· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sick Gourami...

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A single dwarf gourami in a 10 gallon should be just fine. You're doing everything just right for her. It's very obvious how special she is to you and that you're giving good care.
    Sorry I misunderstood about the filter changes.

In the meantime, unless there's some unknown source of source of nitrates such as decomposed food or dead plants matter or if you haven't vac'd the bottom for a while. after you do a few 50% W/C you should be fine with one 50% change a week.
    Good luck with her.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    A single dwarf gourami in a 10 gallon should be just fine.
    I'm pretty sure he's talking about a Blue Gourami, not a dwarf. They can get up to 6". =/
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    I'm pretty sure he's talking about a Blue Gourami, not a dwarf. They can get up to 6". =/
    Ah - missed that. Thanks Kevin.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Fortunately she's stayed at only 4 1/2 inches. I understand stunting but as I said before there is absolutely nothing I can do for a larger tank. She was bought at almost a year old ( I still don't know why the petstore had year old gouramis) and was a runt. The others were normal sized for their age but she was only an inch long. The tiniest little gourami they had. I bought her and about 2 years later got her a male. Which she proceeded to eat. I kid you not I fed them, went to bed and woke up and the male was a skeleton. Gone. She's ferocious and a tough girl, but very very small.

I will continue water changes with the next one being tomorrow.

And age doesn't seem to be the issue. She stills swims vigorously, just not as well as she has to feel around a lot to see where she is and her color is still incredibly vibrant. And she still hates when I do anything in her tank

And you can vacuum the gravel? O.o I always assumed that was a no no... I haven't done that since I set the tank up.. The only vacuum I have is a cheap one. Sorta like this but a different brand: http://www.ablackhorse.com/store/pc/...FYd9OgoddWkA8Q

I don't have money for a big siphon and the one I had is only good for draining water not really sucking up debris.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    That siphon is fine. Since you have never cleaned the gravel before it will be very dirty and you need to be careful to not kick up too much gunk while you are cleaning, this could cause an ammonia spike and stress the fish even further. To avoid this, put the siphon straight down into the gravel and let it suck up the gunk until the water runs clear, then lift the siphon straight up to move it to another part of the tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1
    That siphon is fine. Since you have never cleaned the gravel before it will be very dirty and you need to be careful to not kick up too much gunk while you are cleaning, this could cause an ammonia spike and stress the fish even further. To avoid this, put the siphon straight down into the gravel and let it suck up the gunk until the water runs clear, then lift the siphon straight up to move it to another part of the tank.
    + to mommy 1. that what I use to vac my 30 gal. it will work just fine. And most likely, your nitrates are high because you have never vac'd. once a month is good for maintenance

0 Not allowed!
    Ditto to both. That's what I usually use in my 10gal.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Alright. Should I remove my Gourami from the tank first?I don't really want to stress her out being in such a closed area with something circling in her tank.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    No, you don't have to remove the fish. I suggest only cleaning part of the gravel today, and more tomorrow. This will ease the stress a bit for the fish.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys just an update on my gourami. I've been preforming regular water changes and she's still eating. Her left eye(the healthy one) has no cloudiness anymore and the right eye has almost no cloudiness and the pupil looks less damaged and scattered. She's been hanging out more by the air stone lately so I changed 50% of the water today. I haven't yet done her gravel cleaning as I have been super busy with school and holidays. I'm going to clean the gravel either tomorrow or Thursday depending on how she's looking.

The real problem I'm having now is algae. I don't know what to do. Its just the common plain green algae you get on the gravel and tank sides. I'm cutting down on light. The tank only gets a good maybe 10 hours of light. Sometimes even less. As her tank isn't on a timer and I'll wake up late on the weekends and turn her light on around noonish

My real question is there any species of snail that I could get to help with this? I'm going to ask my father to take me out this weekend to get an API master test kit is there anything else I should get?? I haven't kept aquatic snails ever. Even when the tank had live plants and I had pest snails I always managed to kill them all off somehow XD I know they can't have copper. I have used some meds on the tank but its been almost two months since then.. Anything I should test for? Any species of snail you guys can recommend for a huge algae problem? Thanks for the help :D
    Last edited by Gesp56; 12-25-2012 at 11:59 PM.