· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Adventures in siphoning...

0 Not allowed!
    So I used a siphon for the first time, an Aquaclear. Let me just say, they NEED better directions. Like, turn off the water when you stop the suction part, or the hose can blow off and soak all your stuff.

Yeah. So that was fun.

I think I figured out how to refill my tank though, but I'll double check here before trying again!!

1. Add dechlor to tank.

2. Everything off.

3. Dangle the siphon part in the tank, valve open

4. Valve at the faucet end open.

5. Turn on water, get to proper temp, then close valve at faucet.

6. Water pours into tank (and nowhere else!)

Right?? Why was I too slow to figure this out the first time, lol.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    Hehe it does take a few water changes to figure out what method works best when using a facet adapter type water changer. I've had a few mishaps with it as well. Once or twice I've had the end in the tank flop out of the tank while water was running! Really need to watch out for that. Also I've managed to flood my sink once I think, maybe twice. What happened was when the tank was draining to the sink, a few pieces of plant gunk blocked the top of the drain. Since the place had a double sink, I used the side with the garbage disposal to drain the tank in and left the disposal running.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the tips....maybe if I put the lid back on, it would hold the siphon in place.

Luckily at this stage of my fishkeeping, I don't worry about plant gunk....it's all plastic!

I DID find out my phantoms are thrill seekers...they were begging for a siphon ride! I'll have to be super careful.

Looks like my electronics will be ok now. :)
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azurescriber

I DID find out my phantoms are thrill seekers...they were begging for a siphon ride! I'll have to be super careful.
    Yes some fish have no sense of self preservation. The old python siphon I use has a shutoff valve near the siphon end, can close quickly if a fish gets into the vac. At my old place I would sometimes drop the hose out a 2nd story window or patio door, a neon swam right into the vac and down a 2 story water slide. Ran down the stairs and managed to find him on the grass, he lived:p Though I'm sure if the hose end had been attached to the sink, it would have been the end of him. You can attach a screen with a rubberband to the gravel vac end to avoid any fish getting in.