· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    What temp do you keep your tank? Are you making sure to use water with equivalent temperatures during your water changes?
    The temperature is at 79 degrees F. I use one of those water changers that connect to the sink and I set the faucet to the same temperature and I check it with a digital thermometer so it matches before I refill.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Going back to my last post... There may be something in the well water that is affecting them. Something that is NOT something we regularly test for. Something may have leeched into the well at some point in the last 2 months that has been undetected. So like i said before, get a sample tested.

Another possibility is salt. Have you had to treat an ich outbreak, or similar disease with salt? As far as im aware, cories are very sensitive to salt and would take quite a few WC's to remove it.
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

0 Not allowed!
    I'm leaning toward CrazedMichael's thought. It's either something odd in the water or you just got bad stock. Seems like you're doing everything right. =/
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    Looking at the picture you posted, you have a beautiful aquarium.

I did notice what appears to be some yucky brown stuff on or inside of the intake tube on the back of your tank.

Do you clean your filter(s) regularly, or at least brush out the tubes and impeller chambers when they get gunky? That might be part of your problem -- excessive nitrates from dirty filters or dirty filter components. If the filter media gets clogged, that could also raise the nitrate level to an unsafe range. Rinsing the media in siphoned tank water will help clean it up a bit with minimal loss of your BB.

Has there been any construction work near your home recently, or sewage overflow, that might have contaminated your well water? Is yours a private well or a communal well? Sometimes, the powers that be will chlorinate a communal well. Have you had flooding in your area? That could also foul once-pristine well water.

The only other thing I can think of is you got some weak stock that already had ticking time bombs inside of them when you purchased them, and the slightest bit of stress from who-knows-where was enough to do them in.

Sometimes we have mystery deaths in our tanks that just can't be figured out. But in your case, I would definitely get your well water tested by someone who is COMPETENT (rare, these days!) to do it correctly and give you accurate results.

Meanwhile, try brushing out that intake tube and any other filter components that have become gunky, and see if that helps. It may be nothing more involved than that.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe
    Looking at the picture you posted, you have a beautiful aquarium.

I did notice what appears to be some yucky brown stuff on or inside of the intake tube on the back of your tank.

Do you clean your filter(s) regularly, or at least brush out the tubes and impeller chambers when they get gunky? That might be part of your problem -- excessive nitrates from dirty filters or dirty filter components. If the filter media gets clogged, that could also raise the nitrate level to an unsafe range. Rinsing the media in siphoned tank water will help clean it up a bit with minimal loss of your BB.

Has there been any construction work near your home recently, or sewage overflow, that might have contaminated your well water? Is yours a private well or a communal well? Sometimes, the powers that be will chlorinate a communal well. Have you had flooding in your area? That could also foul once-pristine well water.

The only other thing I can think of is you got some weak stock that already had ticking time bombs inside of them when you purchased them, and the slightest bit of stress from who-knows-where was enough to do them in.

Sometimes we have mystery deaths in our tanks that just can't be figured out. But in your case, I would definitely get your well water tested by someone who is COMPETENT (rare, these days!) to do it correctly and give you accurate results.

Meanwhile, try brushing out that intake tube and any other filter components that have become gunky, and see if that helps. It may be nothing more involved than that.

-- mermaidwannabe
    There is some yucky brown stuff on the plants, but it only grows directly under the lighting so I beleive it to be an algae and I'm working on cleaning it up. It's a light film coating so I'm not real worried about it. I live in the country so no construction nearby, we're the only one's on the well, and I only WISH we had flooding. Our river that runs through town is at it's all time recorded low over the last 102 years.

BUT somebody mentioned SALT and that could be possible. I haven't done any treatments to the tank but I run this freshwater tank and I have a saltwater tank. About a week ago I was feeding mysis shrimp to the SW tank and didn't use up a full cube so I put the remainder in the freshwater tank. Prior to doing that the mysis had been soaking in saltwater and it would be entirely possible the cory's ate the salty shrimp.

I haven't had any more losses since I started this thread so maybe whatever was going on has come and gone.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cj5_dude

BUT somebody mentioned SALT and that could be possible. I haven't done any treatments to the tank but I run this freshwater tank and I have a saltwater tank. About a week ago I was feeding mysis shrimp to the SW tank and didn't use up a full cube so I put the remainder in the freshwater tank. Prior to doing that the mysis had been soaking in saltwater and it would be entirely possible the cory's ate the salty shrimp.

I haven't had any more losses since I started this thread so maybe whatever was going on has come and gone.
    So i might be on the right track. From what i know, treating a tank for disease with salt with cories in a tank is considered high risk as they are quite sensitive to it. But in your case, if they have consumed salt, then that might be the reason.
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!