· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many?

0 Not allowed!
    Cherry barbs, They are FAR more mellow.

There are lots more kinds of barbs btw but not all are going to be appropriate for your tank [Or available locally, If at all], Some profiles here.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Those are the 20 Long dimensions, A 20g 'high' is 24" x 12" x 16".

Having said that, You might notice that directly above the video I posted I mentioned a 10G tank, I have no idea how that got in my head,

If you do this, Nothing else can go in that tank IMO.
    I was politely trying to nudge your mind to consider that you may have made a mistake.

20g high... that's 60cm wide in metric. Indeed rather small for tiger barbs. It could work but something 30 inch or more would be so much better.

Cherry barbs or any of the three lambchop rasbora (ok, not a barb but there's some simularities) would work better but OP already owns the tiger barbs.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie
    I was politely trying to nudge your mind to consider that you may have made a mistake.

20g high... that's 60cm wide in metric. Indeed rather small for tiger barbs. It could work but something 30 inch or more would be so much better.

Cherry barbs or any of the three lambchop rasbora (ok, not a barb but there's some simularities) would work better but OP already owns the tiger barbs.
    +1 to the above, 20g is not ideal.

The attempt at correction is much appreciated :-D - Btw, There's no need to 'nudge' me or be euphemistic, Just tell me, I can take it. .

I am the last person that wants me to be putting out inaccurate information. Brain farts, Typos, Misreads or whatever happen to everybody from time to time - It's no big deal as long as the correction gets made
    Thanks again.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!

Anytime!

Problem with this whole thread... a species only tiger barb (well, maybe with some kuhli loaches) is now firmly embedded on my "someday list" and only just below the hillstream.

0 Not allowed!
    I, too, think a 20 gallon is much too small for all Barbs (except cherry barbs). I don't care what a chart says! They are aggressive and need their space. I would not keep them in anything less than a 40 gallon...........at least a tank 36" long.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 12-10-2012 at 11:40 AM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some fish, no matter the size to gallon ratio, need longer tanks for swimming.

Some fish, Giant Danio & Buenos Aires Testras for example, are very fast and active swimmers and need space to move around, so the longer 3-5 foot tanks are better for these species.

Other species need longer tanks for territorial reasons, Tiger barbs and Rainbow Sharks for example. they get irritable and nippy if too crowded.

In a 20 gallon tall, I think this is a good tank for slower more docile fish, especially good for fish with flowy fins. Guppies, Mollies, Platies, Swordtails are a good start.

I think a very successful and fun tank to maintain using a 20gal tall:
    8 Fancy Guppies (I like Cobra or snakeskin)
    2 Ballon Lyretail Mollies
    2 Julii Cory Cats
    8-10 Shrimp of your choosing (Cherry Shrimp, Ghost Shrimp, Yellow Neon Shrimp)

THoughts?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavis1979

I think a very successful and fun tank to maintain using a 20gal tall:
    8 Fancy Guppies (I like Cobra or snakeskin)
    2 Ballon Lyretail Mollies
    2 Julii Cory Cats
    8-10 Shrimp of your choosing (Cherry Shrimp, Ghost Shrimp, Yellow Neon Shrimp)

THoughts?
    Never do cories in these numbers! Preferably do them on sand.

That aside this would work well.

Lambchops could do in this tank if you set it up nice with wood, leafs and some plants.
    If you let go of the community aspect you could do a harem of any of the American dwarf cichlids and supplement with a few pencil fish

Awards Showcase

Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 to your next Betta - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 
    Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly 
    A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    This is both distressing and enlightening at the same time. Thank you all for suggestions on what fish would work, but that still leaves me with a bunch of Tiger Barbs that might do alright but more than likely end up fighting too much. I have the tank planted with swords and various other plants I got from a friend. I've also incorporated drift wood and stone in ways to make shelters and hiding places. Although it's a 20 gallon, could this aid in them getting along? Theoretically they can all have a small space without having to look at one another.

0 Not allowed!
    Theoretically doesn't always work with fish - it's not like you can tell them "Ok, here's your spot - now everyone has a special place in here so keep to yourselves!" I hope you get my point - a "territory" involves more area than just a hiding place - often it involves half a tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 to your next Betta - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 
    Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly 
    A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Well... what do y'all suggest be done? I don't know if I can take them back to the store.