· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx 
    Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

Default Ick treatment question

0 Not allowed!
    So I had Ick pop up last week and I used the API Super Ick Cure. The treatment called for "Dose-48hrs-Dose2-48hrs-water change. After the first dose the ick cleared up, and I went ahead with the second dose and before I did the water change I noticed the ick was back. Well I continued with the water change and replaced my carbon. There is however ick still present. My question is, is this normal and those are just dead ick that haven't detached yet? If not, would it be safe to go through the procedure again so soon? I have a 20 gallon tank with 10 Tiger barbs. Ammonia 0, Ni 0, Na 5ppm. 80 degree water.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Ick has three stages. The white spots you see can not be killed while they are on the fish. The white spots will fall off and go to the bottom, again they cant be killed off. When the little (you cant see them) guys start swimming looking for a host( your fish), thats when the medicine will do its work. The warmer the water the quicker the life cycle of ick.
    Take the carbon out, start the medication over again and dont stop until the complete treatment time on the bottle has been fulfilled. Just because you cant see them doesn't mean your in the clear.
    Carbon reduces the medicines ability to do it's job. Add an air-stone and pump to help keep the O2 up if you increase the temperature. Some say killing the lights during this period will also help.
    Just like anti bio-tics, keep up the treatment and dont cut it short.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yup good advice, the only time you can kill them is when they are swimming and larval.

Awards Showcase

A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx 
    Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 to coax you out of hiding - RiversGirl Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, that clears that up for me. I've already started the second round of treatments, hopefully it'll get it all.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When my fish got ich, I raised the temperature to 84 degrees F, added aquarium salt and waited 2 weeks. I cleared up and I havent seen it since.
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

0 Not allowed!
    I have had ich twice in a month and a half... finally got rid of it, and got it again from a LFS (I know, I know, I need a quarantine tank)

But both times raising the temp to 82-84 plus a bit of salt has worked. I don't like the meds personally, at least with higher temps and salt you can go an extra week of treating without harm

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just another note on this: if you treat with an ick medication that contains copper, the copper will kill any invertebrates you have in the tank - snails, or shrimp. And because copper lingers in the silicone sealing the glass, often you can't return snails to the tank for a very long time.

If you treat with heat and or salt, continue the treatment for at least 4 days after you see the last spot on your fish. Then slowly reduce the heat and at the end of the extra 4 days, do back to back 25 to 30% w/c to get rid of the salt and vacuum the substrate thoroughly to pick up any ick fall off,

I followed this to the letter on my one and only outbreak of ick and it has not returned. The key is waiting those extra days.
    Good luck. It's horrible stuff to combat and get rid of.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    When I had ick in my tank, I couldn't turn the heat up because I had cooler water fish in there that would have suffered so I added meds. I ended up losing about 3 fish but the others did well. I waited a loooong time to make super sure it was all gone and then I added new fish. Good luck!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in