· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Beginning

Default A New Beginning

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone!

My family and I are in the process of finding a new beginning, and I wanted to document it by starting a journal for those of you who may be interested in sharing my experience.

I hope this is okay with everyone.

My husband and I have been married for 5 years now (this past November). Since we've been married we've lived in 3 different homes.

The first home we moved into was small, old, and had to be heated with a wood stove. This was an interesting and fun experience, but I don't think I'd do it again.

The second home we moved into was an old trailer situated about 25 feet from railroad tracks, and in full sunlight. Anyone who has lived in a trailer will know how hard it is to heat and cool a poorly insulated trailer.

The third and current move was into, again a small, old home. Fortunately we actually have updated heat, and really love it here. The downfalls of being here are that the home does NOT have a foundation, and it only has one bedroom. My son's room is what should be the dining room, and we have to go through it to get to the bathroom, kitchen, and laundry room. Of course he's too young to care right now, but when he makes a mess it's like the whole house is messed up.

The BIG part of all this is that all of these properties were/are rented.

We are now in the process of buying a home! We are soooo excited! If things go as planned we should close the deal with the bank on the 21st of this month. The property is 40 acres, has a pond, a 2 stall barn, a chicken coup, and a storage shed.

Please join me in a tour of what Im getting into.

Above is a picture of one of the things I find most attractive about this property. The looooooonnnng private driveway that ends in a locked gate. Privacy my friends! You can't see the home until you are basically at the end of the driveway, and I like it. The picture is about halfway down the driveway, going out. What we plan on doing with this is building a wooden fence, painted black going all the way up the driveway on the left side. This will serve as decorative, and actual functional fencing for cattle and our pony.

At the end of the driveway you'll encounter the home. Yes, a trailer. Thankfully this one is well insulated, and has central heat and air. The tree in the front is coming down. When Sandy hit we got some pretty high winds, and that was the result.

The plan for this is kind of rednecky, but hey I'm a Kentuckian. . . We will be building onto the front of the trailer, exactly doubling it in size. When the construction is complete, we'll be covering the entire thing in vinyl siding which will hopefully make it impossible to tell that a trailer was ever there.

OR we may build on, then take the trailer out, and build the other half. That would be a bit complicated though, since we have to live there while all this is going on.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!

Here we have a photo of the stalls. This needs a bit of work, but we're up for it. The other side of this is a 30 by 20 foot storage area for hay and things like that.

This is the chicken coup. This obviously also needs some work, but at least the base of what we need is there. Some reinforcing will have to be done to keep the predators out, but other than that we're good.
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!

This is the storage shed that is located to the left of the home. It's pretty nice as far as sheds go. The people there now are keeping stuff in it, and it all looked in good shape. When the brush you see behind the building is cut, you'll be able to see the home.

THis is the pond. The leaves are making it look all ugly. Lol. It's also a lot bigger than this picture lets on.

0 Not allowed!
    That's basically all I have for you now.

I'm hoping to be able to show you how we change the place, and also keep a record for myself.

This will be the first time we've had something that belongs to US, and we feel like there is so much opportunity connected to this place. I'll keep you updated!

0 Not allowed!
    Buying a home is always special, congrats!

Funny really... 40 acres... in metric that's 161874 square meters. Over here that amount of land if it was farmland would already cost you about $400000. If it was land that's zoned as a residential area you'd get little change out of 50 million.

0 Not allowed!
    Oops, I forgot to mention the price! Haha. We're getting this for $55,000.

0 Not allowed!
    OK...

Now I not only congratulate you but I can also tell you I really envy you.

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to home ownership! CONGRATS!

You are gonna be walking around YOUR place with quite a buzz for a while mandy .

Enjoy!

EDIT:
    The property is 40 acres, has a pond, a 2 stall barn, a chicken coup, and a storage shed.
    <-- No Mule? ;-)
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 12-09-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    With a country estate like that she'd better pack lunch if she wants to see it all.

Awards Showcase

TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    $55,000 !!! do you know how much 40 acres would cost out here on the left coast? Great purchase for your familey.

Like everybody else I'm Happy for you.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep