· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation ARGH! Emergency tank rescue...filter valve broke!

0 Not allowed!
    I thought tonight that I'd do a quick water change and prune of my 120 litre planted tank tonight. It ended up not being so quick

The tank runs with an Eheim Pro 3 (huge cannister filter) that I've been really pleased with for the last 12-18 months or so...however, upon re-starting the filter tonight it didn't seem to be performing very well so I gave the valve lever a waggle (the one that controls the rate of flow all the way down to shut off if you want to take it apart). It's felt a little gritty for a while but tonight it crunched and just went completely loose...it felt as if something just broke and it wasn't attached to anything. You could suddenly flip it back and forth with a fingertip. ARGH!

The flow rate had slowed to a crawl (barely moving the surface) - this wasn't going to do.

I switched everything off and tried to release the hood of the filter from the cannister body but the release button wouldn't give because the valve was presumably left partly open (a safety feature so you don't accidentally remove the filter hood and drain your tank all over the floor).

Jeez...thank god for spare filters! I have a spare Eheim Classic that's rated more than enough for this tank (although nowhere near as much as the Pro 3) so I dumped half the media in it and got that going on the tank to tide them over until tomorrow when I can go to my LFS for an emergency replacement large filter.

I've also put an airstone in the tank to increase the circulation.

The trouble is, I'm stuck with half my bb media in the cannister with no spare heater. Will it die as the water cools or will it be ok if I can get a replacement filter hood/top tomorrow?

I was meant to be attending my other half's family event tomorrow...that's not going to happen now. GAH!

I must say, I've been a fan of Eheim for years and this is the first time I've had one break on me...especially rubbish given I've only had it a year or so. I hope my LFS are good to me when I come crying to them for urgent help!
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about the bad luck

If possible, take your media out of the filter, put it in filter media bags, and place it in the tank. Create a much flow as possible in the tank and you should be fine.

A water change a little later on would help as well. It could also help to keep the tank at it's usally temp if you use warm replacement water
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Ahhhh, that's a great idea. Thanks!

I didn't have any filter media bags but I remember Lady Hobbs saying that nylon tights/stockings work well. I don't wear tights but I did have an old pair of footless tights so I tied knots in the ends and filled each leg with the media.

See what a weird thing it looks now! I had to hook the tights down on the wood as the media is plastic (and floats!)

I'll do a water change in the morning.

0 Not allowed!
    Keep a close eye on the parameters and temp, and you should be fine until you can get your filter fixed

I did close to the same thing when I accidently broke my FX5 during a regular cleaning. If you have another filter to create more water movement, it would certainly help as well
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I'll take a full set of readings before I go to bed (it's 10pm here so that'll be in a couple of hours), and again in the morning.

Thanks, Cliff!

0 Not allowed!
    Keep us posted on how things progress

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Firefly I have 2 spare canisters here if you need 1, a EHEIM 2329 wet/dry thermo and an Aquamanta 300. I dont know how close you are to me but I live near Reading, I'm stuck on the sofa as I've had an operation so cant drive anywhere. I have taken the thermo assy off the eheim but the rest is intact. If the taps would fit yours you could have them, I don't want anything for the filter , if you need it you're most welcome. I will check forum every 30 mins from now until 4pm.
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

0 Not allowed!
    Ah cheers for the offer, that's very kind of you! I think I'll be ok.

I'm on my way back from my LFS now. I think the filter might just be out of warranty but apparently they don't make them any more because of this problem! Anyway, the LFS said they'd try to get it fixed by the supplier and in the meantime have given me a new head for it. They haven't charged me a penny now but said if the supplier can't fix it I'll need to pay for the new head. I hope they don't as in hindsight I wish I had stuck to the Classic filters, the Pros are awful for this problem it seems! I can't ask fairer than that though...what a good LFS!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    good to hear you got it sorted, thanks for the quick reply I can return to sitting on the sofa doing nothing again
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~
    I hope they don't as in hindsight I wish I had stuck to the Classic filters, the Pros are awful for this problem it seems! I can't ask fairer than that though...what a good LFS!
    Once you get used to them, it's hard to beat the Ehiem Classics for longevity and dependability.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"