· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Talking Opinions on additions?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone! So long story short, I've had my tank (36 G bowfront) for almost a year now but my dinosaur bichir has recently decided to be carnivorous and therefore eaten most of my tank. So far he has gone through about 10 zebra danios and a pretty small rainbow shark. Currently, I have him and one large red tailed shark and one large rainbow shark.

So my question is, what do YOU think I should add to the tank. It's pretty bare now :(

Oh, I currently have a couple cave options that I switch out regularly for variety and I try to keep at least 5 fake plants in there. Gravel substrate.

0 Not allowed!
    Well..

Hardly surprising that a growing predator "suddenly decides to become carnivorous"

Not what you want to hear I think but I'd add nothing. The bichir is easily going to grow to 15 inches and bichirs will attempt to eat anything that fits into their mouths. Both "sharks" also like their space. In my opinion your current tank is simply too small to provide these with long term accommodations.

Should you decide to upgrade look for something reasonably big and preferably something that sticks to the upper water levels. Leopard Ctenopoma is an option.

The few bichirs I've seen in tanks didn't strike me as very intelligent so even a big pleco, which can be kept in big cichlid tanks with the serious bruisers, is probably not a good option.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie
    Well..

Hardly surprising that a growing predator "suddenly decides to become carnivorous"

Not what you want to hear I think but I'd add nothing. The bichir is easily going to grow to 15 inches and bichirs will attempt to eat anything that fits into their mouths. Both "sharks" also like their space. In my opinion your current tank is simply too small to provide these with long term accommodations.

Should you decide to upgrade look for something reasonably big and preferably something that sticks to the upper water levels. Leopard Ctenopoma is an option.

The few bichirs I've seen in tanks didn't strike me as very intelligent so even a big pleco, which can be kept in big cichlid tanks with the serious bruisers, is probably not a good option.

I'd love to get a bigger tank but that just can't financially happen right now :P It just too quiet of a tank for my likings. If I get anything it'd be one larger fish (too big to be easily eaten) to keep things active. Idk :/

I MIGHT be able to get my hands on a cheap 60 g. If so, would that change your suggestions? Thanks for your input

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah.. well... I can understand that it looks too quiet now but, in my opinion, that's one of the consequences of keeping a predator. Tank mates is always a big challenge. That's the reason why so many fishkeepers go for schooling species.

With these fish the old rule of "if it fit's into a tank mate's mouth sooner or later it will" is very true.

What I think you're after is not one single fish like that Ctenopoma I mentioned but a school of something that's too big to become bichir food. I can't think of anything that would fit that bill and that could live in your current tank. With a 60 gallon some things come to mind like the tinfoil barb but I don't have enough knowledge to judge if that would work in a tank that size and with a bichir.

Outside and rather cruel option, add a lot of plants and a bunch of guppies and hope enough survive.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie
    Yeah.. well... I can understand that it looks too quiet now but, in my opinion, that's one of the consequences of keeping a predator. Tank mates is always a big challenge. That's the reason why so many fishkeepers go for schooling species.

With these fish the old rule of "if it fit's into a tank mate's mouth sooner or later it will" is very true.

What I think you're after is not one single fish like that Ctenopoma I mentioned but a school of something that's too big to become bichir food. I can't think of anything that would fit that bill and that could live in your current tank. With a 60 gallon some things come to mind like the tinfoil barb but I don't have enough knowledge to judge if that would work in a tank that size and with a bichir.

Outside and rather cruel option, add a lot of plants and a bunch of guppies and hope enough survive.

I totally agree with that old rule. I had a school of zebra danios which were totally compatible with my sharks but thats also when I noticed that dino (as I affectionately call him :P) was becoming carnivorous. I'd love to have a school but I don't want to sacrifice more fish lol. I'll look into the Ctenopoma. Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    This should be an easy decision. You have one fish that is too large for the tank and kills everything you put in the tank. So? Get rid of the dinosaur bichir so you can have the fish tank you wanted to have. And don't stock it with fish unsuitable for the length of the tank.

The redtail also did not belong in that tank.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not a whole lot can be done with a 36 Gallon. I think a larger gourami might work...but its a risk. Silver dollars are good but will eat your plants. Also larger ciclids could work.

There are a ton of cheap tanks on Craigs list. I would do one of two things:

1 - Get a 20-30 gallon tank and rehome the birchir in the new tank alone. Then restock your 36 Gallon with community fish.

2 - Get a 60 - 90 gallon tank, and look into larger fish, flowerhorn, larger cichlids, oscars, tin foil barbs, etc.

****also its recommended that you have 1 shark species per tank, and that the tank be a minimum of 4 feet so they have room to patrol and swim the tank****

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavis1979
    Not a whole lot can be done with a 36 Gallon. I think a larger gourami might work...but its a risk. Silver dollars are good but will eat your plants. Also larger ciclids could work.

1 - Get a 20-30 gallon tank and rehome the birchir in the new tank alone. Then restock your 36 Gallon with community fish.

2 - Get a 60 - 90 gallon tank, and look into larger fish, flowerhorn, larger cichlids, oscars, tin foil barbs, etc.

****also its recommended that you have 1 shark species per tank, and that the tank be a minimum of 4 feet so they have room to patrol and swim the tank****
    Thanks for the tips. I would love a cichlid tank and have thought about getting maybe 2 med/large sized ones but idk :/ I also have a friend who might be willing to sell me his 60 g so that MIGHT be an option. Also, my sharks have actually gotten along better than any fish I have had in my tank... shocked me. Getting a smaller one might be an option. Not sure

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavis1979

I'm sorry but there's plenty of things you can do with a 36 gallon. Housing a community and a bichir isn't one of them. A 36 can easily house a nice sized school of small to medium sized fish.

Also... putting a bichir that can easily get to 15 inches in a 30 gallon is not a realistic option. A 30 gallon is what? 30 inches? 36 maybe? That poor fish won't have room to move.

10. Default New idea

0 Not allowed!
    If I start feeding my bichir more meat matter do you think that would prevent him eating more fish? lol. Just a thought I had.