· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Bushynose Pleco Newbie

0 Not allowed!
    Hi All,

About a month ago I purchased a small bushynose pleco, he's about an 1.5 to 2 inches long. He immediately made short work of any algae that was growing in the tank, but we've also been feeding sinking algae wafers and sinking hikari wafers. The sinking wafers end up disappearing but we have 3 other cory cats and the platys really love a good algae wafer too, so I can't be sure it's the pleco. We've tried putting cucumber slices in the tank, Sweet potato etc, but nothing happens to them. He seems ok but I worry he's not getting enough to eat. We have a piece of driftwood in the tank because I heard that was good for their digestion. Any suggestions on the veggies on how to get him to see them as food or whatever?

Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    With mine, if they are getting enough food from the algae wafers wood and algae in the tank, they tend to leave the veggies alone, or at least take a long time before they will eat them. Sounds like yours is getting plenty to eat. If you look at his belly when he is stuck to the glass, it should have a plump round appearance. If it looks sunken in, he is not getting enough to eat.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I feel like I read, on this forum, that if you can see the V in their belly that they aren't eating enough. I think I was able to post a picture of his belly from a few days ago. It looks a little sunken in to me. :-(

Any ideas on how to get him to eat a little more?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    how long are you leaving the veggies in? Both my plecos had to be "trained" that the veggies are food... at first they'd ignore them for a while.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've been leaving the veggies for 24 hours overnight. The cuke started to disintegrate. Did you have any luck with a "starter veggie" to train your plecos?

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    cucumber's pretty good... you might try a zuccini - that seems to be favorite.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi I'm also new to my BN Pleco but this is what I have seen mine do. I was always trying to drop the shrimp pellets and wafers right where he would run into them until I noticed no matter where they drop if I watch soon the corys cats and BN will swim to them and if the BN wants it he gets it the only one that takes food away from him is my angel if she/he is in a snit and picking on every one that day she makes them work for it but in the end they still get the food. Someone on here posted something that made sense in a way is your BN pooping quite a bit if so he is eating simple but they do kind of go together
    30 gal Freshwater
    1 young Angel, 6 Pepper Corydoras, 5 Harlequin Rasbora 1 Bristle-nose Pleco

0 Not allowed!
    Bristlenose don't eat wood, that's panaque and even that's debatable if they actually eat it or if it's a byproduct of their grazing on aufwuchs. Bristlenose also do like to graze on whatever's growing on wood. What they also like is something to shelter in. A cave, half a terracotta flowerpot or a piece of pipe.

Young bristlenose can be weird when it comes to food. Cucumber is often the easiest to start on. Soften it up in boiling water for a minute or two. Stick on the end of a stainless steel fork and place in the tank. Remove after 24 hours.

what helps is to place it in the same spot every day, if possible on an open area near it's favorite hangout. If the fish doesn't show interest then split a clove of garlic and rub it over the veg.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They need to learn the veggies are food, patience and perseverance is the key. I've found it only takes a day or so for my Brisltenose fry to develop a liking for zucchini (slice about 1/2" thick on a fork, raw.) As soon as you see any sign of whatever you put in breaking up (usually 24 hours or so) remove it and put in a fresh bit

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've had the same experience as others. It took a few times before the BN realized the veggies were mmm good. I don't soften them at all, especially cucumbers, as they are a mess to remove if they start to deteriorate. I also found that he took to the cucumbers more easily at first but now will destroy a zucchini slice.