· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Shrimp dying randomly

0 Not allowed!
    Hey gang I have a mystery that I can't seem to figure out.

In my 20 gal tank I had 3 ghost shrimp that were doing great and I added 25 red cherry shrimp. Since add the RCS I have noticed they are dropping like flies. Like 1 per day at least. And even 2 of my 3 ghost shrimp have died now. I can't figure out why.

I did treat the tank with tetra parasite guard a few weeks back before I added the RCS. I did move the ghost shrimp to a different tank at that time. After I was finished treating the tank I did a huge WC then added the ghost shrimp back. They seemed fine once back in the tank. Once I started noticing the RCS dying everyday I thought maybe there was medicine left in the tank so I added a carbon bag into the filter to remove it, but they are still dying.

I paid almost $50 for my RCS and if I have 10 left alive right now that is a lot.

What am I missing?

Most of the fish in the tank are small so I don't think it is them killing the shrimp. I did add a Pearl Gourami to the tank a few days before I added the RCS. Could the gourami be the killing them?

I would like to restock the tank with shrimp again but not until I can figure out what is killing what is in it now.

Water parameters are good: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, ph 7.4

0 Not allowed!
    The Gourami will eat anything that can fit in his mouth, such as shimp. It is very possible and probable the Gourami is killing them.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 with Jeff - are you finding dead whole shrimp or are they disappearing?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some are missing and some are whole and I am pulling them from the tank. Though I am pretty sure I have seen the gourmai snacking on some dead shrimp, but i haven't noticed any interest in the live shrimp. Maybe at night she goes after them? Its typically in the morning that we find dead ones.

Maybe I will move the gourami over to my 55 gal, probably better for her(?) since there is more room. No shrimp in that tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Couldn't hurt to try that - at least if you still find dead shrimp after doing that you have eliminated a possibility.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Will run it by my wife and if she is okay with it then I will do it tonight.

The bigger question is should I do drip acclimation to the new tank or can I just put him right into the new tank if the water parameters are the same?

0 Not allowed!
    The only thing you would need to worry about is a difference in pH (but you don't because all your water should be the same) - as long as the 55gal is already cycled and water parameters are good, you don't need to drip acclimate.

When I have fish in my QT, I just transfer the new fish over to my main tank. I only acclimate when I initially bring fish home.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    The only thing you would need to worry about is a difference in pH (but you don't because all your water should be the same) - as long as the 55gal is already cycled and water parameters are good, you don't need to drip acclimate.

When I have fish in my QT, I just transfer the new fish over to my main tank. I only acclimate when I initially bring fish home.

Ok. Thanks for the advice.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Are both tanks the same temperature? If not you may have to float the gourami in something for a bit.

Now back to the shrimp tank. Cherry Shrimp are very sensitive to water parameters but you say ammonia is 0 as well as nitrites which is where you need them.
    I'm not sure what was in that tetra parasite guard but if it had any copper compound in it you might have found your culprit. Inverts and copper don't get along at all.
    If all else fails, introduce an air stone and pump to help circulate the water.

Are your shrimp eating? If you place a piece of cucumber in the tank you will be able to tell.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If there was copper in the meds what is the best way to get it out of the tank? I've done quite a few WC's. I assumed that if the meds had copper in them the WC's and adding carbon would get rid of it.

Tank has lots of water movement. I have a bubble wall going and an AC50 along side a Marineland penguin 150.

Came home from work today to 4 dead RCS in the tank (whole not half eaten)

I guess I need to get a copper test kit..