· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sick Gourami...

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default Sick Gourami...

0 Not allowed!
    So my Blue Gourami recovered from the illness she had months ago, which was bruising on her head. Turns out it was just from her hitting the glass of the tank. Currently she's having other issues..

She's almost 7 years old. She's having problems with her eyes. The right is cloudy and the pupil is broken and looks like a scattered black mess, her left eye is only a bit cloudy. She is still active and still eats although it takes her some time to locate her food as I believe she's gone blind in her one eye. Her swimming is a bit funky and she sometimes gets tired and slows down and catches her breath. She does stop and rest on the bottom of the tank, especially in the early morning when I turn on her lights, I presume its just because she is old and it takes her some time to wake up.

I assumed her issue was Cloudy Eye and went ahead and did a 60% water change. I plan to do another 50% water change on sunday or saturday. She has a air stone in her tank and the water is at a constant of 79 degrees. The parameters are 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites and about 40ppm nitrates. However this is with test strips and we all know how accurate those are... I plan to get an API master kit but I'm only 16, with no job, and we're low on money. I could probably ask for one for christmas.

Anyways is there anything else I should do for her??? Any meds? I just want to make sure she is okay.
    Last edited by Gesp56; 12-14-2012 at 12:23 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    7 years old? Oh my. You've done a great job keeping her well and healthy this long.
    Your nitrates are a bit high. another water change would be in order and it might not be a good idea to do it soon instead of wait until the weekend.
    Other than that, I think you're doing just great by her and I suspect you're right about it being just old age.
    Hope she does okay
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much. To be honest. I was touch and go with her up until a year ago.. I kept her like any other novice fish keeper. I knew nothing about nitrates or changing water or not changing the filter media every week. But I kept her alive. Through thick and thin she's lived. And I am going to wait and see how she does. But I'm going to keep up with frequent water changes 2 - 5 times a week. I want to make sure she's as healthy as possible.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carapar56
    Thanks so much. To be honest. I was touch and go with her up until a year ago.. I kept her like any other novice fish keeper. I knew nothing about nitrates or changing water or not changing the filter media every week. But I kept her alive. Through thick and thin she's lived. And I am going to wait and see how she does. But I'm going to keep up with frequent water changes 2 - 5 times a week. I want to make sure she's as healthy as possible.
    Just out of curiosity, how large is her tank and are there other fish with her?
    Also - you don't want to change filter media every week. You actually don't want to change it until it's falling apart. Until then, just removed it monthly and rinse it in water you've taken from the tank. Never rinse in tap water.

Hope you get your API water test kit for Christmas. Testing will tell you how often you need to change her water. when Nitrates near 20 then a water change and or a cleaning of the filter and or filter media (again in old tank water) is in order. You can usually get by with w/c once a week and filter cleaning once a month.

Good luck with her!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    I hate to say this but I think it's time to make sure you got clove oil or a good fish anaesthetic in the house. What I read this you may need that in the next few months

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    ... Or you could continue with the water changes. Most problems people have with their fish can be attributed to poor water quality, and cloudy eye is often one of those water quality issues. Since all we have to go on is testing strips we really don't know what the water parameters are and I agree you need to do more water changes. Without knowing how big the tank is, tank mates, and filtration it's sort of difficult to determine how much water to change. But after your initial 60% and 50% change I would start doing 50% every other day, at least until we have better numbers on the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, to see if it helps the fish's eye clear up.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that OP should not continue trying to solve the problem and your water changes sound like a good plan.

All I was saying is that, considering the age and condition of the fish, it might be a good idea to be prepared should things deteriorate further.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 with fishmommie & mommy1 - on increasing your water changes and not changing your filter media. I have the same media in my filter for 2 yrs - just rinse it out in used tank water.

Very often, injuries can be healed by clean water and that is in your control versus not having a good test kit right now.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately she's only in a 10 gallon. Don't bother yelling at me saying her tank is inadequate. I know already. I'm only 16 years old and my family is having financial troubles and we may lose our home. I'm just trying my best to keep her alive with what I have. She has a 20 gallon HOB tetra whisper filter and she is housed alone. She was housed with some platies but I moved them to their own 10 gallon.

And no. I could never euthanize her. Ever. I will do everything I can before I take her life away from her. At this point he other eye looks more clear and the right eye is still damaged.. She may lost her eyesight in that one eye but she's a gourami, she can live alright without her eyesight and has being doing very well with the damage she has now. I will do another water change tomorrow, and on monday I want to do a 75% water change and the continue with 30%'s every other day.

She's a tough fish who's survived through every illness possible. And to fishmommie I don't change the filter media ANYMORE. I used to when I was uneducated about fish care but know I know NOT to change the media.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Hopefully she recovers. And also she ate very readily last night, still taking her some time to locate the food with her feelers however.

0 Not allowed!
    7yrs? Wow... if you ask me, that's a very nice, long life for a Blue Gourami, especially when their typical average lifespan is about 4yrs.

40ppm Nitrates is definitely too high right now (especially in her weakened state), so I'd do a quick, 50% water change (as suggested).

That being said, I'd have to agree with talldutchie, as well. She's old... really old. Her eyesight has gone... she's probably beginning to get slow/lazy, and living will become increasingly more difficult.

You've done an excellent job keeping her, but 7yrs is exceptional for a Blue. Well done and rest assured you've done well by her. =] Any fish should be so lucky to have such a caring keeper.

Just keep an eye on her, watch for additional symptoms of deterioration and keep up on your water changes.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.