· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Bolivian Ram or Cockatoo Dwarf in 27 Gallon?

0 Not allowed!
    My planned species list is as follows:

6 Black Skirt Tetras
    5 Mountain Cloud Minnows (possibly replaced with 6 Cherry Barbs)
    1 Pearl Gourami/Paradise Fish/Betta (depending how tetras react)
    2 African Dwarf Frogs
    1-3 Filter Shrimp

Now I was thinking of having either a Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid or a Bolivian Ram. I really like the Cockatoo's but ive heard they require VERY clean water and VERY stable temperature and im worried im going to end up messing this up and killing it, ive heard Bolivian Rams are hardier, but really I dont know much about either or if they will mix with my other species or not? (I only have the minnows and 4 black skirts atm btw).

So basically would either of these Cichlids work in my tank, which would be the better one to go for and could I get just a single male or do I have to get a male and female?
    Last edited by serbusfish; 12-11-2012 at 12:52 AM.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    6 Black Skirt Tetras
    2 African Dwarf Frogs
    1-3 Filter Shrimp

the above stocking is all over the place. IDK what you mean by filter shrimp... Ghost? Amano? RCS?... The dwarf frogs I wouldnt include and White Clouds are cold water fish while your SA Dwarf cichlids are tropicals. A Betta or paradise fish with these will either be a nipper or be nipped by other fish so the gourami is the only one that is semi adequite and even that im not a huge fan of with the stock listing. They vary widely on personality from fish to fish and can be pugnatious.

If you want to stock Cockatoo's, you need to make sure everything else meets their temp/tank requirements and agression level.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with sandz.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    minus your stocking that was pointed out...

the tank is not big enough for you to have a labrynth fish AND a ram/cockatoo.

the paradise fish, gourami will feel it doesn't have enough room and attack the ram.
    this happened in my 45gallon....so i cannot imagine how bad it will be in a tank that is smaller

0 Not allowed!
    Can't give any advice on the shrimp, frogs, or Cockatoo's as I have never kept them.
    Pearl Gourami's need a bigger tank than a 27g, and are no good in with Dwarf Cichlids. There will be a massive amount of territorial aggression going on.
    Black Skirts are a nice Tetra, but really need to be put in a school of no less than 10, otherwise they can possibly get a little nippy to fish that are less active than they are (Betta's), or bigger than they are. I've kept Black Skirts in the same tank as Bolivian Rams, and they all behaved nicely. The two species of fish stick to two different levels of the tank. The Black Skirts hang around in the top third - middle third of the tank, while the Rams will live most of their lives in the bottom third of the tank, so they really don't cross paths much.
    DO NOT PUT A PARADISE FISH IN A COMMUNITY TANK. Nasty pieces of work. I made that mistake when I first started.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz
    6 Black Skirt Tetras
    2 African Dwarf Frogs
    1-3 Filter Shrimp

the above stocking is all over the place. IDK what you mean by filter shrimp... Ghost? Amano? RCS?... The dwarf frogs I wouldnt include and White Clouds are cold water fish while your SA Dwarf cichlids are tropicals. A Betta or paradise fish with these will either be a nipper or be nipped by other fish so the gourami is the only one that is semi adequite and even that im not a huge fan of with the stock listing. They vary widely on personality from fish to fish and can be pugnatious.

If you want to stock Cockatoo's, you need to make sure everything else meets their temp/tank requirements and agression level.
    Filter shrimp are shrimp which feed on particles in the water, they only eat off the bottom if they are really hungry. They also grow much bigger than the shrimp you mentioned, depending on the species they grow between 3" - 6".

According to AqAdvisor all these species are suitable to be kept at 25'c so I dont see any problem there, my minnows are currently doing very well.

I was told that as Bettas stay near the top of the tank and Cockatoos stay at the bottom I should be ok? But I totally understand this not working out due to the Cockatoos striking colours and the Bettas nature to go after colorful fish.

In any case ive decided to up the Black Skirts to 7/8 and see how it goes, if they seem to be shoaling properly I will add a Betta and hopefully they will all get on. I think I will not get a cockatoo as they seem to require very specific water parameters which might end up proving to much for this amateur to deal with. Maybe when I have more experience

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What is up with AqAdvisor? That really doesn't sound right at all...

At any rate, those minnows spawn at temperatures lower than those most tropical fish are kept in. They are healthier and more active at lower temperatures too.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I hear you that the fish "look" ok at 78... Many fish are addaptable. Thats why the ADF kept in the same bowl on someones office desk lives for a while. Im just telling you that if you are a fish keeper novice or a 70 year vet, the wild requirements for a breed are generally what you would want to try to replicate. There is a reason White Clouds are a mountain minnow, not Amazonian fish. I wish you luck on the betta but I still think its ill advised.

Reffering to the filter shrimp, I think you are reffering to the Bamboo Shrimp.

Also, Betta's breath air through a labrynth organ but that doesnt mean they are top only. Just do a simple search on betta's sleeping... They are an all over the tank type fish.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's