· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 20 gallon betta plants

0 Not allowed!
    I just upgraded to a 20 gallon for my beta and his 8 snail friends , he was in a 10 gallon. I had some lily pads and some plant called betta plant and duckweed I dont really know what it was. Now im wondering what plants to put into my new 20. Should i want till after I do my fishless cycle? And also Is hornwort poisonous, some people are telling me it is.
    Is there anything better then duckweed that doesnt care if the filter moves it as much. that would die alot when the filter moved it around.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by unitednations161
    I just upgraded to a 20 gallon for my beta and his 8 snail friends , he was in a 10 gallon. I had some lily pads and some plant called betta plant and duckweed I dont really know what it was. Now im wondering what plants to put into my new 20. Should i want till after I do my fishless cycle? And also Is hornwort poisonous, some people are telling me it is.
    Is there anything better then duckweed that doesnt care if the filter moves it as much. that would die alot when the filter moved it around.
    There is no need to wait until you are cycled to add plants

Hornwort is not poisonous - lots of people here keep it in their tanks.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Duckweed, nothing kills it. Once it gets into your tank, it can be very very difficult to get rid of it. You could consider using frogbit or dwarf water lettuce, it's larger than duckweed and easier to manage. All three are floating plants. Here is a good plant database http://plantgeek.net/plantguide.php you can view plants based on the type of plant, lighting requirements, difficulty, etc...

What type of plants you can grow will depend a lot on your light fixture. Floating plants will pretty much grow with any type of lighting, plants in the substrate will require more powerful lighting. What type of lighting do you have on the aquarium? Type of fixture? What kind of bulb? If you are using just stock lighting you will probably want to look at plants in the low to medium end of lighting requirements.

On hornwort, I've used it in my tanks since I started keeping aquariums. Haven't had any losses due to it, it's safe. Are you perhaps thinking of a plant called bladderwort? It can be unsafe for very small fry and other organisms that are small. Though bladderwort isn't poisonous either.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by korith
    Duckweed, nothing kills it. Once it gets into your tank, it can be very very difficult to get rid of it. You could consider using frogbit or dwarf water lettuce, it's larger than duckweed and easier to manage. All three are floating plants. Here is a good plant database http://plantgeek.net/plantguide.php you can view plants based on the type of plant, lighting requirements, difficulty, etc...

What type of plants you can grow will depend a lot on your light fixture. Floating plants will pretty much grow with any type of lighting, plants in the substrate will require more powerful lighting. What type of lighting do you have on the aquarium? Type of fixture? What kind of bulb? If you are using just stock lighting you will probably want to look at plants in the low to medium end of lighting requirements.

On hornwort, I've used it in my tanks since I started keeping aquariums. Haven't had any losses due to it, it's safe. Are you perhaps thinking of a plant called bladderwort? It can be unsafe for very small fry and other organisms that are small. Though bladderwort isn't poisonous either.

Im not sure, But someone told me never to get hornwort, maybe they were thinking of something else. Im in need of a new bulb anyways, So what should I get? Its just a single tube in a hood. What ever is in it now, the stamp is all worn out. The hood was made in 94 so WHO knows what year that bulb is LOL

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I actually liked the duckweed, I think my water kept it in control being hard and alkaline. It never really grew fast in my 10 gallon, and the filter killed it sometimes. I had to use a feeding ring where the water come out for my filter to keep it alive.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by unitednations161
    Im not sure, But someone told me never to get hornwort, maybe they were thinking of something else. Im in need of a new bulb anyways, So what should I get? Its just a single tube in a hood. What ever is in it now, the stamp is all worn out. The hood was made in 94 so WHO knows what year that bulb is LOL
    You can get bulbs meant for plants. If plant isn't mentioned in the bulbs packaging, look for bulbs in the 6500k spectrum. If no spectrum is mentioned, look for words like daylight or super daylight. Avoid the bulbs that give off that yellowish tinge.

Is the tank a 20g long or a 20g tall?