· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Exclamation Boomers laying on the bottom of the tank :(

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't pay much attention to his behaviour at first because he often lays on the rocks ( on his side) or face first in a plant.......BUT, now this just doesn't seem right, he is moving very little, well only to find a new spot to lay down, he's not swimming at all...and I thought all this bad stuff was out of the way with what happened in October :(
    Anyway, PH is fine, done a half tank change, temp is 80 (US), salted the water, added Pimafix and Melafix ( both natural treatments based on Bay Oil and Cajeput ( Melaleuca), would like to add Multi cure which is Malachite Green, Methylene blue and Acriflavin for velvet disease, white spot and fungal disease ( just in case)....because I can't see anything obviously wrong with him this time :(....but I don't want to overdose the tank with all these treatments, can I do it or not?

2. Question

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry should have mentioned he's a Fighting Fish aka Betta. I hope that some of you remember our ordeal to save him last time ( all the snails in his tank made him sick), i don't know what could be wrong this time :( snails appeared in his new tanK???? and though there are many they are miniscule little barely visible specks at this point, i dont think they are capable of polluting the water....yet, about to take care of that i hope with the malachite green if I can treat Boomer with it.

0 Not allowed!
    If you were to add those extra meds, that would give you 5 different meds in the tank along with the salt you already added. I would not suggest that. No telling what possible interactions there could be from all those different meds in the water at the same time.

It might be better if we could figure out what is causing this and treat only that. Could you maybe post a pic along with the exact water parameters ? That is usually a good place to start.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not the best on bettas and fish diseases, but loading all those meds into the tank will probably mess with the water. There's loadsa things in water apart from Nitrite/nitrate/ammonia that we don't test for, all that stuff will alter some of them.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Don't add all those things, just give us your water parameters and a picture if you can.

Did you remember to add dechlorinator when you did the water change?
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomers G ma
    Anyway, PH is fine, done a half tank change, temp is 80 (US), salted the water, added Pimafix and Melafix ( both natural treatments based on Bay Oil and Cajeput ( Melaleuca), would like to add Multi cure which is Malachite Green, Methylene blue and Acriflavin for velvet disease, white spot and fungal disease ( just in case)....because I can't see anything obviously wrong with him this time :(....but I don't want to overdose the tank with all these treatments, can I do it or not?
    +1 to all above comments - it is not advisable to put meds in to treat something "just in case".

Those meds reduce the amount of oxygen in the water. What you are doing is like taking a sick person and pumping him/her full of meds in case he/she has something - which a responsible Dr. would never do.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the advice but I have woken up this morning and Boomer didn't make it. Strangely enough he didn't look sick at all, nothing visible other than laying down the bottom of the tank.When he originally got sick a couple of months ago it was obvious, he didn't look well, he had a fungus growth and blood filled poop. I shifted him into a new 34 litre tank,minus the snail 'explosion', treated him and he was a happy little man until yesterday morning.I can't believe he went down hill so fast.

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about your fish : (

In the future, you will now know that a fish lying at the bottom of a tank is not normal - that is a clue that something isn't right - like poor water parameters, inadequate temp, not frequent enough water changes, stress from something, etc.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomers G ma
    I didn't pay much attention to his behaviour at first because he often lays on the rocks ( on his side) or face first in a plant.......BUT, now this just doesn't seem right, he is moving very little, well only to find a new spot to lay down, he's not swimming at all...and I thought all this bad stuff was out of the way with what happened in October :(
    50% water change and when you did this did you pre age the water or add dechlorinator to it. This would not be an issue however...you added a lot of other stuff so it becomes one. The compounds that make up the dechlor react to the other compounds. And so you have to do things slow and deliberate so as not to create a chemical martini for this poor fish. Not all at once.

Next... The mela fix and pima fix when used together are harsh on the fish if you use them at the recommended dosage. I've rolled angels over from a recommended dosage and they are tough. Add to this the recollection that these meds are not recommended for labyrinth gland breathing fishes and I think you may have an issue in using these on a Betta.

When you add salt to a tank use it as a medication. As a medication it limits the use of other medications if only because it binds oxygen and or limits oxygen load in the water. Using this with the mela pima at a full dose is rough.

I would not add another thing to this poor dudes water. He is a tough little fish to have persisted through all of this.

So now what to do. Well, I would give him a 25% water change each day for the next week using water that was aged for an hour with a proper dechlorinator. I would raise his temperature to around 82 to 84 F, give him good filtration and quality food if he will eat and see what happens. Pulling him out of all of this salt is going to be hard on him so that is why I would do the mini changes rather than a large one which cold cause some form of salt related shock or dehydration.

Apply this to the next fish.
    Last edited by Indian Woods Angels; 12-12-2012 at 08:46 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Melafix and Primafix shouldn't be used with Betta, IMHO. They are oil based, and can cause all kinds of problems when the Betta attempts to breathe from the surface. There is an oil slick at the surface water, which they take in with every breath, not good.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.