· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Hello from the East Coast.

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all. I guess I will begin by saying... I'm finally getting a tank after years of holding back because of no room to place it and no time but now I dont care and getting one anyway. I haven't had a fish tank for many years back and now I want to get back to it. I consider myself a born again newbie sad to say but still looking forward to it.

So, now to what my plans are for any advice from anyone and all. I first thought of getting a 10gallon tank but I realized I will be limited so I'm going for a 29gallon tank since they have decent deal that ends december 31. The one I have in mind is the Aqueon 29 gallon deluxe kit (heater, quiet flow filter, fluorescent lighting, fish net, fish food sample, starter guide) for less than $120 if I recall correctly and $20 dollars worth of fish. One thing I dont have much info on is the tank stand, hoping they have one at the store that wont break my pockets.

I think to get back in, its not bad to get this and add better products down the road if needed. My question is are the Aqueon tanks and starter kits worth investing and what to do preparation wise before investing in fish. I hear I should cycle the tank atleast 24 hours, 2-3 days or 4-6 weeks. Not sure which is viable. Also, water prep, tap water and water conditioner prep (add conditioner each water change and/or possible just adding it without changing water berween water changes), gravel or sand substance, ph levels, etc.

I've look at a few tropical fish but couldnt decide on what to start with knowing its a new tank cycle and their stress levels. I'm open to any suggestions. Possible breeding and plants down the road but not until maybe much later once I get comfortable again. I'm sure I'm missing some other questions, it's late and tired lol and I know I'm asking a lot but I'm a person of details and specifics so that I get the job done right with no or fewer mistakes later on. I hear great things about this forum so I hope you all can advise the way. Thanks in advance.

Awards Showcase

am sure I deserve a few of these... lol - Cyberra Thanks for sharing your X-stitch fish pillow project! - Aminax for being prone to computer problems - Cyberra happy birthday to me... August 29th - Cyberra earned ANOTHER one... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh - Cyberra 
    I dub thee official greeter to the forum! - korith Happy Belated One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue You need another betta! - Pleco380 it birtha the birthday betta XD - genocidex A birthday betta for you. - mermaidwannabe 
    You need a popsicle after wheelbarrow races! haha - escamosa Where there's plows, there's piggies! :) - escamosa You need some grapes, 'cause they were mentioned in the riddle! haha - escamosa to congratulate you on 2 years! - andreahp Here's one Christmas present! - Rue 
    I'm sorry I couldn't ship you one!! Forgive me! - bethyMT ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith this might help numb your lips lol - Gogi For being awesome and bringing me here. :) - Flyby Stardancer We need to get you up so you have as many bettas as you do in RL. ;) - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the community.

I can't speak on the Aqueon sets, but I can tell you that cycling a tank takes much longer than 24 hours, or a few days. It can take a MONTH or longer. PLEASE make sure to read our stickies on properly cycling a tank. Your fish will thank you for it. It also requires pure ammonia if you choose to do a fishless cycle, or hardy fish and daily water changes if you choose to go with a fish-in cycle.

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to AC. I have also used the starter kits and upgraded with time permitting. Other things are more important to have in the beginning like test kits and a water vacuum.

Cycling threads are below.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Northernguy A recruit for your piggy army - MuckyFish Piggy Sentry for your Piggy Army hopefully they help you not lose brakes. - MuckyFish beer for the birthday boy - Lady Hobbs For it’s medicinal properties, cheers and get well soon - Cliff 
    thank you - Indian Woods Angels Hammy Holidays to you! - Trillianne Have a great christmas gadget - Cliff Have a Christmas coral - Aeonflame Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    For the birthday thread. Thanks. - Strider199 Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year! - Rue Here comes the holiday swine, who hopes your holidays were divine! - Trillianne 
    Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thank you! Second round is on me : ) - mommy1 Thanks for spicing up the ban game! - pRED 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - gadget228 Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - gadget228 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gadget228 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - gadget228 Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus -  Animal Cruelty - gadget228 
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - gadget228 Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - gadget228 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gadget228 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC...
    You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the Family!

0 Not allowed!
    I think the Aqueon kits are very good for a start. I'm not crazy about their filters and upgraded mine to an Aquaclear rated for twice the volume of the tank. So in your case, that would be the AC50 or AC70 (preferred). But you could start with what the kit provides.

1) Read the stickies as suggested on cycling. Hope you can have the patience to cycle without fish.
    2) Get the API Master fresh water test kit, not testing strips.
    3) Look into getting a Python or Aqueon water changer. These hook to a faucet and make water changes so much easier.
    4) Since it will take several weeks to cycle the tank properly, use this time to research what fish species you like that will be appropriate for the size of the tank and their compatibility with each other.
    5) Consider live plants. They add both to the beauty of the tank and the comfort of many fish. There are some fish, however, who will just snack on them or rip them up so it will depend on what you decide get. Your lighting and substrate will also determine what will flourish, but there are many plants available that do well in a low tech setting.

0 Not allowed!
    I actually have one of the Aqueon 29 Starter kits. Everything works in it great, however the filter provided can pose a challenge. Since its cartridge driven, when the cartridge gives out you are forced to change the whole thing and you'd lose your cycle. To combat it, I also placed on the tank next to it a small Aqua Clear 20 filter, housing that with just the sponge, and two bags of the bio max ceramics. This way, if the cartridge truly requires replacing I know I'm not going to lose the cycle in my tank.

I also found the filter, though rated for the tank was just not enough to keep the tank at optimal conditions. The second small filter made it perfect.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    Starter kits tend to be a good way to get your feet wet.

As to affordable stands... perhaps there's a sturdy chest of drawers on craigslist?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I appreciate all the info, I will keep you all updated on what I get and post picks when I can. If I come across any issues, I know who to contact, thanks all.