· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default south amaerican cichlids help ?

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so diving right into the waters of south america, i really like the look and temperment of the south american cichlids, i have 2 small firemouths and a small texas blue in my 80 gallon tank, 3 large pieces of drift wood, and soon to be 65% planted, anyone have any ideas on what other fish i could put with these guys ?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I think you are fully stocked with two FM and a Herichthys Carpinitis.

If you must have a SA cichlid to go with your CA cichlids, then I would get a SA that will not get bigger than 6". A blue acara comes to mind as well as angelfish.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor
    Personally, I think you are fully stocked with two FM and a Herichthys Carpinitis.

If you must have a SA cichlid to go with your CA cichlids, then I would get a SA that will not get bigger than 6". A blue acara comes to mind as well as angelfish.
    I thought about the acara, only reason i didnt want an angle fish is i think he\she would get bulied

0 Not allowed!
    I really like the SA cichlids, too. Probably my favorite is the Severum. I don't know how well it would do with the Texas once the Texas reaches it's potential growth of almost a foot, tho. One situation may work out well and the next situation not. The Texas is a fairly aggressive fish and the Severum less aggressive but it may work out if they are raised together.

I am not qualified to answer as I have not had either of the mentioned fish.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle17
    I thought about the acara, only reason i didnt want an angle fish is i think he\she would get bulied
    Unfortunately, with the carpinitis and firemouths, there is never any guarantee which cichlid will work in that tank. The carpintis tends to be less aggressive than cyanoguttatus so angelfish it might work.

You won't know until you try.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor
    Unfortunately, with the carpinitis and firemouths, there is never any guarantee which cichlid will work in that tank. The carpintis tends to be less aggressive than cyanoguttatus so angelfish it might work.

You won't know until you try.
    True i mean, i raised 8 oscars around guppies and frogs, ( which they never ate but should have ate) so i mean it could work out

0 Not allowed!
    Angelfish are surprisingly tough. The first time I saw someone using them as dithers in an aggressive cichlid tank I was shocked. I asked about it and since their shape is so different than most cichlids, most cichlids don't mess with them. I've kept an angel with my CAs and SAs and he's just as ornery as the other cichlids. He has no problem living with the rest of my cichlids.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Angels have a distinctly different body shape, so they aren't seen as direct competition like most other species.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your "Texas" cichlid isn't Central or South American, it is North American.

Brian