· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Combining filters

0 Not allowed!
    I have read that a lot of people combine more than one type of filter in case one fails. Looking at my options, I was thinking about getting a Marineland Emperor 400 and Eheim 2213 canister for a 75 gallon tank.

However, it is a lot cheaper for me to get 2 of the emperors. What are your thoughts? any advise?

0 Not allowed!
    For a 75 gallon, you should have a canister. IMO, the Emperors are cheap because they stink! People run two filters because one is not generally enough to filter the tank well enough.

You will probably get a better deal looking at Rena's filters. But check online. Better prices online.

If someone is going to run a hang on the back, at least get an AquaClear so you don't have those dumb little cartridges to contend with.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    For a 75 gallon, you should have a canister. IMO, the Emperors are cheap because they stink! People run two filters because one is not generally enough to filter the tank well enough.

You will probably get a better deal looking at Rena's filters. But check online. Better prices online.

If someone is going to run a hang on the back, at least get an AquaClear so you don't have those dumb little cartridges to contend with.
    The reviews on this site and a few others recommend them. Most people state they can handle a big bioload. Why do they stink?

0 Not allowed!
    I like canister filters myself, they usually hold a great deal more media and run more quietly. A rena xp 3 would work well, or an eheim brand canister. I usually avoid hob (hang on back) filters, cost of cartridges and hold less media.

Whatever filter you go with, having 2 is always better than one. As a backup and to increase filtration in your tank.

One emperor for a 75g doesn't seem like enough by the way.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I run two emperor 400 pro series on my 75 gallon and they work fine. Not great just fine. I religiously do water changes weekly, sometimes twice a week. The few times i couldnt, they handled well...the cartridges are a pain, and expensive, but i modify the old frame after the cartridges are worn out by removing the old filter floss off of it with a knife and putting scotch brand scouring pads on them and also run polyfil in the media containers. They do just as good of a job imo but are more maintenance

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest a good canister filter such as the Eheim 2213 you have mentioned or a Rena XP3. Although I have yet to use a Eheim, many people here do and really like them. Either of those canister filters will give you more biomedia when compared to a HOB filter

I tried a marineland 400 HOB before and found it did not work that well as it made a lot of noise. If you want a HOB filter to run with your canister, I would suggest a AC70 or AC110 would be a lot better option for you.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 penguin 350s on my 55 gallon. They do a good job, never had any problems with them.