· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

For your AC tank! - Northernguy Nice job on the tank! - Brookfish I sure hope this helps! lol Good luck! - Northernguy congrats on the fish - Lab_Rat This is a lucky Neon! - Northernguy 
    Such a good fish Mommy! lol - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish Sorry about your Guppy! - Brookfish i hope the guppies are okay :) - Demi ^_^ this is a guppy? lol - domjd05 
    Happy B-Day :) - Agassizii Happy Birthday =D - Aeonflame Happy Birthday! - Brookfish for an excellent post - Lab_Rat thanks for the gift XD - genocidex 
    This makes 2, 8 to go! - homemadepopcorn thanks so much for coming to my aid! - fishmommie 

Default Peacock Cichlids

0 Not allowed!
    I know I keep asking questions lol. I'm so annoying.

I'm playing with some ideas for my 55 gallon and thinking of swapping out the corycats I was considering for another more peaceful cichlid.

I've read that Peacock Cichlids are "peaceful" in comparison to other cichlids, and that they do well with Angels, despite being from a different habitat. Would you guys say that I would be alright having 4-6 Peacocks in with 1 angel, a pair of GBR and one or two medium schools of smallish characins?

I don't wanna go nuts and overstock so I was originally thinking 4... but I read that they're a schooling type fish and like to be in groups of 5 or 6?

It's going to be moderately planted and has a rena XP3 filter on it. I'm thinking of keeping the temperature at a solid 80 Fahrenheit like my other two tanks.
    29 Gallon Tank : planted. stock: 2 GBR, 13 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 otocinclus, bn pleco
    Journal

6.6 Fluval Chi: planted. stock: 1 male halfmoon betta
    Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Do you mean Aulonocara from Lake Malawi? They are relatively peaceful, however require different water chemistry to South American fish.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

Awards Showcase

For your AC tank! - Northernguy Nice job on the tank! - Brookfish I sure hope this helps! lol Good luck! - Northernguy congrats on the fish - Lab_Rat This is a lucky Neon! - Northernguy 
    Such a good fish Mommy! lol - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish Sorry about your Guppy! - Brookfish i hope the guppies are okay :) - Demi ^_^ this is a guppy? lol - domjd05 
    Happy B-Day :) - Agassizii Happy Birthday =D - Aeonflame Happy Birthday! - Brookfish for an excellent post - Lab_Rat thanks for the gift XD - genocidex 
    This makes 2, 8 to go! - homemadepopcorn thanks so much for coming to my aid! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonflame
    Do you mean Aulonocara from Lake Malawi? They are relatively peaceful, however require different water chemistry to South American fish.
    Yeah!

I had read that, but also did a search and saw a lot of situations where people successfully kept them with Angels with no problems, that's why I wanted to ask here. I don't want to get them if it won't work, but if anyone here has had experience or success keeping them together I was hoping to hear from them. Mostly because I know most fish can adapt to pH and live happily in a pH different than what they're native to.

Are there other conditions that they differ in? the AC profile on them doesn't seem to list habitat specs.
    29 Gallon Tank : planted. stock: 2 GBR, 13 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 otocinclus, bn pleco
    Journal

Journal

0 Not allowed!
    IMO you should never mix Lake Malawi cichlids with even cichlids from other african lakes. Let alone new world cichlids. This isn't to say it won't work, but I honestly believe you have a huge chance of running into stress issues and aggression issues. Not to mention that there are different dietary requirements as well.

BTW, they are peaceful in comparison to other malawi cichlids, not tropical fish or new world cichlids.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i'll be honest, that angel will get big and dominate your 55.

the entire tank will be his space. It is in his blood being that type of cichlid.

I wouldn't mix cichlids like that. in the future when the angel develop's their normal attitude, you'll have so much aggression.

i suggest you get 2 big schools of tetra to fill in around the angel/ebr's that you have.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, thanks for the info, guys! I hate that there is so much conflicting information online--that's why I always ask here.

On aquariacentral peacocks were suggested as perfect tankmates for Angels lmao.

I'm going to play with stocking ideas a bit more. Maybe have more than 1 pair of dwarf cichlid or something. (like a pair of bolivians and a pair of gbr.) I'll have the footprint for it, and there will be plenty of hidey holes and plants.
    Journal

Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Just like here, the quality of advice you get depends completely on who is giving the advice. I would not ever put an angel with peacocks, and I have kept an angel with fish such as JDs, nics, and psittacus. Peacocks have different body language and the "peaceful" is usually in comparison to mbuna. Peacocks can be quite aggressive.

After keeping peacocks in a 55g, I would not do it again. I have upgraded my male peacock/hap tank to a 75g and it is much better. They get larger than you would expect and a 55g is just too tight of living quarters.

If you're looking for a milder mannered cichlid, you could do a colony of rainbow cichlids. You could keep a group of 6 or so in a 55g, they don't tend to be too territorial. A colony of bolivians would be another good option, or GBR, but I would not mix the two. Apistogramma species are neat little cichlids too. Any of those should work with an angel.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.