· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: GSP Tankmates?

1. Default GSP Tankmates?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all!

I have a quick question. I recently bough 2 GSP's for my brackish tank. I'm in the process of turning to to full salt, since they will need that in the near future. I recently have 5 assorted platies, 1 pictus catfish, and 1 goldfish (who soon will go to another tank.). I've had them for about a week and they are doing great. I was just curious to what other fish these guys can go with?

I know they're extremely aggressive, and can turn as they get older.
    "You can never do too much research. The more the better."

55g - 2 Green Spotted Puffers, 5 assorted Platies, 1 Goldfish, 1 Pictus Catfish.

(And my beloved Betta Fish, Crescent and Reginald Maroon Cinco - Both in 5 Gallons alone.)

Past critters:
    Snowflake Moray Eel, Sengal Bichir, Violet Dragon Goby, Assorted Angels, Baby Whale Fish, Royal Farlowella, African Knife, Assorted Mollies, Lavender, Gold, and Kissing Gouramis.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    so you shouldn't buy fish until you have the setup ready for them....

but beside that.
    1: your pictus cat more than likely does not and will not appreciate the brackish waters
    2: gsp are species only set ups this is because of their aggression. it isn't a matter of "they can turn" its when will they...
    i would be concerned that they don't start to harass and disturb all your other fish.
    3: goldfish do not like brakish waters either.

you really need to rehome all your other fish if you plan to keep the gsp's.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My pictus has been living in brackish for a good 6 months now, and he is doing just fine. The only fish I plan on re-homing soon is the platies and the goldfish.

Thank you for the advice though. I appreciate it.

EDIT: Just realized I was putting "pictus" . My little guy is a Black Fin Shark. OOPS. ;)
    Last edited by msjaybirdy; 12-06-2012 at 04:52 AM.

55g - 2 Green Spotted Puffers, 5 assorted Platies, 1 Goldfish, 1 Pictus Catfish.

(And my beloved Betta Fish, Crescent and Reginald Maroon Cinco - Both in 5 Gallons alone.)

Past critters:
    Snowflake Moray Eel, Sengal Bichir, Violet Dragon Goby, Assorted Angels, Baby Whale Fish, Royal Farlowella, African Knife, Assorted Mollies, Lavender, Gold, and Kissing Gouramis.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    right, but that doesn't mean the catfish enjoys it.

i could add salt to my tank, but my pleco would hate it. he may not "show" it, but it isn't their natural habitat to be in a brackish set up.

the same applies to your pictus. he technically has no choice, so he's adapting and trying to survive in water that isn't suited for him. of course he'll look "fine" but if you keep him there, i wouldn't expect him to live out his full life, he'll be too stressed and dealing with salt to be healthy.

edit: based on your edit...
    if you really do have the blackfinned shark, which is technically a catfish. he'll need a bigger home too. he gets as long, if not can get longer than your tank is deep: meaning he won't be able to even turn around in your tank.
    you can't keep a 12inch catfish in a 55gallon. that doesn't work.
    Last edited by mizzoutank; 12-06-2012 at 05:00 AM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Like I stated, hes a Black-Finned Shark. I knew something was off. And I said that I planned on re-homing my other fish.

Past critters:

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    see my edit.

summary: 12in+ catfish does NOT belong in a 55gallon tank. way way way too small of a tank for that fish. would not be able to turn around....thats cruel

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I understand what you are saying, believe me. I was giving the wrong information at my LFS, and went home and did the research. As of now, he is only about 2 inches long. WHEN he does start to outgrow the tank, I plan on moving him to my families 125 g brackish tank.

I am not cruel. All of my fish have been very happy and well taken care of.

So, let's leave it at that.

Past critters: