· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Aquarium kit must haves?

0 Not allowed!
    G'day folks, so as I type this I'm currently fishlessly cycling my first ever aquarium, a 125 lightly planted. I joined this forum to absorb knowledge, so here's an open question:

In any hobby there are certain tools/pieces of equipment etc that you should never be caught without. I'm curious to hear what some of these are for you guys. I don't mean things like "this is the essential filter" or "the best powerhead" or whatever, I mean things like "I get anxiety attacks if I don't have ich medicine on hand" or "I always have algae control chems in stock." Stuff like that!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    THE API FRESHWATER MASTER KIT...this kit is the water testing GOD...trust me i started on strips and they were not as accurate as this is....

Also seachem's prime and seachem's stability...

i'm sure the others have more thoughts...

oh and eyedroppers to administer ammonia drops during the fishless cycle...trust me you're goin to want them.

20 gallon tall -7 paskai's rainbowfish (neons and blue eyes), 8 rasbora het, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 9 cherry shrimp, 3 algae eating shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis (separated), 1 bunch water wysteria (separated), 1 red wendii, Mossball, 1 microsword plant (separated), 1 package of staurogyne repense (separated)

Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

0 Not allowed!
    A bucket(s), I like to have graduated pippettes (ml) and medicine droppers and syringes handy for spot feeding, dosing ferts, dosing meds, dosing ammonia during cycle etc. Several different sized nets, Multiple foods, A general array of meds. Various sized cups and containers for feeding frozen/live foods. Dedicated hospital/QT tank. A battery backup air supply.
    In addition to an Api Freshwater Master Test kit I also have API's GH and KH test kits. And a water changer like the Python. There's more but I can't think of them right now.
    Last edited by jeffs99dime; 12-10-2012 at 12:48 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    In addition to all the above, one of the below

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/revi...ct=450&cat=all

Along with some: prazi pro, and paraguard, and a cycled sponge filter with a QT tank ready to be set-up.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    QT
    QT
    QT
    QT....nothing more important than the back up plan.

Awards Showcase

Wishing You the Very Best for the New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year - Celtic Fins Happy new year! - Brookfish happy new year! - The Red Severum All Sailors love coffee - jbeining75 
    Sailor - Brookfish cheers bud! - Crispy Happy Birthday bud! - Brookfish thanks for the rep! - Lab_Rat congrats on motm - Lab_Rat 
    Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the nomination - Cliff Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff No Message - cer Thanks for the rep - Cliff 
    thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra Happy Birthday - KingFisher thanks for the rep:) Zebra pleco for you! - Northerly Merry Christmas - Cliff Just a Thanks! - Plecos 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor Autism - sailor 

0 Not allowed!
    With a 125 gal you are going to want a python or similar water change system.
    I see Cliff beat me to it.
    Sailor

Aye Aye

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK, some nice stuff there! I have the API master kit, and tons of prime, no stability though, I'll look into that one. I have a mountain of syringes (get one with every bottle of kids tylenol), and if I was adding ammonia by the drop I'd still be trying to hit 4ppm with my tank.
    For water changes I have a branch off my closed loop that goes directly to the drain, and a fill line plumbed right into the tank.
    It did seem to me that I should look into meds, but the only infection I've ever heard of is ich, so I'll look into some catfish safe ones, any other specific meds I should be thinking about?
    I'll also be ordering foods this week, well in advance of any fish, and I have a cycled QT, but might look into a better one. I have an unclaimed 20 long that will easily be able to hold anything I'm getting.
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check out anything I haven't already covered!

0 Not allowed!
    All that stuff others mentioned. I use a ups battery backup, suppose to be for electronics like computers, but works well to run a few air pumps off of. I just leave the air pumps hooked up to it all the time, never know when the power will go out. Plenty of towels and a shop vac to clean the carpet when you spill a bucket of water.

Lightbulb It comes in handy :-D

0 Not allowed!
    Lots of good stuff so far, I would add a large dose of patience.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Safe (much cheaper than Prime if you have large tanks), Maracyn 1 &2, metronidazole, PraziPro, air pumps, air stones, sponge filters, spare tanks for QT
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.