· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well right now I have one 4 inch tiger oscar in a 55 gallon. I plan on getting 1 albino Oscar in a few weeks. I realize this is a little too small for them, but I plan on getting a 75 gallon when it comes time.
    Update on the wood tho. I bought a nice looking piece of Malaysian driftwood off aquabid. It seems like a nice piece that wont obstruct their swimming too much, but still add that driftwood look.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...wood1355521647
    10 Gallon: 5 White Skirt Tetra
    55 Gallon: Young Oscar

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you might have people say that even a 75 is too small for 2.

i've seen frequently that the min is 75 for one oscar.
    they are massive massive fish.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    not OT, but 75 is bare bones close to crammed min for 2, yea mopani tannins the most. so people say it should leach out but some wood it may be forever, not bad forever but still always have a tint to your water years in.. I am not sponsered my seachem, but purigen, i am telling ya. i have lots of driftwod, and crystal water

Default Sorry if OT but you need to know...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank
    you might have people say that even a 75 is too small for 2.
    +1 True - I will.

75G is too small for 2 Oscars IMO/E. They are large and aggressive fish that need their own territories and 48x18 does not provide enough footprint for them both to have one. It might last for a while but eventually the dominant one will pound the sub one when he decides it is HIS space & that will not end well.

Your 55 is going to be too small for them in short order, Healthy Oscars with adequate room grow nearly an inch a month until they are about 7 or 8" and this is going to make your 55 small pretty quick.
    To keep them both you are going to have another plan IME.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Why does this seem to happen to oscars so often? Is it because they reproduce easily and are therefore cheap?

I think in metric, excuse me for that. I've seen adult oscars. For a single one I'd be looking at 120 cm wide at least, that's about 63 gallons I think. For a pair I'd look in the 180cm wide direction. Together with convicts these are not exactly polite and gentle fish.

Anyway... I did like that overview of the three woods, useful to have.

0 Not allowed!
    Sadly yes. - It's because they are sold practically everywhere here at a 3" size with no info about their adult requirements. [Same goes for common plecos btw]

30cm = 1' btw for those doing math
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 12-11-2012 at 08:16 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    true story.. last night was picken up some bloodworm frozen at petco, they have the LED 10 gallon for 40.00 saw a dad and kid buy one and an oscar and somthing else, forgot, i kindly informed wondering maybe just maybe they had a big tank for O and was getting a QT tank.. nope said they will get a bigger tank IF (IF) it needs one.. Oscars and bettas the stepping stones of the fish world.. and often add Pacu to the list.. but as before OT and this is about driftwood.