· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not looking for excuses. But yea if it continues he will be gone simple.
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you can get rid of your aggressor and another will pop up. With African cichlids you sometimes get lucky with compatible fish. Obviously your not lucky. I still say larger rock pile with sight breaks but your not going to do that. So the option you have is to keep removing aggressors until you have found a balance.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    An all male tank is a balancing act, there's just no way around it, and you are already experiencing it. I don't know what your stock list is, but I would be sure that no two look alike, even if they are different species. Be prepared to remove problem individuals. When I did my 72 bowfront as an all male(pictured for reference), I chose my species VERY carefully. At one point, I had 11 in there, and not once did I ever have to remove any, never even a nipped fin. Occasionally, one would be a little pushy, but it never lasted, and sometimes another would overtake him. Haps and Peacocks do not need rocks stacked in large piles from floor to ceiling like mbuna. But as the others stated, there should be at least some hiding spots or a small territory that one can claim, so form a couple of cave areas within the tank. Take a couple of those rocks and make one or two piles instead of just having them stand alone.

IMG_0073a.jpg
    11 tanks, 5.5g up to 125g(2). Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Tangs, wild caught to tank raised!

0 Not allowed!
    No one seems to ask this.. what species is the aggressor? He looks like a venustus to me if he's the one in the "right side of the tank" pic. Also, if you notice that in those videos you shared the fish are all more mature than yours. This means they've already walked that tight rope of a balancing act that 190MPH mentioned. I've always understood that when setting up ANY sort of peacock tank and even an african tank in general it can take months to find a balance. This means taking fish to the lfs and switching them out, and even finding the odd dead fish that just couldn't hack it. As stated above, it is a balancing act. I would recommend that you maybe make 2 larger rock formations out of the rocks you have. Check out the rock formation this guy makes in this vid, he has a beautiful tank although it's not all male or peacocks.

\

EDIT: Forgot to add, venustus and livingstonii both get to 10". Also, remember that every tank is different. So if you don't have any luck with the sporadic rockscape, then you're gonna have to try something a little different.
    Last edited by Northerly; 12-18-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the last two comments. I am well aware that its a balancing act and i also know sometimes a single fish sometimes might not be fit to rule as they are too aggressive which messes up that balance and thats all i was asking. Now to the vid from Northernly, i subscribed to him and i watch his vids i wish i was able to make a rockscape similar but i work with what i have available at my landscaping companies near by. From the only two that is local to me there isnt many medium to small rocks available most of the size rocks available are the size of my largest ones currently in my tank and im not going to stack those nor add like 10 of those im looking for smaller rocks so i can and hopefully i get lucky soon. Another thing about the vid in the beginning he says exactly what i was defending earlier peacocks prefer open areas and dont require tons of caves like mbunas and i believe my tank provides some spaces but favors open space. But anyways im looking at ways to have a more natural rockscape but i dont feel my rockscape is what was causing the aggression.
    Here is a update vid of my tank and my aggressor in jail until he serves his sentence of 3 days. as you can see the tank is alot more peaceful as the fish feel free to swim where they please. One of my other red shoulders is attempting to take his spot but again not to the point where hes scaring fish into a single corner.
    Last edited by BiGBlak; 12-18-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Did you really put your fish in jail?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1
    Did you really put your fish in jail?
    yes for the time being, deciding on what to do with him in the mean time and its an experiment to see if the hierarchy will change which it seems it is but i havnt released him yet so im not sure but i will see.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The heirarchy WILL change, there is no question about that. Keep that Venustus out, and another will step up. Put him back in, and there's no guarantee he'll be the boss again. Or he could be, and be even worse! You see where this is going ? There will always be a "boss" in any tank, regardless of species. The trick comes in finding one that is easy on the rest of his "employees". Rockscapes aren't the cause of aggression. Aggression and how bad it gets is a trait of each species and each individual fish's personality, no different than any other animal, including humans. But rather, rockscapes with caves offer a place of refuge for those that are getting chased. You should have at least a couple, and what's the hurt in doing so? No one is saying you need to pile mounds of them like for mbuna. It almost acts as a sort of repellant to the aggressive one, maybe slowing his pursuit for a bit. Without those hiding spots, he can relentlessly chase them. You may never see a nipped fin, but eventually they will get chased/stressed to the point of sickness, and then you have a whole other issue on your hands.
    11 tanks, 5.5g up to 125g(2). Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Tangs, wild caught to tank raised!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's not the Venustus it's my red shoulder who's the issue. He didn't really even earn his status I put him in the tank hours before I added any more fish and it seems he feels he's entitled the tank boss. Do you think my little jail will do anything ? I plan on releasing him at night with the lights off he's been in there going on his 3rd day.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Cichlids are aggressive fish, and you will not stop their aggression by putting them in jail. You might even make the aggression worse once the fish earns his parole, or you could permanently damage him physically keeping him in that tiny space. Are you certain jail has enough water flow to keep the water fresh and clean, or is he swimming around in his own urine? What you can do is try to lessen the aggression by creating smaller territories for each fish to claim by adding breaks and caves with more rock and maybe some driftwood.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.