· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

Default How often do you change passwords?

0 Not allowed!
    I seem to be getting slammed with people trying to access my accounts. I change my passwords every few months but don't want to change them everyday.

First I get an email from Fed EX stating my package is being held up due to not enough information. (Since I have done a lot of Christmas shopping online, this is really annoying.)

Then I get an email from Yahoo that my account will close in 24 hours due to too many incorrect passwords used.

I get another from PayPal that my account information needs to be updated and no purchases can be made until I do.

Then I get a message from Goggle to change my password because someone has been trying to access my account.

Today I get a pop up message that someone is trying to access an
    encrypted site and was blocked.

I have no idea what the heck is going on but I just started using FireFox and this is now the fifth incident of this. I don't know if this is just that time of the year or what is going on but I have never had this before and now 5 of them in about 6 weeks.

I checked my settings and 3rd Party is disabled. Computer does an automatic scan for malware daily, phlistering and spam. (I probably spelled something wrong there.)

Anyone else having a problem?

PS.......I also do not open anything. I sent the email I got from PayPal to the spoof department for them to investigate.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Download the plug-in for ad blocker plus and do not track me for firefox.

Don't ever have the browser save your passwords.

I haven't ever had the problem that you have. Do you have different email accounts for stuff online? If not, you need to setup different emails for different accounts. Bank accounts and credit cards should have a different email address. Forums and they like should have different email addresses basically a throw away email account that gets all the junk mail. Online shopping accounts should also have different email addresses.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    What software are you using for anti-virus/malware?

Sorry to hear you're being targetted like this. What a pain.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    You don't have to have malware on your computer for "hackers" to know your email accounts. They can get it from other sources.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I was just thinking it might be bots or spyware that was the root cause.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I only have Yahoo email but almost everything goes directly into spam. I don't even accept notices from here due to so many spammers. I get very little email other than newspapers......Washington Times, Post, NY Post, etc. Nothing top secret there.

I get no pop-ups due to blockers. BUT.....I have allowed my browser to remember my passwords so will change that. I delete history daily, clean my cache weekly, scan nightly.

I even stopped accepting emails from family members who would simply "forward" messages from others without cleaning it up first.
    WHY can't people understand the importance of that? They did understand it when I told them they were now blocked! LOL

My encrypted sites have a couple of security questions that need to be answered plus my password. No one is getting in but the fact they are trying to is annoying.

I have used Vipre for several years. I like it a lot and have never had even one virus with it.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 12-16-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you have good practices for cleaning out your browser. I doubt they are getting the info from your computer. I highly suspect that they got the information from a server that stores your email information. I wouldn't be surprised if yahoo mail got broken into recently. I know that hotmail tends to get hit quite a bit.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I will change my email password as well. That one I didn't do. I am a freak at computer cleaning. It gets cleaned more than my house does.

Vipre is a very quiet program. It just does it's thing and you know nothing about it. It takes care of business without flashing messages at you all the time. At one time, I had AVG and thought it was wonderful until I got two virus's while using it.

Thanks for your suggestions. Will go change my yahoo email now.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199   Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1   Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1   lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA   Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly... I do not change my passwords all that often. I can use the same password for 6months+ I have to this day yet to have any negative activity on my computers. (hacked/virus/etc)

BUT.. you do need to make it a good password. (letters/numbers/symbols/no words and nothing personal) And you need to have caution with what you click on. There are tools for making good passwords such as oplop (which is a plugin that generates unique passwords for website logins and then ties those to a nickname and master password which enables you to retrieve and use them)

To me it sounds like you are getting a lot of phishing attempts. Where the spammers are attempting to get you to act on their emails. I have received those types of emails, and I will say they can be quite convincing. (though honestly gmail does a superb job of catching them)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

am sure I deserve a few of these... lol - Cyberra   Thanks for sharing your X-stitch fish pillow project! - Aminax   for being prone to computer problems - Cyberra   happy birthday to me... August 29th - Cyberra   earned ANOTHER one... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh - Cyberra   

0 Not allowed!
    I rarely think to change my passwords unless prodded into it. Which is mainly my maternal unit's doing.

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act