· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default When do I upgrade from a 43g with GFx2 & White Clouds to a 120g ...PICS

0 Not allowed!
    As I have stated in previous posts I just found out that the 60gallon tank I thought I had is actually only 43 gallons. I was excited to hear that my wife thought it would be important to upgrade their tank size (rather than me having to convince her) to as much as 120 gallons.

I can't tell you how excited I am about this (tho I'm sure you all understand) and I immediately got on craigslist tp see what I can find. I find one for $300.00 with the stand but it housed 2 big turtles as well as fish so I can imagine how scratched the glass is going to be. By comparison Petsmart has one with the stand and a built in undergravel filter for $700.00. So I waiting for basically the next good deal but my wife hits me with the suggestion that we should wait 2 to 3 years to do this... I try to convince her that sooner is better but she's convinced that the fish will be okay for at least another couple years and is really sticking to her guns on this one.

So here's what I've got:
    one 6 inch comet, she's got a few scales missing as you can see below (who knows if that's relevant to how long she'll last in this tank, but I thought it was worth mentioning if that's any kind of indicator to anything pertinent)

One 4 inch Oranda

20-30 white cloud mountain minnows

and 5 kuhli loaches (I'm aware of the mismatch)

This tank has been set up for a year and I'm curious if going another 2 years is going to stunt the goldie's growth? It is 48 inches long so the comet has room to move but there's not as much volume as I thought so I'm worried about that. The comet is about 4 years old.

I'm also not interested in re-homing the comet to a pond as I'm sure would be one of the suggestions. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Last edited by stalefish83; 12-10-2012 at 11:31 PM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    IMO you have overstocked the tank and the Loaches need warmer water than the rest of your stock! If the Comet and Oranda are Juveniles then you could be ok but they will grow fairly quickly and end up stunted.

I would get a bigger tank sooner rather than later, guess theres some sucking up to do
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I keep the tank at 72 to try to keep it at a middle ground for the loaches and white clouds. I know it's not ideal but the loaches that I have seem perfectly happy and are quite active. I don't plan on adding any more kuhlis, I'm thinking about getting reticulated hillstream loaches though once I get a bigger tank as they will be more suited to the cold water and will probably set back up my 20g for the kuhlis.

Maybe I'll find that one killer deal that she won't be able to pass up either and I won't have to wait so long.
    Last edited by stalefish83; 12-11-2012 at 05:44 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly, I don't know how fast goldfish usually grow but, why aren't you interested in rehoming it - you seem to be quite concerned about stunting its growth and there's no larger tank in sight for a few years.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As sappy as it sounds my wife and I am simply too attached to it. As you can see we'd rather go through the trouble of getting a 120 gallon tank to accommodate it's needs. I just need some ammunition, so to speak, to show that we need to do this soon.

I imagine someone has to know how long a goldfish can remain at a certain size before it becomes stunted... for instance, my comet has been about 6 inches for probably 10 months, she seems to still be growing very slowly still but it's hard to tell. So does anyone know how long she can remain that size, considering her age (about 4 years) before she gets stunted?

6. Default Here is a link from Lady Hobbs

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by scotchbonneteater; 12-11-2012 at 06:24 PM.
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by j250nyahweh
    As sappy as it sounds my wife and I am simply too attached to it.
    Killing with kindness?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I say keep looking now and you will find a deal you can pass on ( might get even luckier if your willing to drive a little bit) only you can be the judge of if you think your fish is being so cramped that it could be stunting. I don't think it's something you need to do ASAP but just stay in the market and when you find something pounce on it. There are killer deals depending on where you live I once found a full 125g set up for 300 only thing is it was with the stock hood lights it comes with. Stay in the market and once you see a deal you don't want to pass up for example priced really well and maintained good and equipment etc and if your not too sure what's a good or great deal for that sized tank make a thread asking us on here and you will most def get some input. Some ammo for your wife . What's better staying in the market for a good deal now ? Or don't look and when this becomes a ASAP situation just buying what available ?
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Accommodating its needs is important sooner than later. If it's supposed to get to a foot long and that doesn't happen because of the tank it's in now, that means it probably got stunted - I don't know of any growth charts available that show how long a fish should be after a certain amount of time owning it. There might be people who keep track of growth, but if you have the opportunity to provide enough space for it now, I would do that.

One thing that's always encouraged on this forum is to get the largest tank you can afford from the very beginning - that eliminates needing to upgrade everytime fish get too large and maintenance is easier on a larger tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~
    Killing with kindness?
    I've been on the forum long enough to understand this sentiment. Not to be rude, but I'm getting a little tired of hearing it when it's clear that I care about my fish and do what I can to keep them in the best possible conditions.
    Guaranteed I have given this fish a better and longer life than the 99.8% of the people that would've just put her in a 10 gallon tank or a bowl.
    As you can see I'm clearly doing what I can with the resources that I have, going so far as to entertain the possibility of dropping as much as $700.00 on a tank for a freaking feeder fish. I feed her a wide variety of foods from frozen blood worms, brine shrimp pellets, high protein flakes, frozen veggies. I am meticulous with water changes and other maintenance, the tank is more than double filtered. True I should've known what I was getting myself into when I got the fish, but all things considered to answer your question, No, I do not think I am "killing" my fish and if you know where I can get a 120 gallon tank with "kindness" (barring illegal activities) please let me know.