· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Goldfish-large red patch on side

0 Not allowed!
    There is a 20 gallon aquarium in my office with 5 goldfish in it, 4 orange, 1 black (if it matters). One of the orange goldfish recently developed a large red patch on it's side, and it's starting to look a little white in the center too. I have attached photos, let me know what you think it is and how it can be treated, thanks!

Kelly
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    First of all, that is way too small of a tank for that many goldfish and 2nd, does anyone check the water parameters in the tank or change the water regularly?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't been working here very long, I changed the water last week. I guess the fish have been here at least 6 months. I doubt my boss checks anything else, she is 70 years old and doesn't seem to know much about this stuff.

0 Not allowed!
    The fish most probably looks that way due to poor water quality and the stress of living in too small of a tank with too many tank mates.

If you're able to talk to your boss about this issue and get a liquid test kit, you might be able to prevent more damage to that fish as well as the others by testing the water parameters and doing large water changes - how much water did you change? Goldfish produce a lot of waste and if not enough water/waste is being removed from the tank (especially from the substrate), toxic stuff is building up in there and making the goldfish ill. I"m guessing the filtration is most probably inadequate as well.

The best solution would be getting a much larger tank or seeing if the fish could be put into a pond and getting different fish that are more appropriate for that size tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you! I am a cichlid person, so I'm not very knowledgeable on goldfish care. The water temperature was at 75 degrees, which is supposed to be more like 65 degrees from what I read, so I pulled the heater out. I changed about a third of the water. I vacuumed the gravel and A LOT of dirt came out, so I'm sure the water condition was rough. I changed the filter cartridge too, the filter is a Tetra Whisper EX20. I can do a complete water change today, I was just afraid that might be too hard on the fish.

Thanks again! how much room do you think they need? Or how many goldfish do you think would be ok in that size tank? The black goldfish is 3-4" long, the orange ones 2-3".

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly9511
    Thank you! I am a cichlid person, so I'm not very knowledgeable on goldfish care. The water temperature was at 75 degrees, which is supposed to be more like 65 degrees from what I read, so I pulled the heater out. I changed about a third of the water. I vacuumed the gravel and A LOT of dirt came out, so I'm sure the water condition was rough. I changed the filter cartridge too, the filter is a Tetra Whisper EX20. I can do a complete water change today, I was just afraid that might be too hard on the fish.

Thanks again! how much room do you think they need? Or how many goldfish do you think would be ok in that size tank? The black goldfish is 3-4" long, the orange ones 2-3".
    Ooh - changing a filter cartridge is not a good idea (if you still have access to it I would put it back into the filter before it dries out) - all the beneficial bacteria needed to keep the tank cycled is now gone (the bacteria "eats" the ammonia produced by the fish). Media (such as your cartridge) should be rinsed in used tank water and put right back into the filter unless it's falling apart (which it shouldn't be after only 6mos). While goldfish are hardy fish, there are so many in that tank that throwing out the old cartridge means you would really need to change the water and test it to make sure ammonia doesn't build up in the water until you grow more bacteria in the new cartridge.

The only main differences that I know of between cichlids & goldfish is that goldfish don't need a heater and you don't have to worry about aggression towards tankmates because goldfish aren't aggressive. - however, water changes aren't hard on fish - in fact, fish do much better when kept in clean water with a cycled filter - goldfish need larger water changes more often due to the waste they produce.

Honestly, that size tank is not good for even one goldfish - generally, they grow to a minimum of 6" (depending upon the species). I've seen a minimum of 30gal for 1 recommended with others recommended for ponds because of their potential size.

7. Default Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    Ouch, ok, I changed the filter last week at my boss' request. I bet that's what brought this on. We do have some Stress Zyme if you think that will help. I can also do a complete water change today. With cichlids I've always read that they don't like more than a 30% water change, and I didn't think goldfish were as hardy as cichlids, so I didn't want to kill them with a drastic water change!

I'll see if my boss is open to getting a larger tank. If not, what fish do you recommend for a 20 gallon tank? Also, is there anything that you recommend I can put in the water to promote healing while my boss and I either get a larger tank or find them a new home? It's been so long since I've had any issues with my cichlids, I can't remember what's best anymore.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

0 Not allowed!
    Print out the goldfish size chart in my signature and hand it to her. This is cruel. And I would guess ammonia is burning the skin of these fish.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just spoke with my boss. She feels terrible, the lady at the pet store told her this set up would be fine for them. She's 70 years old, so she doesn't know any better. I have the whole tank taken apart right now, going to give it a deep cleaning. Looking at the pics, do you know what kind of goldfish these are?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly9511
    I just spoke with my boss. She feels terrible, the lady at the pet store told her this set up would be fine for them. She's 70 years old, so she doesn't know any better. I have the whole tank taken apart right now, going to give it a deep cleaning. Looking at the pics, do you know what kind of goldfish these are?
    The goldfish in the picture looks like an oranda goldfish.