· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    I like the AC and have found people for the most part helpful and kind in their correction of my misinformation or stupid questions they have probably answered a hundred times but answers like this when you already are not sure of what you are doing just discourage the person asking and others reading it from seeking help and unless I have misunderstood that is one of the reasons for the AC
    Longest "sentence" ever....

here's the deal. the OP delivered the question as knowing that it wasnt a good idea but needed the confirmation of this forum. just like looking at new lexus....i could get it. but all my friends will say-dumbest idea ever.

so the OP knew it wasn't smart, but needed us to say, ya your right. not a good thing for your tank. how about these other fish.

i'm sorry you took offense to someone else's question and response. but there is no harm, no foul on anyone posting here.

have a good day though.
    Last edited by mizzoutank; 12-11-2012 at 09:17 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    butterbean......I answered the question that was asked. Almost always if someone needs a confirmation of adding a large fish to a small tank, they already know the answer. They are looking for confirmation to what they already know. Just as mizz said.

I do not take the time to analyze each answer I give for fear of hurting someones "feelings". Sometimes they simply want an honest answer.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank
    Longest "sentence" ever....
    Hardly. And it was grammatically correct apart from a missing comma, making it much more readable than a lot of stuff one encounters online!

Being quite new to aquariums and this forum, I have some empathy for what butterbean is saying.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Whoa! Did not expect this post to go in the direction it had.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    If you have to ask, then it is. I would not even keep one in a 29 gallon.
    Can understand how this statement would appear to come across as rude. I had asked a question and expected your guy's opinion via experiences.

Almost always if someone needs a confirmation of adding a large fish to a small tank, they already know the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank
    so the OP knew it wasn't smart
    Some would not agree with me, but I don't think there's ever a absolute answer in this hobby (often not even close). Way to many variables. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=99790
    For if I did not ask I would have probably purchased an angel. Several documents suggest a 29 gal for angel, LH's opinion is that would still be too small. IMHO, 25 is not so far from a 29. I would have gone for it, but I wanted to ask what others experience with angels were. Did not want that buyer's regret feeling.

You simply have to allow for those tall fins so they are not getting caught in plants or sticking out of the water.
    If I'm not mistaken the standard 55g is 21 high. Only bring this up as I did not believe I posted the right dimensions of my tank (I'm planning a DIY PVC overflow so I have a bunch of numbers in my head) so I measured again when I got home. 24 x 12.5 x 21

I do my best not to take offense to anyone's post, after all it's said the worst form of communication is writing as it lacks that face-to-face interaction.

For posterity sake lets just agree to not always agree and move on.

Any further fish suggestions. Thank you fishmommie

Quote Originally Posted by Sandz
    Just be careful. I had a school of black skirts and they hunted... I call them and red minors (serpe tetras) wolfpack fish...
    If you're mentioning this because their know to nip, I was thinking the same. Though several sites state Blackskirt Tetras where compatible with Angel.? Just another example this hobby is far reaching.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

0 Not allowed!
    I have heard, too, that black skirts can be nippy but in my own experience had not had that. I have a group of skirts now 8 years old that have always been with an angel and in another 55 gallon have 23 black skirts with another angel. No nipping ever going on but then I keep big schools which cuts down any nippy behavior. Obviously in a smaller tank you can't have big groups like that.

I would maybe recommend a few more black skirts and perhaps some Harlequin rasbora or maybe a group of cherry barbs? A group of smaller fish can make for an active tank.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a group of skirts now 8 years old ...
    One reason why I have Blackskirt Tetras, very hardy fish. In my past fish keeping experience, even with all the mistakes I made along the way, they stayed true. I think I'll stay with 6 for now as I would like to give the opportunity to other species to live in my aquarium. All my fish unanimously agree, it's a 5 star resort/aquarium.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants

0 Not allowed!

You also never know the disposition of an angelfish. They can really be jerks too. I've had 9. Out of all 9, 5 of them would kill every neon they saw. Not eat them.....just kill them because they can. The other 4 paid no attention to them. Another reason they need a larger tank is not just for them, but so others can get away from them.

I was talking to a lady one day that has had one angelfish for years that has killed every fish put in the tank with him. The fish is now 7 years old and has lived alone nearly all his life because he is just a killer fish. She said it didn't matter what size the other fish was, either.

You're right about the black skirts being tough. My son has a group in his 55 gallon and if fish can live at his house, they can live anywhere!

Good luck with that 5 star resort. :)

0 Not allowed!
    lol. It would more than likely be a 5 star resort for the Angelfish and the pit of hell for all others.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ijankrom, while it's true that your tank, at 24" is slightly taller than a 55, the 55 is over twice as long at 48". That is a whole lot more swimming room and, believe me, angels will use every inch of it.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Dave for your input. From what I've gathered in this community regarding Angels, I think I'll stay away from them for now. Sounds like too much of a fish for me.
    25 Gal - Tropical