· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default so given what i've seen in other threads i've started i have a question

0 Not allowed!
    I saw a post in the other thread that recommended not going with harlequin rasboras because off the site they go to, a 2 foot long tank is ideal for them.

My tank is a standard 10 gallon meaning 20L, 10W, 10T

My original stocking was going to be like this....

8 Harlequin rasbora
    4 oto cats
    1 assassin snail (as this was the original tank i saw the mystery snail in)

Cherry barbs were my next choice in fish, but also looking at cardinal or neon tetras, though would like to keep the oto cats and snail in the tank with whichever fish i choose.

It would have to be in the tetra family as i only have a ten gallon tank, and i want to be able to have a decent school for them. AqAvisor said that the above stocking for the rasboras would put my tank at 92% stocking.

I do know i can get both cardinal, and normal neon tetras in my area. I don't know if id want glowfish because this tank is in my bedroom, though by the time i go to bed i do turn the night led's off and leave the tank completely dark.

My heater is aqueon 50w and i love it because i can see the temperture i'm adjusting it to, which is something i needed for the species specific tank as they generic one i got with the starter set kept jumping too high for what i needed.

I could do white cloud mountain minnows however i don't know if they would adjust to the 78.4 degrees F i would be keeping it at for the oto cats and the snail because they prefer lower tempertures.

Thoughts, suggestions?

This tank is currently still going through a fishless cycle, so i want to make sure i have all my ducks (i know ducks on a fish forum, i'm so bad) in a row before stocking it in about hopefully two to three weeks as i've been on the cycle since november 24. Finally got the eyedroppers for the ammonia too, will make dosing so much easier.
    6 gal column- 1 powder blue dwarf gourami, 1 bronze cory, and one nerite snail, planted.
    10 gal - 2 F celebus rainbows, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 1 mystery snail, planted
    10 gal #2 - 6 flame tetras, 1 ornate tetra, 1 nerite snail, and 1 emperor tetra planted
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't do glofish because they are danios - they need a lot more space (due to their activity level) than 10gal & don't stay very small - you need fish that stay very small for that size tank - neons work well - cherry barbs also dont' stay very small. Harlequins I am not very familiar with as to final size.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Harlequins final size is 2 inches.

I agree on the cherry barbs, they also like to breed.

I will look into neons and post findings here (see additions below).
    Tank is currently still in fishless cycle NitrIte spike stage.

Neon Tetra stocking is as follows...results are according to AqAdvisor and weekly water change schedules are subject to change in result of water testing readings.

10 neon Tetra (NOT CARDINALS)
    4 oto cats
    1 assassin snail (this tank had the mystery snail i found in it during fishless)

Water changes recommended by AqAdvisor 29% per week. Tank stocking level according to AqAdvisor is 98%. I have plenty of filtration.

Should i go with this instead of the harlequins? What do you guys think.
    Last edited by Shidohari; 12-09-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    6 gal column- 1 powder blue dwarf gourami, 1 bronze cory, and one nerite snail, planted.
    10 gal - 2 F celebus rainbows, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 nerite snail, 1 mystery snail, planted
    10 gal #2 - 6 flame tetras, 1 ornate tetra, 1 nerite snail, and 1 emperor tetra planted

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shidohari

I could do white cloud mountain minnows however i don't know if they would adjust to the 78.4 degrees F i would be keeping it at for the oto cats and the snail because they prefer lower tempertures.

Err... otocat is usually Otocinclus Affinis I think. For that species 78.4 is pretty much their top limit. They'd do fine at say 22C which will also work for white clouds.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie
    Err... otocat is usually Otocinclus Affinis I think. For that species 78.4 is pretty much their top limit. They'd do fine at say 22C which will also work for white clouds.

i'll look to see what white cloud mountain minnows look like on AqAdvisor with this set up. Stay tuned to this thread.

for my otos it's otocinclus veritas (something similar to that name, they only get two inches at the most at maturity)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    AqAdvisor readings for white cloud mountain minnow set up
    Tank plenty of filtration
    Recommended temperture, no more than 77 degrees F
    Water Change percentage weekly 29% (overridden by testing)
    Stocking parameters with the below listing 92%

Stocking for White cloud mountain minnows
    8 white cloud
    4 oto cat
    1 assassin snail

Given the three options i have listed here aka the Neon setup, the Harlequin setup, and the white cloud mountain minnow set up, which of the three should i go with when the tank cycles in 2-3 weeks.

0 Not allowed!
    I admit I have not read all of the threads you have going about this tank, But this link will be useful if you have not seen it before.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah....

aquaadvisor is pretty decent when it comes to calculation filtration but it does NOT take into account things like cover needs and swimming space.