· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Unhappy Discus Losing Red Color

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 65 gallon discus tank that has been established for 6 months. All discus are healthy and eat, but i noticed one of the red ones has lost alot of color. No other signs of anything. Any ideas?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Can be the food; are you feeding both a high quality (B vitamin fortified) and giving some live brine shrimp? These can get color back.

Also, what temperature do you keep them? 82 F is low and I feel 84-86 works best. Are your water changes large enough and often enough?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i keep at 84-86. fish died this am i do large h20 changes feed frozen black worms, hikari ciclid gold, tetra min flakes. I had noticed my tank was at 90 so i lowered it. Prob my tank was too warm for too long.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the loss.

Maybe if the temp was that way for a long time; discus can handle 90 F but more than two weeks I don't know.

That said, next time try salt (aquarium) 1 tsp/gal and do hold the temp at 90F but do this only for two weeks (this assumes the tank isn't already that high ... for sick fish only.) This has cured a lot of problems for my discus.

I do not trust frozen or fresh black worms - frozen still is filled with bacteria and parasites and sooner or later, I'd get sick fish. I would use only sterilized frozen worms. Brine shrimp (alive) are safe and with a good pellet offers good nutrition.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    how do i know if the frozen is sterilized? will say on package? i thought they all were sterilized if frozen.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by emster1
    how do i know if the frozen is sterilized? will say on package? i thought they all were sterilized if frozen.
    Yes, it must say it or it isn't.