· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Can I use Seachem Prime to drop Nitrates?

0 Not allowed!
    My parents tank has a high nitrate reading (around 80) and I was wondering if I could add some Seachem Prime to the tank to temporarily drop the level until a water change can be done? I know it drops Ammonia and Nitrite but im unsure about Nitrate.

If this can be done how much shall I use (its a Juwel Rio 300 tank)?
    Last edited by serbusfish; 12-10-2012 at 02:17 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by serbusfish
    My parents tank has a high nitrate reading (around 80) and I was wondering if I could add some Seachem Prime to the tank to temporarily drop the level until a water change can be done? I know it drops Ammonia and Nitrite but im unsure about Nitrate.

If this can be done how much shall I use (its a Juwel Rio 300 tank)?
    I believe the only thing you can do to drop nitrates is a water change - I suppose it's faster to add something to the tank, but it won't change the nitrates.

I suppose the best you can do to avoid this in the future is change the water more often, vacuuming the gravel, etc. to avoid the high nitrates in the 1st place.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    I know those tanks. They come with a fair sized internal filter which does a good job.. If you got high nitrates there's three options

1. it's massively overstocked
    2. Your swapping out sponges too often
    3. the watersource itself is contaminated.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    prime will not help with nitrates.

Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie
    I know those tanks. They come with a fair sized internal filter which does a good job.. If you got high nitrates there's three options

Any of those COULD be true but the easiest way to get high nitrates is simply to not do enough water changes. Having good filtration does not do anything to reduce nitrate buildup.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Check your filter(s.)- They may be dirty Test your water supply. Prime will only detoxify nitrate and will not work forever. It is like putting a bandaid on the problem. If your water supply is the issue, there are a few things you can do. Firstly, would be to call your water company and ask why you are getting such high levels and what they intend to do about it.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie

Yes it is overstocked, and they only do water changes usually once a month, so yeah I know what the cause is, I was just looking for a temporary solution til a water change could be done. Ive tried to make them see they need to do more regular changes but so far they havent listened. Ive also advised they get rid of some of the fish but again they are very stubborn (my dad anyway).

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've got 5ppm nitrates in my tap water. I did some experimenting with Prime and the claim of it reducing nitrates. At the recommended dosage, Prime did not bring the nitrates down to zero. When I put 5x the amount, the nitrates still remained the same; this is the maximum dosage for Prime. When I put 10x the amount it went to zero; however you shouldn't put this much Prime in your tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by serbusfish
    Yes it is overstocked, and they only do water changes usually once a month, so yeah I know what the cause is, I was just looking for a temporary solution til a water change could be done. Ive tried to make them see they need to do more regular changes but so far they havent listened. Ive also advised they get rid of some of the fish but again they are very stubborn (my dad anyway).
    Unless you are able to do water changes for them more frequently, he's going to be dealing with dead/ill fish pretty soon if the nitrates aren't brought down. Did you also test for ammonia?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Prime also does not drop ammonia or nitrites. It simply makes them less toxic. Two large water changes need to do done on that tank to drop those nitrates levels.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Prime also does not drop ammonia or nitrites. It simply makes them less toxic. Two large water changes need to do done on that tank to drop those nitrates levels.
    Well I did a water change and used prime on my tank yesterday and my nitrite reading went from 1ppm to 0ppm and its still there now. It is supposed to drop them for 48h in which time the filter is still able to grow the bacterial colonies, they advise to use prime every 48h to keep fish safe during a cycle.

Anyway I will try and get them to do a water change on their tank, most likely i'll end up doing it for them. What % should be done?