0 Not allowed!
    i am just curious
    minimum tanks size for a common goldfish
    some people say minimum of 60 gallons
    some say minimum of 10 gallons
    so what is it really

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    no goldfish ever belongs in a 10gallon. period.

0 Not allowed!
    I think the minimum for a comet is 55gal. There's a thread about this somewhere...

Here it is: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=47133

It gives you the sizes of a variety of goldfish. So, it depends on the fish. =]

That being said, none of these would fit comfortably in a 10gal tank, as mizzoutank said.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Commons need a pond, ideally.

Fancies can get away with 20g for the first, and add 10gs with every additional fancy.

Never a 10g.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    60 gallons is possibly enough water for them, but the footprint is more important here than just the amount of water. That link says common goldfish get to 12 inches and bigger, both the standard 55g and 60g are twelve inches wide so I think they need a bigger tank. All fish deserve enough room to turn around comfortably. If you have to put them in a tank, a 75 gallon is 18 inches wide which is better but in my opinion, they deserve bigger. Preferably they should be kept in ponds.
    Last edited by mommy1; 12-06-2012 at 07:59 AM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    To be considered a true aquarist, you would put goldfish in a pond as they get very big
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

0 Not allowed!
    Check red link in my signature.

Comets and commons are pond fish mostly.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Commons in a pond. Fancies like Orandas and such, 20 gallons min. for each fish. My Daughter had a Redcap Oranda in a 20 High for many years, fish was always swimming around, playing with various things in the tank( She had one of those goofy Mills with a turning waterwheel on the bottom, powered by air.This
    seemed to totally fascinate the Oranda and it would bump and grab the wheel for hours on end). It also loved to lay on top of the Sponge-Filter, did this since it was little.She had a Hagen 30 gallon-rated HOB and that was another source of enjoyment for it. It would go to the top,enter the waterfall stream,go to the bottom with it and turn around and do it again.

I mentioned all these things to show that this was one happy,well-adjusted, comfortable fish. But, don't put a fish that can attain the length a Comet or a common can in a tank. It would be okay for a couple of years but, it'll get crowded.

BTW, with her typical sense of Humor, my Daughter Amy, named the Oranda Spot.
    Last edited by Dave Waits; 12-06-2012 at 06:45 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Orandas also grow large. I wouldn't attempt to keep one in a 20 gallon or it will grow up to be stunted.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazedMichael
    To be considered a true aquarist, you would put goldfish in a pond as they get very big
    Really? Now that I think about it I guess I never have been considered a true aquarist... Oh well, I can save that for the elite.

Bigger is always better, I don't really have anything to add to what's been said regarding size, but another key is at least double filtration (that's always a good rule for any tank, but especially with goldfish as they are dirty little buggers)