· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. I'll see if I can get PraziPro later today to keep in the first aid kit and continue to monitor the situation.

Do you reduce dosage or does that apply only when administering a salt treatment when loaches are involved? I'm finding conflicting information elsewhere about this.

0 Not allowed!
    IMO if you are dealing with red gills on the other fish, I would change the water more frequently (like twice a day - at least 50%) and leave out the meds - meds should really only be used for specific symptoms that point to a diagnosis.

If you notice the same issue with another fish, I would remove that fish to the QT and then ask for advice on what med to add.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    That is excellent advice andrea.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    IMO if you are dealing with red gills on the other fish, I would change the water more frequently (like twice a day - at least 50%) and leave out the meds - meds should really only be used for specific symptoms that point to a diagnosis.

If you notice the same issue with another fish, I would remove that fish to the QT and then ask for advice on what med to add.

Again, I am not trying to add meds for the red gills. I am trying to be ready TODAY if another of my loaches has symptoms similar to the first.

In other words, I AM trying to explain specific symptoms that point to a diagnosis so that I can understand why the one loach died yesterday. If it helps you to imagine that the loach is still alive and I am describing the symptoms in the present tense, then please do so.

I would like to be prepared if I have to deal with a recurrence of this problem today rather than have to spend time coming to a forum to try to coax an answer.

What I have learned so far is that Maracyn 2 is the best course if it is bacterial/fungal and that I should have PraziPro on hand as well. What I don't yet know is whether these meds should be reduced in dosage from the package instructions when administered to loaches.

Does anyone have direct experience of or knowledge about that to share?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by inuudo
    Thanks. I'll see if I can get PraziPro later today to keep in the first aid kit and continue to monitor the situation.

Do you reduce dosage or does that apply only when administering a salt treatment when loaches are involved? I'm finding conflicting information elsewhere about this.
    No, Maracyn 2 isn't as harsh as a lot of other antibacterials, so using as directed should be safe for your loach and biological bacteria.

If you were using a salt treatment, reducing the dose in half would probably be the better route.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The best preparation for issues like this is prevention. Prevention in your case is correctly stocking the tank and reducing the stress.

And that is a personal choice on your dosage amount.
    some people hate meds and will try various natural methods, others swear by them and use the full dose.

what kevin said is perfect about the 2 meds that you have.

prazi pro is good for de-worming fish and recommended every time you qt new fish, and about once every 6-8 months in your main tank. it is a solid preventative med to add and doesn't have negative side effects.

I normally dose just under the normal amount because i'm not a big fan of meds.

again, to prevent this issue:
    keep up with regular water changes to heal the gills of your fish.
    fix the stocking to reduce the stress in the tank.
    Last edited by mizzoutank; 12-13-2012 at 03:33 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Kevin and Miz for the specifics about dosing. Hopefully, I won't have to administer anything, but I'm glad I have the info if I need to use it.

Everyone is swimming around peacefully after breakfast. I've seen only four loaches at one time, but I expect they'll all come out to play during the water change, as usual. (Water test was 0/0/5 again this morning, but I'll do a change anyway.)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    It's worth repeating.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll +1 that to repeat it.lol