But you do have a nice looking tank and the background looks really nice, too. Good luck.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 12-29-2012 at 11:03 AM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your advice LH, I appreciate it.

I know my pH isn't ideal for Discus and rams but I bought them from sellers who raise them in very similar water to mines. The discus breeder has hard water and I got the rams from a guy who breeds them at 8.2. Also I like to think I haven't had any problems to date because 1.) my pH is stable 2.) my GH and KH, while hard, is only 7-8 on the api scale which is moderate. 3.) fairly stable temperature.

I agree completely with the rainbows and I will be moving them early next month to a dedicated 65 gallon with just emerald rainbows. My tank currently doesn't have any heaters and runs around 82 -83 degrees which I know is too low for Discus but I have already ordered two 250 watt jagers and will install them as soon as I move the emeralds.

On the concern about the diet, I feed a combination of new life spectrum Thera A pellets and discus formula pellets three times daily. With the exception of one, all my discus are pretty bold, the rainbows only attack when the pellets fall from the top - mid level range. Afterwards the rams and discus have a go at it on the bottom. I also feed the freeze dried black worms 3 times a week, I try to alternate between that and tetra color bits.

I know my water would be ideal for mbuanas but I really don't like African cichlids at all and I was looking for something "different". I know the discus may not have as high a spawn count in my water but they're being breed more commonly at pH as high as 8.5, some even higher. Again thanks for the compliments and the time you took to give your advice.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Beautiful tank set up! I have the same water conditions and am setting up some similar tanks in the near future. Great fish! Over the past few years I am becoming less and less conscerned on PH/GH unless im using wilds. Its easier to aclimate up and be stable than to waiver PH and IME the lower ph water is much more variable. Ive bred rams and discus in liquid rock before as well.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for your compliments! I'll look forward to seeing your set up in the future. When I first was researching Discus I was extremely worried about ph/gh but the more I read the more i realized it was the stability that mattered with Discus and fish keeping in general for that matter. Having water such as ours could be seen as a disadvantage but we have an edge when it comes to stability compared to people with a lower pH. Like you said, wilds are a complete different story, beautiful fish tho.