· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Exclamation Betta Behavior?? Question!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

I have had Genghis my make betta for a few weeks now and absolutely love having my first betta. He always swims up to the glass and says hello.

My question is around his behaviour, he seems to lay around alot. I read that it could be temperature related so i double checked and its running at 79 degrees, im doing 50% water changes each week, the tank is 21 liters.

Ive often seen him laying down inside one of the ornaments or on the gravel, but the moment he sees me he comes zipping up to the glass so doesnt seem sick. He eats pretty well and is feed betta pellets and brine shrimp as a treat sometimes.

IS this normal or do i need to do something else? could he be bored?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    21 litres is a five gallon tank correct? Or is that a two gallon?

Anyhow i've see my betta Rose lay on his side in the fish tank every once in a while (it's a ten gallon) some like playing tricks on ius like that. And yet you go up to look at them and it's like they weren't trying to play 'dead' on you.

If you are concerned check your ammo, nitrite and nitrate readings with your API FRESHWATER MASTER KIT. If you haven't already bought one of these, do it. Takes longer to get a reading, but they're more accurate.

Hope this helps. Also if that amount of litres is less than a four gallon, i would recommend upgrading his space to at least a four to five gallon, which is the minimum for a betta by itself.

10 gal - 2 algae eating shrimp, 4 cherry shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 2 blueberry shrimp, 1 bronze cory, 1 peppered cory, 2 pc driftwood and planted
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Shidohari,

21 litres is just under 6 gallons so should be a good size for him?

Ill run some tests on the water and see how its holding up

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mine likes to do that. He likes to stick himself to te filter. First day I bought him home I thought he was dead. Turned the filter off and he swam away. Checked him 10mins later and he was back there.
    He can get himself off with ease so now I leave him to it.

I think they are lazy fish as it is. Doubt there is anything wrong with him but best to check your water

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank size is very good for a Betta, no concerns there. The temp though should be running at 82 degrees they like it warmer than most tropical fish. They can do well at a community tank at 78, but if he's by himself, give him the temp he will do best in.

As for laying around, its not uncommon for first time Betta owners to think their Betta is dead! Its just laying there in the leaves, or somewhere in the tank, then "pouf", darting around. This is not uncommon, Betta rest a lot unless there is something for them to do.

Make sure there is plenty of silk plants or live plants with leaves for him to rest in, its not good for a Betta to be on the bottom of the tank, where the detritus rests. If he is not seeking to lay on his side on the bottom all the time, then you are likely dealing with normal resting Betta behavior.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Tiari!!

Ill get the temp up a bit for him then!

Ive got a decent sized silk plant plus a live soft hair grass plus a few little ornaments which he will sometimes sit on.

I was worried at first as he looked just like a sick tropical but since he does exactly as you say, sitting down then zipping around!!

Thanks for your help!!!

Awards Showcase

am sure I deserve a few of these... lol - Cyberra Thanks for sharing your X-stitch fish pillow project! - Aminax for being prone to computer problems - Cyberra happy birthday to me... August 29th - Cyberra earned ANOTHER one... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh - Cyberra 
    I dub thee official greeter to the forum! - korith Happy Belated One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue You need another betta! - Pleco380 it birtha the birthday betta XD - genocidex A birthday betta for you. - mermaidwannabe 
    You need a popsicle after wheelbarrow races! haha - escamosa Where there's plows, there's piggies! :) - escamosa You need some grapes, 'cause they were mentioned in the riddle! haha - escamosa to congratulate you on 2 years! - andreahp Here's one Christmas present! - Rue 
    I'm sorry I couldn't ship you one!! Forgive me! - bethyMT ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith this might help numb your lips lol - Gogi For being awesome and bringing me here. :) - Flyby Stardancer We need to get you up so you have as many bettas as you do in RL. ;) - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Betta is sleeping ^_^ Mine do the same thing, when they're not planting themselves into a plant and looking like they've crashed into it or twisting themselves into pretzals

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act

Awards Showcase

For your AC tank! - Northernguy Nice job on the tank! - Brookfish I sure hope this helps! lol Good luck! - Northernguy congrats on the fish - Lab_Rat This is a lucky Neon! - Northernguy 
    Such a good fish Mommy! lol - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish Sorry about your Guppy! - Brookfish i hope the guppies are okay :) - Demi ^_^ this is a guppy? lol - domjd05 
    Happy B-Day :) - Agassizii Happy Birthday =D - Aeonflame Happy Birthday! - Brookfish for an excellent post - Lab_Rat thanks for the gift XD - genocidex 
    This makes 2, 8 to go! - homemadepopcorn thanks so much for coming to my aid! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    :) It sounds to me like you have a perfect little set up for him!

My betta lazes around a lot, too. They're like royalty--they like to swim around and show off for a little while, then find a comfortable spot to lounge.
    29 Gallon Tank : planted. stock: 2 GBR, 13 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 otocinclus, bn pleco
    Journal

6.6 Fluval Chi: planted. stock: 1 male halfmoon betta
    Journal

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Guys! i was worried he wasnt happy. Such a neat fish, not sure why its taken me so long to get one!

Awards Showcase

am sure I deserve a few of these... lol - Cyberra Thanks for sharing your X-stitch fish pillow project! - Aminax for being prone to computer problems - Cyberra happy birthday to me... August 29th - Cyberra earned ANOTHER one... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh - Cyberra 
    I dub thee official greeter to the forum! - korith Happy Belated One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue You need another betta! - Pleco380 it birtha the birthday betta XD - genocidex A birthday betta for you. - mermaidwannabe 
    You need a popsicle after wheelbarrow races! haha - escamosa Where there's plows, there's piggies! :) - escamosa You need some grapes, 'cause they were mentioned in the riddle! haha - escamosa to congratulate you on 2 years! - andreahp Here's one Christmas present! - Rue 
    I'm sorry I couldn't ship you one!! Forgive me! - bethyMT ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith this might help numb your lips lol - Gogi For being awesome and bringing me here. :) - Flyby Stardancer We need to get you up so you have as many bettas as you do in RL. ;) - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashbaxter
    Thanks Guys! i was worried he wasnt happy. Such a neat fish, not sure why its taken me so long to get one!
    Some people seem to think bettas are boring because they usually have to be kept alone rather than in large tanks with other fish. But what they lack in social skills they make up for in personality. Mine seem to be made up of equal parts curiosity, insanity, fins, and attitude

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act