· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    Does the medication indicate whether it might affect the biological filter? If it does, than that means you are trying to fight an illness as well as not growing any bacteria in your filter because the meds are killing everything off - hopefully that's not the case.
    It doesn't say anything like that in the instructions. I also don't have a carbon filter. Things still very much the same. I haven't got much of a look at the sick fish, he spends a lot of time in a little house with his buddies and I only really seem him when he comes out to feed. The other fish are looking great, which is a huge relief. I'm hoping whatever it is the sick fish has got it wont spread to the others, I think it would have done so by now if it was going to.

@ddavis1979: I'm not using a carbon filter and according to a calculator my current stocking level is 57%. I'm monitoring the levels everyday. I did a water change 7 days after I put the fish in, I did this because the ammonia was creeping upto 1ppm and even though Tetra says that the levels will gradually reach 1ppm then come down themselves, I felt uncomfortable with the level that high, especially with the sick fish who was already suffering. I did a water change on Saturday night, added more SafeStart and I haven't changed it since. The levels are stable.

Ammonia: 0.25/0.5ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 5ppm

They seem happy, no gasping for air or damage to their fins so I think they're doing fine. I will rejoice the day when my tank finally cycles.

*I think I may be overfeeding, not that they don't eat every last bit but it seems like a lot. As soon as I open the lid to test the water they swim up thinking it's feeding time, even though I'm sure they're eating plenty. I'm using Tetra flakes right now but i'm going to start feeding them bloodworm pellets as well. Should I wait until the tank cycles before I start introducing new things to their diet?
    Last edited by CrackFox; 12-20-2012 at 07:03 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox
    the ammonia was creeping upto 1ppm and even though Tetra says that the levels will gradually reach 1ppm then come down themselves, I felt uncomfortable with the level that high, especially with the sick fish who was already suffering.Ammonia: 0.25/0.5ppm

*I think I may be overfeeding, not that they don't eat every last bit but it seems like a lot. As soon as I open the lid to test the water they swim up thinking it's feeding time, even though I'm sure they're eating plenty. I'm using Tetra flakes right now but i'm going to start feeding them bloodworm pellets as well. Should I wait until the tank cycles before I start introducing new things to their diet?
    What makes you think you're overfeeding? As I'm sure you know, you shouldn't be feeding them everytime they look hungry LOL

There is no need to wait until the tank cycles to vary their diet.

Do not let your ammonia go above .25 while it is cycling. Ammonia of 1.0 WILL eventually come down by itself as part of the cycling process, but you can't let it get that high with fish in there.

Sounds like you are doing well overall if all your other fish appear OK.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What makes you think you're overfeeding? As I'm sure you know, you shouldn't be feeding them everytime they look hungry LOL

There is no need to wait until the tank cycles to vary their diet.

Do not let your ammonia go above .25 while it is cycling. Ammonia of 1.0 WILL eventually come down by itself as part of the cycling process, but you can't let it get that high with fish in there.

Sounds like you are doing well overall if all your other fish appear OK.
    Fish still fine. I tested the water today and the ammonia was close to 1ppm. I decided to ignore Tetras advice about leaving it and waiting for it to come down naturally. I did a 50% water change and the ammonia level is now a definite 0.25ppm. I'm a lot happier with that. A full bottle of Tetra Safestart and almost 2 week of fish-in cycling and i'm still seeing no results. This is extra dishearting after a tried a month of fishless cycling with pure ammonia that also gave me no results. I'm lost, my tank seems impossible to cycle.
    I haven't seen the sick fish much today so I don't know if he's looking any better, he likes his hiding places. I really want to add more glass catfish to make my 3 feel more comfortable but while my tank is still uncycled I can't. As I said before, i'm not worried about the sick fish making the others sick, i'm sure it would have done so by now if it was going to.

I keep reading about other people's experience with cycling, especially with Tetra Safestart and mine is not giving me any of those results. Oh well, the saga continues...

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I managed to have a good look at the catfish while he was feeding and I was really sad to see his condition. He's started to get some sort of blister/abscess on his body and they look quite sore. I decided to take more aggressive action and I gave him his first medicated bath. He was a bit freaked out but I kept the container covered around the sides and the temp just right. I haven't seen him since, he quickly rejoined his friends in the big porcelain temple I have in the tank ^^

I'll give him these short baths about twice a day and hope he starts to improve. He's still eating and swimming around normally. I feel so sad to think that he might be in discomfort but I know that I haven't caused it, he had signs of sickness in the shop and I wish i'd of asked the assistant about it but she hurried off so fast and I convinced myself it was just a marking that it had or maybe the other fish in the tank had been rough with it. The only bright side is that the other fish are looking healthy. Especially my glowlight tetra, they spend all day chasing eachother around. They also spend a lot of time apart and go off on their own which I'm guessing means that they feel safe in the tank.

As far as my cycling goes, I tested this morning:

Ammonia: 0.5ppm
    PH: 8.2

I figured my PH was a little high so I added some Tetra Easy Balance that claims to stabalize PH. It was free with the tank and I thought it couldn't hurt. Anyway I regret doing it now because it's stained the water yellow, It looks unsighlty but I think the fish may like it because it makes the tank less bright. I did another ammonia check as I do every morning and night and this time the ammonia tested 0ppm. I'm thinking it's mostly likely a false reading brought on by the Easy Balance, that or my tank has actually started processing ammonia..but that could never happen
    Nitrite still 0 but I think i've already had the nitrite spike during the fishless cycling I did, I just don't know. Haven't tested for nitrates, it's usually between 0-5ppm, will check it later and hope it's shot up.

Sorry for the long post. Please interject if you don't like the sound of something I've been doing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox
    As far as my cycling goes, I tested this morning:

Ammonia: 0.5ppm
    PH: 8.2

I figured my PH was a little high so I added some Tetra Easy Balance that claims to stabalize PH. It was free with the tank and I thought it couldn't hurt. Anyway I regret doing it now because it's stained the water yellow, Nitrite still 0 but I think i've already had the nitrite spike during the fishless cycling I did, I just don't know. Haven't tested for nitrates, it's usually between 0-5ppm, will check it later and hope it's shot up.

Sorry for the long post. Please interject if you don't like the sound of something I've been doing.
    Do NOT do anything to change your pH - it is unstable during cycling anyway and if your fish are otherwise doing fine, messing with the pH will stress them and bring on additional illness/death. Just FYI Once the tank is cycled, the pH will settle somewhere that the fish can handle.

If your ammonia is now at 0 that's good news - may it stay there! If your fish is responding to the baths, that's good news, but if it gets worse & you can tell the fish is suffering, putting it out of its misery is better.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do NOT do anything to change your pH - it is unstable during cycling anyway and if your fish are otherwise doing fine, messing with the pH will stress them and bring on additional illness/death. Just FYI Once the tank is cycled, the pH will settle somewhere that the fish can handle.

If your ammonia is now at 0 that's good news - may it stay there! If your fish is responding to the baths, that's good news, but if it gets worse & you can tell the fish is suffering, putting it out of its misery is better.
    Ah, well I was worried because I read that glass catfish like softer PH levels and I got it free with the tank. It hasn't done any harm, although it made the water a sickly yellow colour, I did a 50% this morning to get rid of the colour stain. Ammonia was still at 0ppm last night and 0ppm when I checked this morning. After pwc it's still 0ppm so it's looking good. I only started the baths yesterday so I don't think i'll know if it's helping for a few more days. Today another glass cat looked as if it may have a small blemish on it so I bathed him as well. They don't appear to be suffering, swimming noramally and eating a lot. It's fortunate for my tank that the glass cats are sick, otherwise I would of got excited and added a few more now that my tank is starting to mature

Ammonia: 0ppm

I hope I can cure the fish of the infection. They're really difficult to catch, they're certainly not lacking energy.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Almost 2 weeks have passed so just giving a little update. I thought my tank had cycled when I wrote my last post (well, I hoped. I've learnt not to get my hopes up) Anyway true to my usual luck, my tank suffered a nitrite spike about a week ago and has been suffering from it ever since. I woke up one morning to fine the nitirte at 2ppm and the nitrate at about 40ppm. I quickly did a water change and have been doing them everyday to keep the levels safe. I'm waiting for the day I wake up and the nitrite has disappeared. Shouldn't be too long now. My current readings after a 70% water change this morning:

Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0.25ppm
    Nitrate: 10ppm

I can definitely tell my tank is maturing, the filter has developed this unsightly build up of sludge and so have the ornaments in the tank. The fish are doing great. Showing no signs of distress and they almost bite my hand off when I feed them. The catfish all showed signs of the fungas infection but after some medicated baths, they all seem to be clearing up nicely. I suspect they'll be healthy as can be once the tank has settled down. I'm sure they'll appreciate some more company of their own kind too but they seem to spend more time swimming with the glowlight tetra than they do their own kind. I'm hoping by next week my tank will have fully cycled. Then after a couple of days of consistency tests, I will add some more.