· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Introduction

0 Not allowed!
    well,,in a nutshell,,my friend had this aquarium i liked,,and he is moving,,so sold it to me,,He didnt give me much info,,so i figured id find a forum and start reading,,It looks like i have one oscar,,and a jack dempsy(i need to look him up to see what he needs) and tonight i went out and bought a stand for this 55gal aquarium(when my neighbor wakes up in the morning ill have him assist me in putting the aquarium on the stand,,i have it drained to a few inches above the oscar for when i moved it over her,,and will fill it up when i get it on the stand)

Well,,thats my introduction in a nutshell,,

Im off to read the faqs im sure you have here

Fred Raud

PS,,A leech also comes with this tank,,WTH do you feed a leech?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    A 55 gallon is generally ruled as about the size (mininium) for one oscar. I don't know the size of your fish but you may have to get a larger tank if you wish to house them both or get another 55 gallon eventually for one of them.
    Oscars can get huge.

You could have removed everything from the tank for the move and probably should have. Moving a tank with the weight of the gravel plus water makes for a very heavy process and not good for the tank seal. Just the water swishing can break your seal. The bacteria is not in the water but in the filter media and the gravel so you could have replaced all new water in that tank safely.

I hope you really enjoy your new tank and fish. Do large water changes weekly and feed them good foods and you should have no problems.

Welcome to the forum.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas my friend! - Taurus   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jeffs99dime   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jeffs99dime   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

RAK - DemonShark   CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs   for new bed - Lady Hobbs   for new wife - Lady Hobbs   to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome aboard!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks very much for helping me and sticking with me till the end. lol - squirt_12   For your new baby girl! - gm72   **Congrats On Your New Baby **  : ) - MeganL3985   Congrats!!! - Hailey   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   
    Autism - country_boy454   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - country_boy454   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forums!
    20g long 84w, fluorite, planted, 5 Habrosus Corys, MTS, pair of Clown Pleco (L104)
    20gal tall: home to 10 brevis. Letting them pair off then will put the rest into the 55.
    55g empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need a gift...keep up all of the good work....  :) - squirt_12   For keeping a cool head! - coachfraley   to the SW expert! - cocoa_pleco   a fish for your 90g. - squirt_12   for your awesome 90g! - squirt_12   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - spudbuds   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum!
    90G Reef Build Thread

90 Gallon Reef: Ocellaris Clowns, Midas Blenny, Ignitus Anthias, Various inverts
    20 Gallon SW Quarantine: Exquisite Wrasse
    10 Gallon SW Quarantine: Empty
    55 Gallon Community: Neon Tetras, Gold Neon Tetras, GloFish, Corydoras (paleatus & trilineatus), Otocinclus, Mollies, Platies, Apple Snails
    5 Gallon: Crowntail Betta, African Dwarf Frog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a gift as a thank you for adding me as a buddy! - *Sarah*   Congrats on the new fry :) - *Sarah*   *kicks* :P - Drumachine09   Just because! - 2manyfish   Have a great Birthday! - CAF   
    Childhood Cancer - squirt_12   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - squirt_12   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum!!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for being a champion =D - Full3R   you need a tang! - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow!
    A leech, or a loach? They are very different things!
    We can help you with loaches - leeches just need blood ^_^

Do read and keep a copy of the free e-book, find it here at http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html
    Currently: Spotted Blue-eyes, two species of Australian shrimp, Ornate Rainbowfish, Guppies, Corydoras, goldfish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for good info! - Lady Hobbs   beer, anyone? - Lady Hobbs   great link on the diy oxengenator!!!  this one's on me - jeffs99dime   Keep on rhymin' - Rue   A fosters for you - crackatinny   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - CAF   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - CAF   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - CAF   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - CAF   AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - CAF   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to AC!!!! Let us know if we can help you out!
    Vice President
    Colorado Aquarium Society
    http://www.coloradoaquarium.org/

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    A 55 gallon is generally ruled as about the size (mininium) for one oscar. I don't know the size of your fish but you may have to get a larger tank if you wish to house them both or get another 55 gallon eventually for one of them.
    Oscars can get huge.

You could have removed everything from the tank for the move and probably should have. Moving a tank with the weight of the gravel plus water makes for a very heavy process and not good for the tank seal. Just the water swishing can break your seal. The bacteria is not in the water but in the filter media and the gravel so you could have replaced all new water in that tank safely.

I hope you really enjoy your new tank and fish. Do large water changes weekly and feed them good foods and you should have no problems.

Welcome to the forum.
    yes,,ive read the threads here(and elsewhere) on # of oscars vs. tank size,,but i have what I have,,the oscar(orangish in color) measures 8 inches in length,,and the fish im told is a jack dempsy is much smaller,,and anytime i walk in the room,,the jack dempsy seems to try and hide behind the larger oscar fish,ive dropped in the food that was given to me ,is called TetraCichlid Jumbosticks, and TetraCichlid 'Cichlid Sticks'. it looks pretty generic,,and today I will hit a fish shop to see if i can h ire someone to tend to these fish while him gone(i am gone alot,,for weeks at a time,,the guy i bought them from works in the same industry told me he often leaves without feeding them for week,,so i figured an ideal pet,,yet im reading up and finding out thats not the way to care for them,,now my responsibility,,so ill hire someone to care for them while im gone,,anybody here in anchorage?)

so far ive dropped a few of these 'sticks' in ,,and the fish just seem to swim and hide from me and not eat at the sticks,,im wondering if i can just drop some guppies or gold fish in there and 'free feed',,,my landlord has some kids next door i planned on having care for the fish while im out,,,but I think for my first trip i need someone here that is familiar with fish to fix any thing i have set up wrong,,Hopefully a local fish shop has someone who needs some spare change to take care of that,,

i see you mention good foods,,im going to guess if i start a thread about food,,ill get much debate,,(ive read so much conflicting information on the internet,,its tiring,,),,,

and back to 55g with 2 fish(+ leech) it seems that general thought is he has to have turning room,,tanks depth measures 13 inches,,he measures 8 inches,,so im good to go for now,,I am concerned he isnt as large as i think he should be,,but im guessing that its due to the person i bought the set up from not taking the best of care of,,,

At any rateim back to reading,,might make a post today,,Ill post the pics i have now as well,,

Fred Raud