· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Severum Head Standing and other symptoms?

0 Not allowed!
    I am unsure whether there is something wrong with my severums or whether it is just what they "do". I have 4 small golden severums in a 4ft 65g tank. They all eat voraciously (bloodworms, cichlid pellets, crushed algae tabs and a constant supply of aquarium plants) and seem to be happy, aside from a few things...

They seem to all have a habit of head standing, or floating with their heads facing the bottom of the tank for short periods of time before resuming usual swimming. The smallest ones seem to do this when the large one approaches almost as a submissive behavior, reminding me of a dog rolling onto it's back.

Also, all four seem to have grey discoloration some places on their bodies. I can't quite tell if it is where scales have been scraped off. I originally thought they were just colored that way but sometimes the grey goes away and come back. I have tried taking photos but it doesn't seem to show up.

The third unusual symptom is that 2 or the severums have a very obvious red vein or line running along the base of their anal fin and caudal fin. They have had this ever since I got them. Should I be worried about it?

Thanks in advance.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    how are your parameters?

i know that when i messed with my tank a bit to much...i caused a mini spike in ammonia. this made my cockatoo act weird, swam funny, spiraled, vertical....then he died.

so curious if maybe you have a lil spike? or something along those lines?

speaking of lines...(i didnt plan that transition, i swear.lol) the red line you speak of, that sounds like a disease tho, not an abnormality.

Awards Showcase

Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 
    Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Do they "headstand" mostly after they eat? I've seen other speices gorge themselves than have trouble swimming for awile after.

I'm no expert on severums but I do alot of reading and Severums do usually have a scattering of small spots on the upper half of the body. I don't think the markings are anything to worry about.

Your third question I don't have an answer for.

Good to see you back on the forum.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Amelia, I have noticed similar behavior in my severum lately. He didn't start doing it until I added tankmates and he he always does the "headstand" or other weird things right before he pokes at one of the new firemouth I have added. However, he doesn't do it very often. The best I can speculate is that it's some form of display to show territorial aggression? I haven't had aggression issues with him yet besides the odd poke, little dudes are too fast for him anyways:p Best of luck, if I find anything out in regards to our issues I'll certainly let you know.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    I have never observed this behavior in my sevs.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bloodworms are not a safe food to feed to cichlids.They cause bloat and are full of pathogens.Bloodworms are the larval stage of a flying insect.They are often farmed in third world countries with less than sanitary methods.

0 Not allowed!
    Severums tend to benefit greatly from the occasional addition of bloodworms to their diet. At least that's what I've gathered from my research.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    My gold sev used to headstand. Freaked me out at first, but after a while of him having no signs of illness I just chalked it up to him being weird. He would sometimes do flips at the end of the tank. He was weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

0 Not allowed!
    Could this be something they do when sleeping? I've had fish do weird things at nap time.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    My gourami does head stands as well but hers are more like she's searching for food as her feelers constantly feel the gravel when she does her head stands. Sometimes she picks as the gravel as well. Sometimes she just does it and barely moves when shes in the head stand then comes out of it.. I think its just normal behavior.. I mean rapid spirals are definitely not normal but an occasional head stand or flip or a jump out of the water, all seem normal.