· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dimming lights?

1. Default dimming lights?

0 Not allowed!
    Are dimming switches available for lights? I would like to have some light, instead of all or non. Rick the shrimp guy at work.

3. Default mood lighting?

0 Not allowed!
    flourescent tube in tank cover is very bright, which is fine. Would like to be able to view fish in a low light, lights out at end of the day(ideas?) Shrimp(dad)

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    fluorescent lights cannot be dimmed, they're either on or off... although if you have multiple bulbs, depending on the fixture, you may be able to turn some off and leave others on.

Your other option would be to install some LED lighting to use when you only want a little light.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you cant electrically dim the flouros, is it possible in your hood to fit an adjustable shade? I'm waiting for a diffuser for a new flouro i fitted after the old one died, I just have a piece of ply directly under the light to lower the intensity (ugly but temporary) maybe you could fit something movable to increase or decrease shadow?

Awards Showcase

Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 
    Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger 
    Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    If you can fit multiple bulbs, there are moonlight bulbs out there. You can also achieve this effect with blue LED Christmas lights. Stash them in your hood to direct all the light into the tank. Looks really cool.

0 Not allowed!
    Or if you want to take a more natural approach, get some floating plants. Amazonian frogbit does a great job at dimming lights and it grows at incredible speed. Many species like to shelter under it.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie
    Or if you want to take a more natural approach, get some floating plants. Amazonian frogbit does a great job at dimming lights and it grows at incredible speed. Many species like to shelter under it.
    Best way to dim lights. Shrimp also really apprieciat some live plants and will help them against disease a little.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Walmart sells a pack of 2 10" inch blue led strips in the car accessories section. They have a sticky back so you can attach them right to you hood. They are meant to be wired into the 12v system of a car but if you have an old 12v DC plug at home that you no longer use then you can easily cut off the end and wire it to the led strips. It gives the tank a nice blueish glow so you can see in a tank at night. Radioshack sells switches that that you can easily wire to the setup the so you can turn it on and off.
    Link to the Led strips

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Scholz
    Best way to dim lights. Shrimp also really apprieciat some live plants and will help them against disease a little.
    Mine also like to comb the roots of the frogbit for any leftover food.