· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: going with sand

1. Default going with sand

0 Not allowed!
    I always wanted sand and well a bit scared. So with my 20L I am going with sand. My question is after the sand settles down the first time; when you go to gravel vac will it always make a mess. I am going with a big sponge filter so not to worried about clogging the filter.

0 Not allowed!
    It is a little different than cleaning gravel as you don't have to go as deep to get the crud out of the sand. You will quickly get the hang of it and once you do, it's no different than cleaning any other substrate, at least IME
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    alright sound good, thanks, idk why i always had a fear of always having a cloudy tank. thanks cliff..

ps.. I hope those fish take care of you.. your avatar

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    You don't have to worry about clogging your filters if you just leave your input tube a few inches above the substrate. The sand won't move unless you or something actually get to digging in it. I don't sink my python into the sand at all when vacumming, skimming the surface works just fine. You actually don't want to disturb the water too much while cleaning, as it stirs up the detritus off the sand making it harder to suction.

I love sand substrate, don't think I will ever go back to gravel, aside from flourite and the like...

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks yall, picked up some sand, now just waiting on the light and a heater