· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ottos feeding

1. Default Ottos feeding

0 Not allowed!
    I recently upgraded my tank and I have 2 ottos. Problem is they have never eaten anything I've put in there. In the old tank they had plenty of algea to eat. Obviously in the new tank there isn't any. So now I'm worried they are starving.
    The tank has been set up for 2 weeks but there still won't be much food.

Anyone have any advice on how to feed these little guys?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    cucumber or zucchini slices weighted down to the bottom of the tank if you can get them. just remember to take them out within twenty four hours or you'll have floating bits of rotting cucumber.

also algae tablets, just make sure you won't have fish that will gorge on them before they get to them.

20 gallon tall - 3 paska's red rainbow, 8 harlequin rasbora, 2 algae eating shrimp, 4 cherry shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 blueberry shrimp, 1 bronze cory, 1 peppered cory, 1 julii cory, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis, 1 bunch water wysteria, 1 package of B. Caroliniana, 1 Crypto Luten, 1 red wendii, Mossball.
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have tried cucumber and algea tablets but they aren't interested in them at all.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    as someone once told me, they may not know what they are yet.

don't overfeed the algae pellets though, and keep doing water changes often if you think you've accidentally overfed them, because you don't want your chemicals (ammo, nitrites, nitrates) to go off balance and harm the rest of your fish.

20 gallon tall - 3 paska's red rainbow, 8 harlequin rasbora, 2 algae eating shrimp, 4 cherry shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 blueberry shrimp, 1 bronze cory, 1 peppered cory, 1 julii cory, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis, 1 bunch water wysteria, 1 package of B. Caroliniana, 1 Crypto Luten, 1 red wendii, Mossball.
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How do you help them see it as food?

0 Not allowed!
    Many people introducing new food to a tank leave it in there about 24hrs so the fish learn it's edible. With fresh veggies, you can spear a piece with a metal fork and leave it in there.

You will need to keep trying different things. Hopefully someone else with ottos will clue you in as to what their fish enjoy.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wedge the corner of the cucumber in the gravel to keep it in place. I only left it in there over night so I might try and leave it for a whole day then put a new bit in the same place. Also I'm not such what a zuchini is.
    I live in England and no one has heard of it ^^

0 Not allowed!
    Drop in a couple algae pellets each day. They also nibble on a slice of raw cucumber. (Stick a fork in it and drop it in the tank.)

All otto's and pleco's should only go in a well seasoned tank so you have to feed them up until you have some algae for them.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksta
    Also I'm not such what a zuchini is.
    I live in England and no one has heard of it ^^
    It's the same thing as a courgette.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah thank you. I will get one in the morning.

So anyone have any advice on how to get them to recognise it as food?

Also I know they need to be in a mature tank but I had to swap tanks because my previous one was allowing to much moister to escape which was making the room damp. The new one had a glass cover on top.