· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Automatic Food Feeder?

0 Not allowed!

Will be on a week long vacation for Christmas. I have a automatic food feeder I picked up from Wal-mart. It works as it's suppose to. Only problem I believe it's dumping too much food into the tank. It does have adjusting lever, but at the lowest it's still too much IMO. Any recommendations from those who have used these on how to adjust any further so I'm not polluting my tank before I get back?

My initial thought was pushing a piece of foam up that tube to narrow it even further. Leaving on the 21st, so I have just over a week to come up with something.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, Silver Hatchet, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

0 Not allowed!
    Is there any way you can portion out food and have someone come to your house to feed every other day?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm an autofeeder from walmart. Does it by any chance look like this ?
    Penn plax daily double feeder, drops food every 12 hours. I have 2 that I had to modify so they would drop less food. Open up the feeder and take a look at the orange scoop, take a piece of paper and tape it partly over the opening. Can limit how much food goes through this way. Hope that made sense, if not I can post a picture in a few hours.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    too little is better than too much in this situation.

if it doesn't do enough-at least your fish get some food to tide them over, rather than over feeding-which can cause a plethora of other issues.

honestly, if you did a daily feeding of too little-the fish still get enough food to tide them over. i've gone 4 days without feeding and the fish were perfectly fine.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    Is there any way you can portion out food and have someone come to your house to feed every other day?
    Everyone I trust alone in my house will be gone that week too.

@korith - that's it exactly. Paper around the orange scooping tube thing, excellent.

@mizzoutank - My concern is the exact opposite of what you're thinking. Too much food is being dispensed from the automatic food feeder. I usually get those dissolving things that releases food overtime. I bought the automatic feeder several years ago when I went on a 2.5 week vacation knowing those dissolving things wouldn't hold for that long. Instead of spending more money, I'll just replace the batteries in this automatic feeder and adjust the orange part like korith suggested, unless someone else comes up with something even better.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, Silver Hatchet, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    good gravy i cannot read today. lol

in that case of reading your post correctly. I agree with Korith. lol

or play around with getting the feeder thing to dump part into the tank, part outside and have a cup/bowl/plate etc catch the rest

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank
    getting the feeder thing to dump part into the tank, part outside
    Funny you should mention this. Noticed when I first used, after coming back from vacation, the rather large area on either side of the hole on tank top that food had collected. I hadn't taken into count that food starts to drop once there's enough of a slope. Did not even realize how much collected until, stupid me, blew the excess into the tank. No worries, I decided not to feed them again for several days after that.
    25 Gal - Tropical

Awards Showcase

hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 
    Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 
    lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    For a week or less... unless you have fry or some very touchy fish just don't bother feeding at all imo.

Which if you have just the black skirts listed in your sig I'd think they be fine. Keep in mind that in the wild fish do not eat every single day.

If you have someone coming over even just once or twice then measure out a feeding quantity for them and that is even better.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne
    For a week or less... unless you have fry or some very touchy fish just don't bother feeding at all imo.
    Yeah I've tossed that idea around too. It will only be a week - or it should be?

About this time of year in 2002 my wife got very ill early the morning we where suppose to flight back home. Rushed her to hospital and was there for nearly 10 hours. Fortunately we were able to get a flight out much later in the day but we where both fearful at first thinking we wouldn't be able to get another flight out for a couple days at best. You never know!?!?
    25 Gal - Tropical

0 Not allowed!
    My advice keep playing and adjusting the feeder over the next few days. Hopefully you can dial in the right amount of food being dropped.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, the eheim 3581 autofeeder is probably one of the best ones out there. Can set up to 4 feedings a day, at whatever time you like. Holds a lot of food and you can adjust how much it drops.

Another feeder that would work well, is the fishmate f14 auto feeder. It has 14 individual trays in it, one for each day. Best thing about this one is little guess work, you can put in exactly how much food you want dropped each day into each tray. Here is a link to it http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4443 probably can find it at a local shop.