· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast
  1. Default 5 gal betta tank redo to planted tank

0 Not allowed!
    I’ve had my 5 gal betta tank for well over a year. It contains a blue and red crown tail betta (Raylan) and 6 neons. I know. Many here would object to anything more than the betta in a tank that size but the neons ended up with him by accident ( 30 gal tank emergency and they needed a temp home). However, a year later, they are still there, thriving and by all appearances content. So – that’s my stock.

Nitrates never go higher than 5ppm with weekly water changes and 2 small cascade HOB filters that produce very little flow which makes for a happy betta.

This tank has a betta log (ceramic) which Raylon loves to zip in and out of all the holes and a lava rock with a hole in it where he usually sleeps. The neons also sleep inside the log. Consequently, while not natural, these 2 pieces must remain in the tank to keep Raylan and the Neons happy (sounds like a 50’s Motown group). Also in the tank was gravel substrate and several marbles and some quartz rocks and a snail shell and 2 silk plants. Also an anubis tied to driftwood that never grew but never died either.
    The tank, before:
    1-5 gal redo 033.JPG
    Cute but not natural. Those are the 4 grandkids btw in their snorkels and swim suits watching over the fish.

I decided I wanted to take a stab at a planted tank because I love the natural look and I know it’s better for the fish. Also I have a continuing problem with diatoms in this tank as well as in my 90 gal tank and after much discussion with those here much more experienced than I, have determined the diatom issue is not due to water (since my 30 gal has no diatoms) but due, most likely, to the gravel substrate which must be heavy in silicates. So this is also an experiment to see if the end result will mean 0 diatoms in the 5 gal and if so, I’ll seek a similar solution in the 90.
    I purchased the following:
    Fluorite – black, 4 plants – micro sword and variegated micro sword, Dwarf baby tears, Banana plant.

more on next post - and bear with me. I'm having difficulty loading photos and now can't seem to delete them. :o(
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fishmommie; 05-15-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    part 2
    Step 1:
    Removed plants from containers and peeled wool floss from roots.
    Separated plants. Cut string attaching existing Anubis to a small piece of driftwood so it, too could be planted
    Dipped new plants in 10% bleach 90% water 3 times to insure no snails, then soaked in prime treated water until time to plant

here are the plants removed from their pots
    1-5 gal redo 042.JPG

Step2:
    Drained water from 5 gal to a clean bucket, netted fish, installed heater in bucket, added a bubbler and removed motors from filters then sank filters with media in the bucket with fish to keep from drying out.
    Removed background. Removed 2 silk plants
    Cleaned diatoms off betta log and lava rock
    Emptied gravel from tank and cleaned tank with several rinses and vinegar wash

Step3:
    Poured one inch of fluorite into tank (did not rinse)
    Planted new plants and the old anubus and repositioned betta log.

here's the tank from above with the plants in place
    1-5 gal redo 044.JPG
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I like the start! You will be fiddling with it for a year or more to get what you want. Got to love the new delve into a new area of the hobby!
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    part 3

Covered bottom of tank with newspaper then using a pitcher slowly poured water over the newspaper to keep the fourite from drifting into water. Used water from the fish bucket.

1-5 gal redo 051.JPG

Once tank was 1/2 full, carefully removed newspaper, then filled a gallon zip lock bag with treated water (same temp as tank) and holding bag closed, inverted until submerged then slowly released the water to avoid stirring up fluorite. Repeated until tank was full.
    Added new background to back of tank
    Added filters and heater and added fish, added hood.
    Water was a tad cloudy for about 4 6 hours then cleared completely.

1-5 gal redo 054.JPG

Redo from start to finish took about 1 hours. Thanks to Sandz for telling me about this method of planting with fluorite which saved tons of time and work had I rinsed the fluorite first.

Here's the tank all cleared up the next day

1-5 gal 041.JPG

And here's Raylan peaking out of his log.

1-5 gal 017.JPG

Yet to do: order replacement bulb for hood as the bulb I have is over a year old and is not geared toward plants. I purchase only low light plants as I want very low maintenance.
    Also need to adjust the background as I have some air bubbles between it and the back of the tank.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Should I add some taller plants in the back? Reposition any of the existing plants? Put my snorkeling grandchildren BACK as part of the background? :o)

0 Not allowed!
    Looks to me like Raylan may like bananas? He sure is checking them out in picture 3.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Looks to me like Raylan may like bananas? He sure is checking them out in picture 3.
    Raylan likes EVERYTHING. He's a very curious betta.
    And he's officially given his stamp of approval on his new digs - watched him build a nice big bubble nest up in the corner of the tank this morning.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, he's put his seal of approval on the arrangement. What more do you need?
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie 
    It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    part 3Comments and suggestions are welcome. Should I add some taller plants in the back? Reposition any of the existing plants? Put my snorkeling grandchildren BACK as part of the background? :o)
    If Raylan misses the snorkeling grandchildren, then I would put them back! Maybe a med tall plant to help hide the heater? Otherwise, I like the new look.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Cool change over; thanks for sharing.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    If Raylan misses the snorkeling grandchildren, then I would put them back! Maybe a med tall plant to help hide the heater? Otherwise, I like the new look.
    Yeah - Raylan's not the only one who misses the kids. :o)
    And thanks. I agree. maybe an amazon sword in that corner. I could even get some hornwort and tuck a stem or two into the substrate to anchor it.
    thanks!